First project, a little overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
I am planning on making a wooden pipe. I already have some pretty good raw materials, and decent equipment, but don't know two shakes about electronics, and have a healthy respect of Li-ion batteries.

My design idea is to take these wooden eggs, use the ban saw to cut off the top. Use the drill press to bore out the battery holder, and bore out a spot for the ego connector that I salvaged from an old ego battery. My question comes here. What is the best way to connect the batter and the ego connector while still being able to replace the battery? Where would I get the pieces requires?

Last edited:

duckie_44

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
DFW-TX
I would like to make a mechanical pipe mod eventually, but I thought that using the ego parts might be a good start, so it would be PWM and have a few safety features. I will check out your "small carto pipe" thread for some ideas on how to place the battery terminals in such a small space.

milo.....If you want to use the ego guts....try this link( I hope, I'm computer stupid)

DIY E-Pipe Mod - YouTube

This shows useing a bought pipe.....In your case you could cut off part of the old ego and glue it into the pipe body, For the cap...I don't know.....some kind of cap with magnets?...swing arm?

You didn't say what kind of battery....18350?

FYI....I think the battery charges at the ego connector.....

duckie......

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
milo.....If you want to use the ego guts....try this link( I hope, I'm computer stupid)

DIY E-Pipe Mod - YouTube

I saw that video. I thought to myself, "Solder straight onto the battery?!? That thing is a Lithium ion battery! Heat is not good!"

This shows useing a bought pipe.....In your case you could cut off part of the old ego and glue it into the pipe body, For the cap...I don't know.....some kind of cap with magnets?...swing arm?

This is the part that I'm trying to figure out. I wanted to set up a swing arm or maybe a top and bottom plate, but where to get the parts (like what are these parts originally for and are they at Radio Shack?) and what kinds of things should I know before I do this?

You didn't say what kind of battery....18350?

Yes, aw imr 18350.

duckie_44

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
DFW-TX
This is the part that I'm trying to figure out. I wanted to set up a swing arm or maybe a top and bottom plate, but where to get the parts (like what are these parts originally for and are they at Radio Shack?) and what kinds of things should I know before I do this?..You said,I don't know what happen to the Quote thingy.

"top and bottom plate".....a battery box....a old remote?...Mad Vapes>DIY Parts>Battery contacts....Hardware store-odds and ends section.
Magnets.....K&J Magnets,etc...magnets on line...hardware store.....

"swing arm".....milo..."where to get the parts"....your going to have to use your imagination on this stuff..

I was thinking about the swing arm....What too use....there was my finger nail clippers on my desk...that file would make a swing arm..cut it down....get a brass nut and screw...drill a small hole in the side of the nut..solder the + or- wire to it expoy to pipe body and so on and so on....you get the idea...parts or where you find them...

milo.....Once you get infected modding disease..ever thing looks different(word to the wise, stay away from the wife's or grilfriend's stuff)

But don't despair...I hear "Gummy Bear" runs a clinc....for people in need.....

Does this help ?.......duckie.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread