First mech..... FINALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtmane

Jan 29, 2014
ohio
Bought a stingray off a friend today. For a really good price. It's a little beat up as far as how it looks. But it works great! I also got a couple dripper tanks out the deal!
I got a battery. Vtc5 now I just need a charger. And I'm trying to decide do I REALLY need a ohm reader right now? He build a dual coil for me and it clocked in at .4 on the mvp v2... cant I just use that to read ohms?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Bought a stingray off a friend today. For a really good price. It's a little beat up as far as how it looks. But it works great! I also got a couple dripper tanks out the deal!
I got a battery. Vtc5 now I just need a charger. And I'm trying to decide do I REALLY need a ohm reader right now? He build a dual coil for me and it clocked in at .4 on the mvp v2... cant I just use that to read ohms?

You can check atty ohms on the MVP, but I also like to check atty resistance when it's screwed on the mod. The 510 connection can short and that's a hard short. It wouldn't take long for your VTC5 to vent in that situation and then it's toast.

The other thing is battery voltage. How will you know when to change the battery? I have had it happen that I've run a battery all the way down to 2.5V. Any lower than that and it can become hard to get the battery to recover depending on how low it got and the charger you have. Once you have a feel for the way it vapes you can tell when the voltage gets low pretty well, but without a DMM to help you along you're shooting in the dark.

Even the cheap ones are pretty good these days. My first one was $15 shipped from Amazon.

Have fun with it and vape safe :)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
At some point, you need to obtain a decent DMM. With just an Ohm meter, all you can read is resistance. With a DMM, you can test conductivity, resistance and voltage... all of which may come in handy, should you experience any problems with the mech, RDAs or batteries.

One of the better low cost chargers is the Nitecore Intellicharger... usually under $20 for the 4 bay.

As a new mech user, it's easy to get excited about the quality of the vape... great flavor, big(ger) clouds etc etc, but... it's in your best interests, for your safety and the safety of those around you, to understand the basics of Ohms law, IMR batteries and the science of coil building.
Please click on my second sig line hyperlink... read the article and all linked articles within. You'll be rewarded with knowledge for your efforts.

Have fun ;-)

Ahhh... Ryedan my friend. Ya' beat me. :p

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
I would suggest you get your friend to show you how to build your own coils, and then build a single coil above 1 ohm until you are comfortable and well educated about mechanicals and sub-ohm vaping. At 0.4 ohms you don't have a lot of room for error. (It is also worth noting that a 1.5 - 2.0 coil can give you a very nice vape and will be much safer.)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thanks for the replies! So a ohm reader is pretty important then. I'll have to Google what a DMM, is. I never heard of that one. Is a DMM and a ohm reader the same thing? Sorry for the stupid question... I've been vaping for about 9 months. Cig free. But this whole mech, coil building stuff is all completely new to me!
A DMM is a digital multi-meter... with emphasis on the multi aspect. You can perform volt, amp, ohm, temperature and continuity tests, using a variety of probe attachments.
They range in price from under $10... to several thousand dollars. I'd suggest investing at least $30 in one (to insure a modicum of "quality"), and preferably a little bit to a good bit more, if you can afford it.

You'll get to a level of personal satisfaction. Proceed at your own pace and don't succumb to the pressures of those who want you to join them at their level... until you are comfortable with the more technical requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread