First dual coil ... is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansslipon

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
Today I made my first dual coil on rda. Made 5 wraps of 32awg on 2mm silica wick x2 gave me aprox 2ohm coils. When I set them up on RDA and checked resistance of the atty it gave me 1ohm (1.3 -.3 form multimeter) but it was bit unstable as hand are a bit shaky so i guess it can be 0.9. I use it on Mech 18350 mod with AW IMR Battery...
So... am I risking vaping it or not really... It getting bit warm time to time when I chain vape but NOT hot.
And is it ok what it cuts ohms a half when I dual coil it ? or i done it wrong on 3 posts?

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
If you make solid contact, it should give you a solid reading. I've never used a cheap multimeter though. Make sure contacts are tight.

6 amp continuous rating? I checked at full charge with 0.8 to give you some wiggle room, if it is 1ohm for the circuit. That is 5.25 amps. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
yep, be careful when you are starting out with dual coil builds as it is easy to get into the sub ohm range and
have an
1h7zvn.gif
issue with your battery

Bigger is better (safer) until you understand your batteries better

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
If your ohms are fluctuating on reading usually a sign of screws not being tight enough or part of the coil is grounding out creating a short. Tighten up the screws and see if the coil is touching the deck or post some where. If touching you can pry it away with a mini screwdriver. And yes, ohms on duals is half the resistance of the individual coil. Also make sure each coil is as exact to each other as possible and that all the mounting legs are the same length. When you pulse it, the coils should heat up evenly.

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA
Maybe stick a pin down in the silica so you can get more even coils? Thats why i abandoned silica pretty much after 1 try lol. I just wrap my Kanthal around a drill bit (2mm) or something similar. And I made exactly one coil with 7 or so wraps, and the rest are 9-10-11...dont want my batt blowing my elf face off.

Im too pretty to die like that. I want to die being chased by a horde of large breasted women and being smothered to death after they capture me.

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA
I had a cheap multimeter but I said...meh, took it back to Harbor Freight ...got some needlenosed pliers and some tiny screwdrivers so I could make better coils..lol...

ill get a decent resistance meter asap, so i dont *explode*

ah, hit up my blog entry for info on doing coils w/ a 2mm drill bit...there is a link to a video I found quite helpful

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I use blunt tip syringe needles to wrap my micro coils. Great tool for wrapping coils and mounting too. If you are getting into rebuildables, I'd recommend pricking up basic build tools as you go along. A Ronson Butane torch would come in quite handy for building. I found one at Walmart, it's great for heat your coil wires, and then you can sqeeze your coil with pliers and set them. This gives the wraps as close as possible, increase the efficiency of the build. Also great for pre heating your wire before wrapping it and makes the wire less springy. Great for quickly oxidizing SS mesh too. I like having a full selection of sizes of the needles, this way in can use a different diameter build to change my omhs and wicking easily. I have needle tip tweezers which come in handy in all facets of building. They are cheap and you can just get next time you order juice.

I like using small plastic Tupperware style of square containers for storing my wire reels and spare wick material, and transporting my rba to the sink when I break it down and wash it out. Nice to hold the small parts and not get lost. Most of the stuff I had laying around and the needles I had on hand since I DIY juice too. But use them more for building and mounting than I do for drawing extract flavors, and have become an invaluable tool I'd recommend them even if you don't mix your own.

I get most my building supplies from LIGNING VAPES , they have great prices and fast shipping.

Last edited:

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
Made a new one today 7 wraps on doubled 2mm wick ...about 1.5ohm build. got into another problem :( strange taste! cant feel much of a flavor and it tickles my throat time to time so i start couthing ... no burning taste and vaper production is so-so.
View attachment 277946
can it be my wicking ? :D

Unless you're building micro coils, 1.5 ohms on a dripping atty is a waste of time in my opinion. The vapor production will continue to be poor unless you take really long slow drags. The tickle could be either throat hit, burning wick, or the juice you are using is high in PG.

If you are set on using 32 gauge for coils, try twisting the wire together before wrapping coils. You might want to go lower ohm's for higher vapor production.

Personally I use a twisted 32 gauge dual coil 4/5 wrap in one of my atty's. It measures 0.56 ohms. I must stress, only do this if you have the proper hardware, I.E. High amp batt's, ohm meter, an atty with proper airflow, and a good performing mech mod.

vansslipon

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
Unless you're building micro coils, 1.5 ohms on a dripping atty is a waste of time in my opinion. The vapor production will continue to be poor unless you take really long slow drags. The tickle could be either throat hit, burning wick, or the juice you are using is high in PG.

If you are set on using 32 gauge for coils, try twisting the wire together before wrapping coils. You might want to go lower ohm's for higher vapor production.

Personally I use a twisted 32 gauge dual coil 4/5 wrap in one of my atty's. It measures 0.56 ohms. I must stress, only do this if you have the proper hardware, I.E. High amp batt's, ohm meter, an atty with proper airflow, and a good performing mech mod.

Thank you! Made my first twisted coil (damn it was a pain in the ... to twist this wire :D) took 33awg wire for that made a dual coil 1.1ohm... so I could use it on 350s. cant go lower with them. flavor is great and vapour production is sweet! And im out of wick and wire for now :) need to grab some more

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
Thank you! Made my first twisted coil (damn it was a pain in the ... to twist this wire :D) took 33awg wire for that made a dual coil 1.1ohm... so I could use it on 350s. cant go lower with them. flavor is great and vapour production is sweet! And im out of wick and wire for now :) need to grab some more

I use a set of locking pliers or tweezers on one end and a knitting needle from walmart for the other and just roll the knitting needle between my fingers to twist the wire. After it's twisted I torch it so the twists will hold before I work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread