first mech...mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with VictorViper. The difference between a mechanical mod and a regulated mod is the mech has no chip (no power regulation, no protection circuitry, no onboard voltage/battery meters).

I will also stress (like VictorViper) extreme caution should you choose to use the hybrid connection in place of the 510 connection. The hybrid connectors have been linked to tragic/dangerous results in the hands of unknowledgeable users. Please be careful with all mechs.

upload_2017-7-8_12-15-21-jpeg.670069

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

Last edited:

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
thanks to you both for taking the time to post. it is appreciated.
i do know that this is unregulated and i'm taking nothing lightly.
it might be my first foray into mech mods but i do have an electronics background and am still doing research (it'll be a couple of weeks before i get it also). had already read, and bookmarked, the blog post linked to above.
i'll still no doubt be asking questions and i'll be asking them here. great, knowledgeable, community.
keepin' on keepin' on and keepin' on learning.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
thanks to you both for taking the time to post. it is appreciated.
i do know that this is unregulated and i'm taking nothing lightly.
it might be my first foray into mech mods but i do have an electronics background and am still doing research (it'll be a couple of weeks before i get it also). had already read, and bookmarked, the blog post linked to above.
i'll still no doubt be asking questions and i'll be asking them here. great, knowledgeable, community.
keepin' on keepin' on and keepin' on learning.

Good man, and honestly, do not hesitate with any questions whatsoever. Mechs are all about the effort you put in, so while we usually come out of the gates with heavy safety disclaimers, I promise so long as you can demonstrate some independence in your usage, most of us are more than willing to really get into the nitty gritty with you.

You may find they aren't worth the effort. You may come to love the rituals involved and the subtle differences in the quality of vaping unregulated. If you like to tinker, coil building takes on a whole new dimension with mechs.

Just enjoy yourself and stay safe as you learn, that's the trick.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Good man, and honestly, do not hesitate with any questions whatsoever. Mechs are all about the effort you put in, so while we usually come out of the gates with heavy safety disclaimers, I promise so long as you can demonstrate some independence in your usage, most of us are more than willing to really get into the nitty gritty with you.

You may find they aren't worth the effort. You may come to love the rituals involved and the subtle differences in the quality of vaping unregulated. If you like to tinker, coil building takes on a whole new dimension with mechs.

Just enjoy yourself and stay safe as you learn, that's the trick.
thanks.
questions will be asked and answered i know. hopefully we'll gel and it'll become part of my setup and i'll also be able to provide a bit of guidance down the line for others. that's why we're all here, right? sharing. learning. teaching. exploring. enjoying.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Mechs are like vinyl records. Nobody NEEDS them. They're finicky, require serious user input, routine cleaning, precision tuning, and real synergy with the entire system to make things really sing. You don't make that effort, you're going to have inferior results.

Some folks, weirdos like me, prefer the sound of records. The very minute differences in timbre and soundstaging are everything to me, and worth the effort. Mechs give a similar, subtle variation to regulated vaping, and it is everything.

Needs to be mentioned that this post is going like 4 inception layers deep with "analogue".

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Mechs are like vinyl records. Nobody NEEDS them. They're finicky, require serious user input, routine cleaning, precision tuning, and real synergy with the entire system to make things really sing. You don't make that effort, you're going to have inferior results.

Some folks, weirdos like me, prefer the sound of records. The very minute differences in timbre and soundstaging are everything to me, and worth the effort. Mechs give a similar, subtle variation to regulated vaping, and it is everything.

Needs to be mentioned that this post is going like 4 inception layers deep with "analogue".
i've very recently got a cassette tape deck set up again and am enjoying it very much. all my vinyl got sold, sadly, in a rather dark period of my life.
i enjoy the maintenance side of things and i think i'll like the simplicity of the mech.
will update once paws and device are united.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Be sure to let us know how you like both. :) By the way, why the change?
i will of course give a full report (if i'm honest i also have 3 other mechs incoming :rolleyes: have reached regulated happiness for the moment).
the change? mostly because of the 20700 option but also aesthetics and the guillotine looks nice to build on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread