First mech mod buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tica02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Minne-soda!
I've been vaping for about 4 years. Started with all the cigalikes like a lot of people. Spent the majority of my time with ego/kgo and carto tanks. I now own a istick and a vaporshark dna 30 with nautilus' on top.

I have an Atlantis and a cf sub on the way to me but probably not until after Christmas. I'm wanting a mech mod and I've read up on battery safety, charging, sub ohm quite a bit over the years. I feel confident that I understand everything I need to but just have a couple concerns/questions.

I know that you shouldn't run imr batteries completely dead. Is there an easy way to tell or do you need to remove and check the volts? What happens if you let them die?

I also presume I've picked decent amp batteries for sub ohms, and since Sony vtc are hard to come by I chose these. I assume these are also suitable for other ohm coils I may build.

Would you take a look at my cart and make any suggestions? Thanks!!

5af9e25d553a459dc06bc6bb1c60163f.jpg

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nothing wrong with those efest batteries, they're all I use because they're the highest I can get locally. However, that being said they aren't 35amp continuous, they're 20amp with a 35amp pulse rating. I won't use them for less than a 0.23ohm build for my own peace of mind. TOBH is an awesome atty, if they have a CLT though I'd go that route, slightly easier to build on for dual coils, however the CLT doesn't really cater to single coil at all - your personal coil preference is what matters here.

As for the Nemi - you may want to look at finding a set of magnets for the switch, I hated mine off the bat but now that I'm using magnets in there it's not too bad; not as good as my stingray but they still look awesome ;)

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Personally, I'm not a big fan of anything Hcigar and the Nemesis is not a favorite of mine either. Look for a hybrid mech, fewer parts to fiddle with. I'm running a couple of SMPL clones right now and love them. A Sigelei box mod will rock your world too!! You can run that Tobh easily on it and anything else you desire as well.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Can't say anything against the Nemesis. Purchasing a Clone of the original always has risk, no matter which Manufacturer you choose. That said, I have 9 Nemesis Clones and enjoy using them.
Honestly, just moving to Sub ohm and using Giant Clearomizers to do it, I would recommend something like the IPV mini. It really isn't mini but it is a very well regulated 30 watt mod. A whole lot of users have already coupled the Atlantis and IPV mini for a welcome vape experience.

Batteries - Efest is okay your application.
Samsung and LG are more reputable and there 20amp batteries are as safe as any Efest.

* SMPL Mod is just that - Simple..................... and dangerious in the hands of an inexperienced vapor.
The fixed, non removable top cap stops any inspection/verification of proper 510 fit.
The recessed, Need a Coin, Switch is not user friendly or safe. (cannot be quickly removed in a panic)

Not saying it has no potential.............. just some concerns on design.

Last edited:

tica02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Minne-soda!
Thankyou to all of you that responded. I'm not really interested in any more box mods right now, and I have a dna 30 already, would like to buy the nemesis because I think it's gorgeous. There is another place I can buy it from that has the magnets for it also.
I don't want a hybrid because I can't put the Atlantis on it and I don't want a smpl because it doesn't sound like a good idea lol.
Not to say that I don't want a sigeli in the future. They are really nice.

I will take a look at other batteries also - I know Sony vtc is available at one of the two places I was looking at too.

Thankyou for all suggestions. I'd certainly read any others. This is the other site I was looking at.

d2fe590125dd3cefd9f361d5a0081a44.jpg

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
You'll enjoy the magnet upgrade. I used my Nemesis for a week without the magnets (Occasionally swearing at it) while I waited for them in the mail. Threw them in and the difference was pretty impressive - best couple of bucks I've spent for any mod. I don't like its lack of hard-hitting however I can't argue with the fact it's one of the more attractive mods in a simplistic sense.

tica02

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Minne-soda!
Are the magnets fairly simple to put in?

I'm not looking for any vaping ability outside of .5 - 1.7. So I'm not sure the none hard hitting aspect would bother me too much.

Also can anyone answer my question about draining batteries? I know you aren't supposed to, but what happens if you do? And will you know they're low or should you periodically check them to see?

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga
That Nemesis is a good buy....There will be a period of time getting used to the button but I've had mine (a copper bought from another site) since September.

They are simple to use, Simple to clean, easy to vape on, and dead reliable.

I'd keep my builds above .4 ohms on those batteries!

Battery drain | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

I usually carry a VV mod with me but if I change batteries when I get home they are rarely below 3.6 vdc.

Merry Christmas!

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Are the magnets fairly simple to put in?

I'm not looking for any vaping ability outside of .5 - 1.7. So I'm not sure the none hard hitting aspect would bother me too much.

Also can anyone answer my question about draining batteries? I know you aren't supposed to, but what happens if you do? And will you know they're low or should you periodically check them to see?

Very easy. Literally you just make sure you have them opposing each other, and drop them in. Here's a video of how easy they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3E22tNmFY

At home and at work I have a multimeter anyway, so I pull mine periodically and as soon as they hit around 3.5-ish volts they go on the charger. They could go lower, however on a mech the vapor production at that point just sucks. Fully draining them will run the risk of either completely ruining the batteries ability to charge or to continue to hold a charge.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Can't say anything against the Nemesis. Purchasing a Clone of the original always has risk, no matter which Manufacturer you choose. That said, I have 9 Nemesis Clones and enjoy using them.
Honestly, just moving to Sub ohm and using Giant Clearomizers to do it, I would recommend something like the IPV mini. It really isn't mini but it is a very well regulated 30 watt mod. A whole lot of users have already coupled the Atlantis and IPV mini for a welcome vape experience.

Batteries - Efest is okay your application.
Samsung and LG are more reputable and there 20amp batteries are as safe as any Efest.

* SMPL Mod is just that - Simple..................... and dangerious in the hands of an inexperienced vapor.
The fixed, non removable top cap stops any inspection/verification of proper 510 fit.
The recessed, Need a Coin, Switch is not user friendly or safe. (cannot be quickly removed in a panic)

Not saying it has no potential.............. just some concerns on design.

^^^^^^
I'd like to ditto that

and add, that the SMPL (and other mods using a 'hybrid look' 510 thread) is Not an example of a hybrid.

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
That looks pretty simple I think! Does the nemesis have a locking ring?

Yes I won't be building below .5 - or much above 1.7, do you recommend a higher amp limit anyways or are those still fine?

The Nemi does indeed have a locking ring. Mine was a bit sticky but gave it a nice dry toothbrush scrub and its smooth moving now. Those purple 2500mah batteries are more than capable of handling your needs - I have 4 use a pair exclusively for my Sigelei and a pair that rotate through my mechanical mods. They're 20amp CD so you're safe building as low as 0.23ohm, since you're not going near that anyway, they'll be just fine. On my 0.5ohm mechs they last me quite a while (I've never timed it for my home chain vaping though).

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Perfect. Thankyou for all of your helps. I can do most research myself but sometimes others opinions are better than anything you can find on the Internet. When I get paid I'm certainly ordering it up. I hope this thread can get left here so I can save the video.

Even if you lose the link, just searching on youtube for "Nemesis Magnet" usually has the first 3 as a tutorial on how to install them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread