First order, highly impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subservient

Jul 28, 2011
Afghanistan
I must say, to all of you at Modern Vapor, I am very impressed with your customer service.

I had issues getting my order to go through, but with Sandra's help on the customer service line and a lot of patience on her end, I finally got to order my first real E-Cig. All responses were prompt and courteous, resolution of the issue was far faster than I thought it would be and she's really nice to top it all off.

Thank you guys. I'll be ordering from you again each month for resupply and more gear.

Subservient

Jul 28, 2011
Afghanistan
Just got shipment confirmation. Hopefully everything arrives intact.

I'll be posting an unboxing and review once everything gets here and I've already got a shopping list starting for next month's goodies. Mostly more cartos and juice but I'm thinking of throwing in some XL cartos to give them a shot. The thought of being able to vape unhindered for over about twive as long makes me tingle.

I'm gonna do the review as in-depth as I can. I did a few searches but couldn't find a good review of the 902 like I could for the Sidesho. Its very possible that my google-fu is failing me though. Hopefully if anyone else is looking at getting a 902 they'll be satisified with the one I get banged out.

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
You want reviews, here ya go!

2nd Review of the 902 by Chefduece
Complete NOOB's review of the 902 by *ME*
Anyone Else Love Their Pass-Through?
And just for giggles - My review of the LUX by Modern Vapor by MXBNW

Tips:
The 902 Passthrough simply stays connected to a USB port (or AC) so it never needs recharging. Great if you stay in front of a computer or in a car for long periods of time
The LUX is much bigger to accomodate extended life batteries. It looks cool, and lasts a couple of days (give or take) between charges. LUX + XL carto = easily 2 day sucker between recharge/refills. I've gone 4-5 days between charges on mine.
BOTH the LUX and 902 use the same carts/cartos so you will only need one set of accessories with either.
Get an LR atty for the 902 for better flavor/vapor. Both the LUX and passthrough come with one anyway.

Subservient

Jul 28, 2011
Afghanistan
Thanks for the links! I've spent the last hour reading through them all and now I've got this beautiful beast staring at me through this glowing LCD. That LUX looks ungodly pretty in red... and in blue... and in stainless... TOO MANY CHOICES! Heh, I kid. I'm seriously thinking about picking up a LUX battery as my travel companion as its really easy to get stuck in terminals out here heading between FOB's and bouncing back stateside. Once had a layover of 39 hours in Dubai with no way to use local power. That truly sucked and would have been far more fun with a couple PV's to tide me over.
I'm still waiting on my wonderful package of goodies to get here. Its like the mail is taunting me. I'm hoping it'll get here within the next few days, but ya never know out here. The little mail demon may rear his ugly head. Its been an... interesting week out here in the Afghan and a little ray of joy through the dust storms and stupidity would be a welcome bit of relief.
As far as a tips and tricks thread just for MV stuff, I'm all for it. It'd be nice to have all the good tidbits I keep finding scattered about all in one place.

Cheers gents, here's to hoping the beautiful 902 graces me with its presence soon.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
For a second there, I though you had gotten your package which I thought would have been impressive. You're right about all the LUX colors but Red is my favorite. With your travel, you'll love the LUX. Luckily though, you'll have a PCC with you. WOuld love to hear about the interesting week. :) And if auTONYmous doesn't get on it, I may have to start that thread of tips for you.

Subservient

Jul 28, 2011
Afghanistan
As far as interesting weeks go, this one's been a doozie. I do satellite communications out here and one of the birds I shoot a massive amount of data to is having technical issues. Basically there are so many people transmitting so much data at such high power levels, that the thing is having to do a mini shut down every few hours to cool off. This makes the marines I support very irritated that my wonderful multi-million dollar system isn't working. I had to very calmly tell someone with stars on his collar that, yes, the system still works but it only works as long as the bargain bin satellite I'm shooting to continues to function. The issues have been persistent all week and finally things are getting fixed and the issues are farther apart now, but not gone away.
Fast forward to today, and the reason I want my package to arrive desperately. I haven't slept in almost three days now. In fact, in six hours, I will hit 72 hours awake. Between insomnia and installing new servers in some things, sleep has been a luxury that I can't afford. SO! I get off of my normal shift. Thank god, I can finally get some sleep. I look around, there's no one around and I pull out a cigarette and lo and behold as soon as I take that first puff, the mayor of the FOB comes around the corner and locks eyes with me smoking right in front of the tent. This is a big no-no in the first place, but everyone does it simply for the fact that we civvies liver out in the boondocks and its a pain in the rear to walk out there. So, I continue smoking my cigarette as he walks up. I mean hell, he's already seen me and its not like I can hide it. He takes down my info in his little "I'mma screw you over" book. All the while he's saying how he's going to get me kicked off of the FOB, out of Afghanistan if he can. Normally this kinda threat just rolls right off of me, but his smile, the whole time he was threatening to destroy my career over a cigarette told me he was not messing around and hates contractors enough to try. So, I suck down the rest of my cigarette and three more in the Authorized smoke area, which happens to be about 150 meters from my tent and head BACK to work to give my manager a heads up. By the time he takes care of everything and makes sure that I'm not going to be barred from the FOB, its 5pm and I need to be at work at 8pm. Sleep is just a distant wish.
So yeah, been a heck of a week. I'm really looking forward to the 902 getting here so I don't have to hike across the clearing every single time I get a nic fit. Normally I smoke about twice an hour, one or two per time smoking, so that 150 meters both ways starts to get tiring after the first few hours.
I'm praying it arrives today. All this reading has got that little five year old in the back of my head bouncing around like a pinball waiting on presents.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Hey, thanks for sharing that. Good read. Very wild about the satellite, but the smoking story is nuts. I can imagine the stress after that meeting - hence 3 more smokes. Here's some advice right off the bat then....

1. Don't feel to dejected when you take a drag for the first time that its not to your liking. I think we all want or expect it to taste like an analog even if its not our brand and that's just never going to happen. Soon you'll discover you don't like that original taste as much as you thought anyway. That won't stop you from being on a quest for the perfect juice. Juice reviews are terrible actually. I love reading them but they are too subjective to mean anything. We'll help as much as we can but its a lot of trial and error.
2. When you take drags off these PVs, take a slower longer drag than you do with an analog. You may find you prefer the control of a manual battery because of this.
3. I'm not sure if they'll let you vape while you work (I can), but I will say that most people's habits change wen using these. Instead of taking a 5 or ten minute smoke break every so often while taking 15 or 20 drags off one analog, you may find that you vape one or two drags here and there constantly throughout the day.

I know you went for the 902, but did you go with atomizers or cartomizers, pre filled or not? And did you order juice and what kind?

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
I get the feeling he's going to need an extensive set of kit...at least three batts...doesn't sound like a PT will fit his working style. He's DEF gonna need to rotate batts if he's a pack-a-day+ guy who doesn't sleep much. I don't see this guy using atomizers due to the time constraints. I mainly use my attys for dripping only, cartos for long-term portables.

(I went on a couple of weeklong trips, didn't even pack bottles, just 5 standard cartos and my only Lux battery. Worked out fine, but I've never been a pack-a-day either...)

He's gonna *NEED* a Lux kit (2 batts) in addition to the 902 he has. Those 902s will run out of *juice* too fast IMHO - and I'm talking batteries here. XL cartos seem to be a perfect fit as well to keep the nic juice flowing.

As for finding flavors, he'd probably need to start with an initial trial buy of 5-10 various small juice bottles until he gets a flavor that works as a nic-monster killer, then grab a couple 30-50ml bottles of that. I won't recommend any flavors here, as we haven't gotten an idea of what his preference for smokes is - not that it matters. I smoke menthols, but I don't vape 'em anymore. Only thing I CAN say is he's probably gonna want 18-24mg juices right off the bat.

Last edited:

Subservient

Jul 28, 2011
Afghanistan
I'm way ahead of you on the battery issues. I picked up a passthrough for my at-work vaping so I won't be burning through the batteries every couple hours. I'd love to pick up a LUX battery (or one in each color...) for extended travel times where I won't be able to access plug power or don't have the right adapter for the local plugs.
As far as not expecting it to taste like actual burning tobacco, that's part of the transfer to the PV. I well and truly can't stand the taste of burning tobacco anymore. I don't know if its just the cigarettes we get out here, or if its all cigarettes in general, but it tastes terrible. Add onto the fact that they make me feel like hammered crap when I smoke them, irritable when I don't, and hacking up crud in the mornings and I'm sick of them. Thankfully the fluids come in different mg levels so I can slowly step down off of the actual nicotine and get great flavor to boot.
I ordered three flavors in my initial order just so I could get everything in a single package. The three I ordered were Energy Cow (I love the drink, hoping it tastes close), USA Cherry and RY4. All of the juice I ordered is 24mg and I have a total of 100ml coming. This coming first of the month I'll be ordering from one or a few different places to cast about and try to find a good daily vape for the bulk of my time and a couple really good ones for winding down from a day or waking up, what have you.
I ordered blank cartos for the simplicity and, at least in my mind, portability. With the cartos I have one less thing to worry about and I can just screw one on and go as opposed to having a few different atty's and carts. I will be ordering some of the LUX XL cartos on the first to try out whether or not I get any of the LUX batteries. I like the idea of being able to load one up with 1.8ml (if I remember right) of fluid and going for most if not all of the day. I would have done the prefilled but the price just doesn't do it for me, and I know from reading your descriptions of them that they should last with refilling for around 5-8 days before they start crapping out. Plus, being able to pick and choose what flavors I want is very nice.
I also threw in a couple drip tips and I'm hoping that they'll fit in the end of the cartos so I have something to chomp on when I have both of my hands buried in an equipment rack. Its also the reason I got auto batteries instead of the manuals. There are times when I'll be spending a few hours tracing cables to find a bad connection, or fighting the rack to get a new modem installed or something and I'm looking forward to keeping my nic cravings in check to keep myself from getting in a hurry.
Those times are far and few between though and for the most part I spend my time at the desk next to the computer, so the bulk of my vaping is going to be off of the passthrough. I do have a blu cig set that I picked up off of one of the marines I worked with and it just didn't live up to what I thought it would be. I'm chalking this up to the fact that the cartos were probably older than sin but every flavor but the cherry and vanilla just tasted something like a coffee chemical spill. Even the cherry and vanilla weren't mind blowingly good but they weren't terrible. They also didn't last long at all, either the cartos themselves or the batteries. It only took me a day and a half to vape out the six cartos of vanilla and cherry (three of each). I don't know if the cartos dry out or not, but they certainly didn't seem to carry very much.
Once I finally get this thing (damn you mail demons!) I should be as close to paradise as I can get. Being able to vape at my desk is a huge plus seeing as I won't miss the beginning of an outage or issue or any phone calls and not having to leave the Air Conditioning during the hottest part of the day is as close to bliss as I can imagine. Once I figure out exactly how much fluid I go through in a day, I'll be able to adjust my subsequent orders to be a month worth plus 50% to build up my stockpile and from then on its smooth sailing.
So yeah, next order, buckets of juice, more cartos and some XL cartos, possibly a LUX battery and cone or three and anything else I can eek out of my little budget.
Now I just have to wait. I hate waiting. Especially on mail that has all sorts of goodies just waiting to burst forth into my eager hands.
Thanks for the replies and advice guys. If you've got any other questions/comments/tricks/advice, I'd love to hear them. These forums are about as close as I get to human contact during my 8-12 hours at work during the night.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Man, you've read a lot and got this down pat. I was going to agree with everything that auTONYmous said, but you already got it going. You may find later on the you prefer the manual batteries, but for now just make sure you take the carto off now and then and clean up any juice off the battery so it doesn't get inside. As for the Blu PVs, I've heard of lots of people that don't like them so hopefully this works out well for you. Also, I've started writing up a tips page thanks to auTONYmous that can be added to.

Subservient

Jul 28, 2011
Afghanistan
I can't wait to see the new thread, and once my stuff gets here, add to it if I can.
As far as reading up, its what I do. I've got nothing but time out here to do as much research as my little heart pleases.
I'm still waiting on the mail demons to relinquish my little package. I have a feeling its up at the distro point just waiting to come down to where I'm at. If I was still up at the big base, I'd already have my package. That's what I get for volunteering for the crap assignments.
I do have a question for you Garnoch and auTONYmous if you've got an answer. I need to know what the inner diameter is on the cartos and if there's a difference in the inner diameter of the XL's, dual coils and the regular cartos. I've dug up an old program I had where I can model out parts and have a company fab up samples or a small run of parts. I've got a couple ideas for some drip tips I'd like to get my hands on but so far as I've been able to find, there's just the ones on modernvapor that are specifically for the 902. I did see somewhere that 510 cartos and attys will fit the 902 and LUX batteries, but that'd be more stuff I have to order and I'm leary of mixing and matching parts, at least for the moment.
I've used this company's program in the past to build a clock, so I know their product is good stuff as far as tolerances, and they have more coating options than you can shake a stick at. I'm thinking about tearing apart an auto battery and a couple cartos down the road to see if I can get one with honest to god gold plating on the casings or get one in purple. I love purple.
Anyway, that's about all I had in my head for the moment.
Cheers gentlemen, thanks for all your help so far.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I'll take on with real gold plating please haha. I don't have the equipment where I am this week to give you an exact measurement but it looks to be 9mm. I can tell you that the LUX takes the 902 attys, cartos and the LUX XL. They are all the same and I have used MVs 902 drip tips on all of them. As for the 510, some people have had luck and other have not. I think it depends on how they are made. I've tried the LUX and 902 with a couple and have seen it go both ways. I haven't tried a 510 that I've liked more than a 902 though. I realize that's just me though. Being you're interested in the tip thread I'm about to post, I'll go ahead and post it. I was waiting on something that I can just add at a later point.

Subservient

Jul 28, 2011
Afghanistan
Good stuff. Once I get my computer back up and running (still waiting on my power supply... dang mail demons) I'll see if I can draw up some parts and pieces. Heck, if there's enough people interested, I'll see about getting a small run of like 50 pieces, but that remains to be seen as far as price and complexity of the machining. It would definitely give me something to do out here besides surfing to the ends of the internet.
I'll have to dig up a caliper to see what the measurments are, seeing as its kinda hard to eyeball stuff from pictures online. If everything is put together like I imagine they are, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to pull the guts out of the batteries and replace the casing. The cartos might be a different story, but I figure a stainless or black carto wouldn't be too much of an issue.
Random thought pattern. I bet the LUX would look all kinds of sexy in gold with a matching cone. Could be an interesting designer line.
Can't wait to see the tips thread. Thanks man.
Cheers.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC

Subservient

Jul 28, 2011
Afghanistan
Yeah, I have two of them, the A and C models on the way. I've got an idea for one I'd like that I can't seem to find though. If/when I get my computer up and a test batch of the stuff I'm bouncing around in my head, I'll see if MV'd like to carry them.
I did see the thread and its a great start. There's a bunch of good info there and its sure to be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread