First rta, confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamasquito

Aug 31, 2018
Hi all, i got a new rta and im a bit confused about something.

I think i got wicking, i mean it works and theres alot of vapor around but couple of times when i tried wicking and got to vaping it was cold on the otherside of driptip and warm on the otherside, what caused that to happen?

I have kaees solomon 2.
I tried steam engines coil wrapping tool, but im confused.
For 0.6 ohm for example, it says 4 full wraps and 5/4 half wraps.
I understand what that means, but, on solomon 2, both coil ends need to be on the same direction due to the posts.
So, theres no way that i could wrap it like that since its always gonna be 4 on the both sides.

Help me ecr, i feel dumb :(

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You’re not dumb but you do have a somewhat unusual rta. I’ve got one of these too, and while it’s the most flavorful rta I’ve got, The side post thing is not my favorite. What I would do in your position to get the ohms I want is to vary the coil diameter. This will change the number of wraps needed to get a particular ohm rating. Just plug the numbers in you know; wire size, number of wraps and ohms, and it will spit out what diameter mandrel to use. If the coil is too big, and it might be because the max coil size on the rta is not large because of the side mount, you may have to try it again with a different number of wraps, or if it’s way off, with a twist coil. I’ve never used anything but fused Clapton’s on mine. The coil the thing came with was extremely low ohm but it worked really beautifully. When it finally wore out I replaced it with a coil of similar ohm rating. I vape the thing @35w with a 0.18ohm coil

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@bombastinator
Thanks for the advice :) i can only make 3mm inner diameter as of now, as my jig hasnt arrived and my screwdriwers are 4mm+ except for one which is 3. Ill try to figure it out after work :)

@Diver9543
Funny, you have welcomed me atleast 3 time past 2 months give or take :D
Appreciate your kindness :)
I’m not sure the thing can even hold a 3mm coil. The premade coil it came with was 2.5mm iirc. If you still have that coil knocking about it worked really well for me.

Llamasquito

Aug 31, 2018
I’m not sure the thing can even hold a 3mm coil. The premade coil it came with was 2.5mm iirc. If you still have that coil knocking about it worked really well for me.
Reviews said it can so i figured id try :)
I do, using it currently :)
Reading at 0.18 ohms, dunno whats it supposed to be since there was no info on it

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Reviews said it can so i figured id try :)
I do, using it currently :)
Reading at 0.18 ohms, dunno whats it supposed to be since there was no info on it
It’s a fused clapton of unknown metal. Mine lasted a good long time. Gunks up a little bit fast, but it dry burns fine. I treated it like kanthal

Reactions: Llamasquito

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
I have always read that as 4 full wraps, or 4/5, depending on what direction your legs go. If you can't get the exact resistance you're after, it's not usually a big deal, although you could also use a different gauge of wire. I would just experiment with both 4 and 5 wrap builds to see which I prefer.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
... but couple of times when i tried wicking and got to vaping it was cold on the other side of driptip and warm on the other side, what caused that to happen?
No one has attempted to answer the warm/cold drip tip?

If I'm understanding correctly, the mouth end of the drip tip stays cool but the connected end gets warm? Although all of the metal drip tips that I have used have been either warm or cool (one or the other), my guess is the end that is warm is closest to the tank and heating coil. Makes sense that the heat generated by the coil could transfer heat to your mouthpiece, no? As for the other end remaining cool, does your driptip have a delrin tip (delrin does not transfer heat) or made of two different materials?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
When first starting out with rtas I just tried several different coil types (wraps, diameter, single & multi wire, etc) and coil placement. I pretty much ignored resistance and wattage until I found some good for me tasty vapes that weren't too hot. Then I started building based on those preferences.

Llamasquito

Aug 31, 2018
No one has attempted to answer the warm/cold drip tip?

If I'm understanding correctly, the mouth end of the drip tip stays cool but the connected end gets warm? Although all of the metal drip tips that I have used have been either warm or cool (one or the other), my guess is the end that is warm is closest to the tank and heating coil. Makes sense that the heat generated by the coil could transfer heat to your mouthpiece, no? As for the other end remaining cool, does your driptip have a delrin tip (delrin does not transfer heat) or made of two different materials?
I meant when i take a drag, its half warm half cold vapor, if that makes sense, sorry english is not my main language :)

Edit: like, left half is cold vapor and right is warm vapor.
Hard to explain lol :D

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I meant when i take a drag, its half warm half cold vapor, if that makes sense, sorry english is not my main language :)

Sounds like coil placement issue. Try raising or lowering the coil so air can get under the coil as well as.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

I suspect that is happening in your mouth rather than the atomizer.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

I seen alot of posts, but this is a first.. usually all the vapor mixes together and becomes one temp if I had to guess. Maybe like you said, it's hard to explain , but it seems like I'm reading it as if perhaps your outside and a cold wind is hitting only one side of your tank, then maybe the vapor on that side of tank & drip tip might be a bit cooler then the other side.....

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread