RDA First RDA + dna40, looking for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
I plan on buying my first rda + a dna40 in the near future.

A friend offered to bring them overseas for me and I don't have the time I would normally spend on research. I'm looking for some last minute feedback.

I'm torn between the magma, the hobo and the veritas.

Honestly my reasoning for these choices is:

- magma for the deep juice reservoir, I like the idea of not having to drip so often

- hobo because I really love how it looks

- veritas because the center pin and posts use screws and it might give me better results with the dna temp control/contact, not sure if I should worry so much about it, but it's a high priority atm from my very very crappy research.

I've heard/read good and bad things about all 3, but interested in any type of feedback you guys might have about them. If any of the 3 is known to leak less than the others that is a big plus for me too.

Looking mostly for flavor. Just want to give drippiing and higher wattage a try. I'm not really afraid about testing/tweaking builds until I find my sweet spot, I like to tinker so I don't consider a difficult build an issue.

any and all feedback will be much appreciated, cheers

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I own two of the three you mention, the Magma and Veritas.

Both will produce a great vape and excellent flavor but if I could only have one I would take the Veritas. I only use it with a single horizontal coil and it rocks.

Waiting for my Vapor Flask DNA 40 and the Veritas will have a new home.

Good luck on your quest!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
The Veritas (and Origen V2) is my most used, general purpose, all-arounder atty. There is a bit of a learning curve to building nice, consistent dual coils from a single strand of wire on it... which is why most seem to build only single coils.

Saying that... I just got my Hobo Friday, and it may end up being my new favorite atty. ;-)

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
Thanks a lot for the kind words and feedback Marc, much appreciated!

And thanks a lot State for the help and for the links. I had seen that pic of your fixture the other day but at the time I didn't really understand how you were using it (blame it on my lame english comprehension)

After seeing the video for the 2 minute build and seeing how a Veritas is put togheter the fixture makes complete sense.

Still leaning towards the hobo but somewhat afraid about possible issues with the temp control from the dna40 and all the recommendations I saw about wrapping the legs around screws whenever possible. only a few hours left to decide...!

bedtime for me, if anyone has any other suggestions/comments please post them and I will check back in a few hours

cheers

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
I have the Magma and the Origen V2 (among others). Using water, the Magma takes 0.95ml, the Origen V2 takes 1.30ml - about 19 and 26 drops respectively according to the measure on my 1ml syringe. In the real world that'll be slightly less with eliquid and and wicks in the well.

I've gotta say that I love my Origen V2 - I love it a little more every day. It's slightly trickier to build than the Magma or a traditional 3 post, but it was designed more for Vertical Coils and that's where it shines. I keep my builds at around 0.9 - 1.0 ohms, and I'd say it'll get you about the same flavor as the Magma. Perhaps a fraction less, but so close that it doesn't matter much. Aesthetically it looks great.. I fell in love with it when I saw Fallout Mods' pic on their Facebook page with the Origen on their Mutant V2.

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
That does makes sense to me wrigleyvillain, but I can be pretty clueless at times so I'm not 100% sure I really understand your point. Did I mess up on combining a veritas and a flask in your view? You just meant I should aim for higher resistance builds, correct? Then again, how can one go higher resistance when TC requires builds between .16 and 1 ohm? I am pretty sleepy so I can't help wondering if there is more to your message than I am reading. English is not my first language and I get paranoid about losing good advice if it isn't spelled out for me. apologies in advance.

cheers

Last edited:

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
if all goes well, a black vapor flask, waiting on confirmation

I sure hope you get it. It is a fantastic device. I love mine and am looking to acquire more.

That does makes sense to me wrigleyvillain, but I can be pretty clueless at times so I'm not 100% sure I really understand your point. Did I mess up on combining a veritas and a flask in your view? You just meant I should aim for higher resistance builds, correct? Then again, how can one go higher resistance when TC requires builds between .16 and 1 ohm? I am pretty sleepy so I can't help wondering if there is more to your message than I am reading. English is not my first language and I get paranoid about losing good advice if it isn't spelled out for me. apologies in advance.

cheers

I'm not sure that wrigleyvillain understands that you are getting a Flask with the DNA40 chip in it. You are correct that TC requires a low ohm. Just don't forget that the DNA40 won't allow you to use TC with Kanthal. You must use Ni200 (nickel wire) or some have even used Titanium.

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
I sure hope you get it. It is a fantastic device. I love mine and am looking to acquire more.

oh I can't wait, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw v1..

and thank you for clearing it up for me, I really appreciate it!

Nickels resistance increases consistently as temperature Increases. So your cold resistance is going to be lower than your actual running resistance. And the dna40 monitors the resistance changes and calculates the temp. This how it works. Right?

I think you are correct. this thread explains it a bit more in depth: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...trol-design-would-work-instead-wrt-dna40.html

(see post #8)

sunnata

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
voidness
Just wanted to say a big thanks for everyone that helped me choose the new rda and mod, here and in other threads, it arrived today and I'm loving both!

Still waiting for ni200 to arrive next week so I can start playing around with TC, but did my first build and tried it out, really enjoying the increase in flavor and vapor compared to what I was previously using (kayfuns+provari v2)

Was really surprised by how small the flask is, looked much bigger in pics, expected it to be confortable to hold, but this is ridiculous.

Anyway, the first picture of the new toy!

RlVjLmB.png

cheers!

Pocha

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just wanted to say a big thanks for everyone that helped me choose the new rda and mod, here and in other threads, it arrived today and I'm loving both!

Still waiting for ni200 to arrive next week so I can start playing around with TC, but did my first build and tried it out, really enjoying the increase in flavor and vapor compared to what I was previously using (kayfuns+provari v2)

Was really surprised by how small the flask is, looked much bigger in pics, expected it to be confortable to hold, but this is ridiculous.

Anyway, the first picture of the new toy!

RlVjLmB.png

cheers!

Congratulations! It's a beauty isn't it? Absolutely love mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread