first rebuild in protank 2. popping and taste burnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthersoul

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Roscoe, IL, USA
so i finally got around to my first rebuild coil on the protank. came out 3 ohms 9 wrap 32g kanthal. cotton wick. it pops like crazy. and tastes a little burnt. my camera. is not the best but heres all i could focus it :/ sorry camera sucks. Picture 11.jpg Picture 9.jpg Picture 10.jpg

cant even see the coils on here >.<

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Ok, so what did you wrap your wire on/size? Since you are using cotton wick, you must drop juice onto the wick and coil to saturate it before assembly to ensure that you don't burn the cotton. 3 Ohms is pretty high! I do 5 wraps of 32 gauge around a 1/16th drill bit and get 1.7 Ohms every time. Even after you reassemble the tank, let it soak for 15 minutes before vaping it, giving it a few short unpowered primer puffs. Be careful not to burn your rubber insulator, and do not burn cotton! Good luck!

entitynein

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Reno
I noticed, when I used to rebuild my protanks, cotton pops more than any other material. Popping really is more a function of a new coil than it is of any danger sign. The burnt taste could be a couple of things. It could be the cotton not being primed, as RubyRoo suggested, or it could be the height of your coil over the insulator. If it's too close to the bottom insulator, that heat is going to have a melting effect on the rubber insulator, not necessarily actually melting the rubber, but heating it up and giving you a pretty nasty taste, as well. Make sure your coil is as high as it can be without making contact with the metal stem on top.

Lastlokean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2010
Red Wing, MN
Higher resistance is not always gonna get you a smoother or cooler hit. Try aiming for 1.8 - 2.4 ohms. So just cut the same exact diameter wick and everything down to 5/6 wraps... Or make your coil skinnier...

At least this is assuming you aren't on variable voltage...If thats the case just try firing it at like 6 volts. If your going mechanical I would say .8-1.0 ohms with 28 gauge kanthal on a cotton wick is an amazing experience with any BCC... If your on an ego type battery regulated to 3.7v I would go for 1.5-1.8 ohms.

For some reason the coil instantly hitting/passing the juices boiling point causes a huge flash of smooth vapor. I think this flash of evaporation limits the heating of the wick/juice in the core of the wick. If you don't have enough heat to cause flash vaping then you get slow boiling and lots of hot, cooked and burnt juice with little/slow vapor production.

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
i used a 1/16th drill bit

on an mvp 2

my 2nd one was 2.6 ohm and was tasting more burnt at 3.9v

Well, again be sure that you are priming your wick properly before firing it and remember, NEVER dry burn cotton, or it's ruined before you vape it. If your wick is properly saturated (really soak it in juice), and you have checked for shorts, and you have checked the status of your insulator (it's not browned or darkening) you really should be fine. Make sure that your coil is not touching the sides of your metal cup, or the top chimney part of the atomizer head. I rebuild all of my protanks to 1.7 Ohms and use them on my MVP and VV v3 with no problems at all. Be sure that your insulator is not burned out. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread