First Rebuildable, so many questions .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
Hello all -

My husband and I are looking at getting a kayfun 4 ... I have been doing some reading out here and see as far as the gauge of the wire, most are saying anything between 28 to 30 works very well. As for the cotton, I have seen everything from crocheting/knitting yarn (sugar and cream cotton) to cotton balls to butchers twine.

I am also trying to understand the workings of the resistance. Forgive me here, but my husband and I are currently carto/tank users and we also use nothing but VG ... so we are talking alien Visions, VCV, and HighBrow, etc ... we both use standard resistance cartomizers (ranging anyway from 2.7 to 3.0ish), but of course with a carto, there is an inconsistency with the draw of vapor since the air can not be controlled. Would we more than likely be looking at doing a lower resistance build now that we can control air flow, etc?

I know it's all trial and error in the beginning and both of us are not huge cloud chasers, we both just like what works and I am excited to actually be able to have a cleaner taste with the juices (I do feel the cartos mute much of the flavor)

So, what would you all recommend for a newb to rebuildables. We will be using our ProVari 2.5s at first, but will be also looking at the P3 within a couple months. Any advice would be much appreciated and even if there are some links I have missed (which I am sure I have because there is just so much good stuff out here)

Can't wait to hear from you all and thanks in advance.

mbzdyk

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
SW Chicago
IMHO. Most of the questions you ask, you will have to answer your self by experimenting and tuning the build to your preference. I started with 28g and 1.4 ohms 5/64 diameter using rayon. Highest resistance I tried is 3.5 ohms. Currently both of my kayfun 4s are 26g .8 ohm on 7/64. I have no idea what I will try next time. My wick of choice is rayon. I have one small box that will last me for years.
I think, to start it would be wise to stay above 1 ohm for safety. And you should not build anything unless you can check the resistance of your build.
Kayfun 4 is great for experimenting. It has very few issues, and you have access to the coil and wick without the need to empty the tank.
I would suggest to get very familiar with all the parts so you can easily fix any mechanical issues that might arise. Securing the coil will be a PITA at first. It will become a piece of cake after a couple of builds. I use tweezers rather than fingers to wrap the coil legs around the posts.

Will probably need new juice. I would start by cutting nicotine in half.

I would also suggest filling the tank to about 1/2 for better juice feed until you get the experience to do consistent builds.

Last edited:

jefx

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2015
Chicago burbs
I agree with mbzdyk. It's mostly going to be trial and error for you to see what you like best.

My last couple builds on my Kayfun 4 have been very similar to mbzdyk's. I'm currently using a 0.8 ohm 26 awg 2.4mm coil, but I use Koh Gen Do cotton.

I would suggest getting a roll of 26, 28, and 30 awg wire, a packet of Japanese cotton, and a coiling tool. As well as a decent pair of scissors, ceramic tweezers, needle nose pliers, and a micro screwdriver set. You can source all that stuff online for fairly cheap. That way you will have everything you need to experiment with different builds and find what you like.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I wouldn't get too hung up on the resistance. I use 29g kanthal, 7 wraps is 1.6ohm, and I wick with cellucotton (rayon) and Japanese cotton. The rayon lasts a little longer and might taste slightly better, I'm not too sure. It's close. Build it and use it... And then next time you do a coil try more or less. There are more than a few videos on YouTube that will help give you a good idea of how to wick it, and what types of coil builds you can do.

What battery are you using?

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
Thanks for the responses everyone, I figured it was going to be some trial and error. I was just curious what was working for everyone else and how it would relate to what I am using now.

mbzdyk - you said I would need new juice and probably want to cut the nicotine in half ... as far as the juice, I use 100% VG because I have had an issue with PG in the past and have discovered VG to be the best for me, are you meaning because the VG is so thick that I would have to change? Nicotine cut back? Could you please explain?

Ou2mame - I am currently using the smaller 18490 batteries, but will be getting the 18650 batteries when I get the new ProVari.

Again, thank you everyone for the information, I have to admit, I am a bit intimidated by the rebuildable aspect, but have heard so many good things about the Kayfun I figured it was time to take that next leap.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
The fact that you use 100%vg causes me to make a suggestion that the Kayfun 4 may not be the best RTA for you. Mine is wicking 70% vg without issue though many here have had trouble with that.

I think a better RTA for you might be: Lemo, eXpromizer or Taifun GT II.

I believe you need to be at 1.4 ohm or higher on your resistance for the Provari. I'm not sure on the new P3. Not hard to do though :)

I went from 12mg nic to 6mg immediately after going to RTAs.

For your first build, copy someone else's. 7 or 8 wraps of 28g wire on a 3/32" drill bit or 2.5mm bit will get you a good resistance for any of those tanks for using your Provari.

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
That is very interesting about RTAs and needing to cut nicotine by half, right now I am at 12mg and have been thinking of going down to 6mg anyway. Honestly this is something I didn't even consider when thinking of moving to a rebuildable. Thank goodness everyone out here is so kind with answering questions. I guess more research is definitely worth it ... I didn't realize folks were having issues with higher VG in the Kayfun, honestly figured a rebuildable should make it possible to vape anything a person wanted.

As for a copy as well, I have a local shop here where one of the guys told me to come in and he would assist with the first build or two, he is quite familiar with rebuildables, do a "copy" session is in the plan for sure. :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I used cartos when I quit smoking and started vaping. At that point I needed 24 mg to keep me off the smokes. Even moving to a clearomizer required cutting nic! With my first Kayfun, I had to cut the nic level even further. You will certainly get much better flavor from RBAs vs cartos.

I don't have a Kayfun 4, though I love my Kayfuns dearly. I've enjoyed various rebuildables, including drippers, primarily chasing the best flavor - not clouds. The Kayfun 4 looked fairly complicated to me, compared to other RTAs. It may not be the best choice for someone new to rebuilding.

I have a Provari 2.5 and it will fire down to 1.3 ohms resistance. I use 18490's in it, mainly because I like the size better. Lower resistances burn through batteries faster in my experience.

I still primarily use my Kayfun Lite + V2 (clones) on the Provari. Even vapers with lots of high end gear say that it's a great combo - Provari and the KFL. Good flavor, and relatively easy to build. You can't adjust the airflow, but coming from cartos, for me, the tighter draw of the KFL was appreciated. Just something for you to keep in mind - a wide open airflow might be a big adjustment for you. I have three HCigar versions of the KFL from Vape Royalty, and they are great quality. They also come with a nano tank - 2 ml vs 4 ml capacity. I don't know how you feel about clones, but it could be a cost effective way for both of you to get started learning rebuildables. You have the option at purchase to get an "M" tank - which is a clear poly tank. It's a little easier to seal the tank and avoid leaks with it. Fewer seams means less chance of vacuum seal issues.

HCigar Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Atomizer Clone

I build them with microcoils with 28 gauge at 1.4 - 1.5 ohms , and wick with rayon.

My current most beloved RTA is the Aqua V2. Excellent flavor, ease of building and ease of filling I've found so far. It can run dual coils, but after trying that, I prefer single coils. But it's nice to have options.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
I didn't realize folks were having issues with higher VG in the Kayfun

I vape 100% VG in my 3 kayfun 4s, and have no issues. Never a dry hit. Ever.

Forget about using yarn or butchers twine, used to use both several years back in other mods when first started rebuilding, and both are inferior to cotton & rayon. I personlly use rayon, it seems to wick the thick VG much better than cotton.

The key for good wicking hi vg juice on a k4 is a coil diameter around 3mm, more wick than u think u need, and the wick just touching the build deck.

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
@Light Seeker ... may I ask what device you are using your Kayfuns on? Also, another "stupid" question ... why would the juice consumption go up on a "standard" single coil build? Is it due to the wattage increasing or just the way it feeds or a combination of things?

EDIT: Oh yeah, how long do your builds last vaping 100% VG? :)

Where would you all recommend to buy wick and wire in your experience? I assume the kanthal is the easiest or maybe even best to work with?

Thanks again to everyone for answering my questions as I have them, my apologies for the lag in between response times.

NetteG

Last edited:

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Yeah you'll wanna cut the nic for sure. I started with an Evod at 24mg. Got my first Kayfun Lite and went to 18 and eventually 12 because with the bigger hits and airflow, the nic gets harsh reeeeal quick. Kayfun 4 and my first dripper (a Magma clone) and I dropped to 10mg. Couple months later I dropped to 6 and am still there, dont notice any difference. I couldn't imagine hitting 24 or 18mg nic in the v4 or my Derringer, that's probably pretty gnarly.

doofy666

Dec 31, 2014
Wales, UK
Where would you all recommend to buy wick and wire in your experience? I assume the kanthal is the easiest or maybe even best to work with?

I use organic japanese cotton pads. They are very simple to use. Search for Cotton Labo on Amazon.

Kanthal, yes. 28 gauge is usually recommended here for beginners. I get mine from Amazon or Ebay.

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
@Light Seeker ... may I ask what device you are using your Kayfuns on? Also, another "stupid" question ... why would the juice consumption go up on a "standard" single coil build? Is it due to the wattage increasing or just the way it feeds or a combination of things?

EDIT: Oh yeah, how long do your builds last vaping 100% VG? :)

Thanks again to everyone for answering my questions as I have them, my apologies for the lag in between response times.

NetteG
For my 3 kayfun 4s, I have 2 on top of mech mods (stingrayX & 4nine), and another on a mini-clouper. My current build is a 28g macro-coil (3mm ID) @1.8Ω which I'm running at 9.5 watts on the mini-clouper. I've tested with coils from 2.0mm to 3.2 ID, from 0.95 to 2.1Ω's, the 3.0 ID @ 1.5-1.9Ω's is best imho. I usually hit it at 9-14 watts on the clouper depending on juice used, but have gone as high as 25w just to test it. Juice consumption is very high in all 3, regardless of mech or vw, or coil build. In fact, it's the highest out of all my toppers, even gennies with stainless steel wicks, which are known for hi juice consumption. I vape diy juice, my wife goes thru 30ml (3mg nic) in 2 days, 30ml usually lasts me 3 or 4 days.

I use Sallys Cellucotton (rayon), & always get my wire from Temco Industrial. Highly recommend both!

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
OK gang, I just purchased my Kayfun 4 ... started my stock of 6mg liquid a couple weeks back so it has been steeping. I also already ordered some 28 gauge kanthal, ken gen do organic cotton, tweezers, coil wrapping jig, snips, I expect by next weekend, I will either be tickled pink or cussing like a sailor. ;) Thanks again for all the information everyone provided. I will post my results as I find them. :)

DoubleTap1

Jan 6, 2015
Seattle, WA.
I use 26g with my Kayfun V4, 2.4mm bit, 8 to 9 wraps. 1.3 to 1.5 ohms single coil and cotton.
At first I was wicking my cotton the way PBusardo and many others do. That is after you insert your wick through the coil you take both ends and run them through the chamber ring and screw it down. Then you cut the wick ends and tuck them down to the deck on both ends. I've been doing it this way for several months but noticed it vaped differently from time to time; just wasn’t a consistent build. I found that sometimes I had to much cotton tucked in.
Sooooo.. last night I decided to cut my wick to a length where the tails just touched the deck and I could see it. I than juiced the wick to keep it in place and only then did I screw the collar on. This way I know exactly how much wick is tucked into the chamber and how it will lay on the deck.
I discovered that too much cotton not only restricted the air flow, but also choked the juice wicking.
Buy the way, you made an excellent choice. I have the Squape R, the Rose, the Erlkonigin and a few others. They all have their own little quirks, but by far at least for me, the Kayfun V4 is always the Atty I walk out the door with. It runs the most consistent and does it all day long. It’s not as temperamental as the others and after a few builds it becomes easy.

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
Well, my first couple of builds (without cotton) I am not sure I am going to be happy with ... with my husband attempting to build the same, we did 8 wraps on a 2.5mm coil master 1.5ish ... seems a little too airy and cool for my liking. Going to try to add a couple wraps and get the ohms a little higher and see if I can find that sweet spot again. I have to say, I believe the coil master saved a TON of heartache and headache. Very cool item and I would recommend it to any beginner. More to follow I'm sure .......... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread