Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
i smoke close to half a pack of marlboro reds a day.

18mg may be way too high for you. Marlboro Reds have 0.8 mg per cigarette. If you smoke 1/2 pack that is about 8 to 12mg

(based on 10 to 15 cigs)

I have no idea where or why people suggest these random mg of nic to newbies. You are not even smoking a full pack. That is why I try to use a 'formula" as above, you can't just make up these numbers.

It happened to me that way, I smoked about 1/2 pack of Roll your own american spirit organic, and i was told to start off vaping 18-24mg. I was jumpy and nervous the entire first few weeks until somebody helped me in a PM and said I should not be vaping over 14mg. They were right. As soon as I dropped down I was calmer and started to really enjoy vaping.

If you must get the 18mg, buy some plain pg / vg to dilute with in case it is too strong. Or buy some 12mg as well, for evening vaping.....if it is too weak you can then mix your 12mg with 18mg for around 15mg. That's how I ended up doing it. (equal amounts...12 + 18 divided by 2 = 15.)

So, lets say you want pineapple dream. get one bottle in 12mg and one in 18mg. You can either use separately (higher for stressful daytime, lower for evening before bedtime) OR if you find one is too weak or one too strong, mix them in equal amounts as I noted for a happy medium. :)

Good to give yourself some OPTIONS. :)

I never got headaches or nauseous, but I just didn't feel quite RIGHT, and people told me it was because I was quitting smoking.........well that wasn't it at all. it was too high nic making me very uneasy in general.

-----------
For equipment, nobody goes wrong with either Ego C Twists or Vsion Spinners. Get 2. they are variable voltage so you can adjust the voltage and turn it up higher or turn it down lower til you find your sweet spot.

The 1300 spinner should last you most of the day w/out a charge. The ego c twists in 1000 about the same, they are a little thinner, but also a big longer and "baton-like". If you want something a little shorter than get 650 Twists and/or 650 or 900 Spinners.

The beauty of this is that even if you advance later on to bigger stuff, your orig. purchase will become your backup devices.

I still use mine after over a year, and i\ have owned many many advanced mods and still love mu spinners and twists. :)

Get a few clearomizers.....try a top coil like a vision rebuildable or vivi nova mini, and a bottom coil one like an EVOD or tabac BCC or a mini Protank. That way you will find out if you like top or bottom coils better. Get low resistance 1.8 to 2.4 or so.

Don't overthink this. These are good little batts. you will not be unhappy

the mvs kit that Txaggiesaunt suggested is very good value and they are a wonderful vendor.
---------------
Warhawk gave good advice on juice. If yuou like fruity vapes Roar/RAWR makes the best out there IMHO. And Mike is a super duper guy and will treat you right.

Mount Baker Vapor is very nicely priced, I think you get free 15ml with a certain amount of order, and The Vapor Room has juice of the week for $10 and also a great deal for newbies if you read on their website about it!

** as a newbie, I would not order from fasttech, IMHO the sooner you start vaping the better. The last cig you smoke may be the one that hurts you / kills you, etc. The guy who helped me when I started thought that way and he helped me not drag my feet. Waiting for stuff from fasttech as a newbie to save a few bucks is not the way to go IMHO. I like to establish a relationship w/vendor I can ask questions, or phone if I need, discount vapor and altsmoke are great outfits too

Last edited:

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
I am new as well, I bought a Evod BCC 1000 Mah battery. This works really well. I love it. I am not sure I could have done better. Not a bad price for them either. I know you can get them on the net for around 59.99 and as high up as 89.99. Just watch out for the fakes.

so i'm looking for my first e-cig. i'm not sure whether i should get the kgo 1100 mah or the ego twist. i smoke close to half a pack of marlboro reds a day. i also enjoy 27's and camels turkish. i'm wondering how many mg of nicotine you guys think is good for a first timer. also flavors?
i'm stumped when it comes to clearomizers and cartomizers and atomizers. anyone have any recommendations?
i'm looking to get 2 batteries, 2 clearomizers or cartomizers, usb/wall adapter and charger, and a 50ml of e-juice. looking to spend around 60-70 dollars. please help :oops:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I just started vaping about a week ago. Before I started vaping, I was smoking about 1/2 pack of USA Gold King (box) per day - which are probably a bit weaker than Marlboro Reds.

Bought a Kangertech (Kanger) EVOD kit. Paid $45 + shipping. This beats it by $5 - not sure of the shipping:

ElectronicStix.Com · Kanger EVOD 650mAh Starter Kit

Also bought some additional heads and a couple of extra EVOD tanks. The included batteries are not VV (Variable Voltage), but fire at a "regulated" 3.7v. You can get Kanger, Vision, or Joye VV eGos but they will cost you more and they are physically longer than non-VV batteries. The 650mah non-VV "kit" batteries with the EVOD heads together are not much longer than an old-fashioned fountain pen, which I find convenient. I carry one in my front pants pocket when I'm out and about.

A charge can last me about 1.5-2 days, but I'm now switching to a fresh battery every morning. I ran one battery down until it would just blink at me and not fire the atomizer at all - which worried me a bit - but after charging it works fine. YMMV. I've read 6-8 hours. I think it just depends how much you vape, but if you're only smoking 1/2 PAD now....

Having said that, I will probably buy a Kanger 650 VV at some point for home use. I still wouldn't want a "baton" or "flute", though.

Along with the Kit, I bought 18mg and 12mg nicotine juices of the same flavor. The first day, I tried 18mg first. 18mg hit surprisingly hard (head rush) and within a few minutes I started getting a slight headache (I almost never get headaches). The rest of the day I switched between 18 and 12 - mostly 12. The next day I started with 12mg and have stayed there ever since. I will still occasionally take a hit or two of 18 -- at most 2x/day -- but I'm pretty sure I could get by with 12 alone if I didn't have the 18 readily available. I just ordered samplers from Halo Cigs and Alice in Vapeland at 12 and 11mg respectively. I'll keep the 18 for an occasional "rush". <grin>

So, with respect to nicotine strength, I basically agree with Racehorse. If you really want to make sure you get off cigarettes immediately, I would order 12 and 18 and see for yourself. My guess - and it is only a guess based on my experience - is that you'll end up using 12mg.

IMO, you can't really start hunting for your personal juices until you know what nicotine concentration you will be using. So start with a couple of small bottles of the same flavor. I started with a couple of 15ml bottles (12mg and 18mg nic) of 4 Star General - which turned out to be a good fit for me as I think it tastes similar to the cigarettes I had been smoking. I used to smoke Marlboro Reds many years ago and from what I remember that taste is different. 4 Star General may be closer to Marlboro Lights - again, from what I remember.

One caution: There are some juices that will melt polycarbonate tanks/clearomizers such as the EVODs. If you like those juice flavors, look to glass clearomizers (such as the Protank or the Mini Protank) or dripping:

Here is a list of e-juices known to deteriorate polycarbonate tanks:

Hope this helps.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
@warhawk-avg I may get that now.. So maybe two of those ego mini 1100mah. What do you mean heads?
See the thing with the wicks hanging out of it...those are the replaceable heads that go in the clearomizer
1370004-1.jpg
Heads also refer to the device that you screw into your 510 connector but in this case...heads are the replaceable coil module for the "servicable" clearomizers...serviceable means "you can replace the coil" vs the sealed kind when they go bad..you chuck the whole thing and start with a new one Hope that helps

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
I feel like two 1300s will feel too long so I want either a 600 or 1000 when I'm out and the 1300 when I'm usually home and stuff like that. Not sure if I should get the iclear evod or t3.

Maybe 2 kgo with Vivi nova and one more? Idk ahhhh :[

I would get the iClear and one of the others. The iClear is a top coil and the other two are bottom coil. This way you can decide which you like better. There is no real difference between the evod and the T3 except the T3 is clear and the evod has little windows to see your juice. They both use basically the same coil.

The top coil iClear will give you a warmer vape and the others will give you a cooler vape.

abasm

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2013
Condor, AB, Canada
There is no real difference between the evod and the T3 except the T3 is clear and the evod has little windows to see your juice. They both use basically the same coil.
The evod holds less juice than the t3 and does not have a removeable drip tip, the heads are indeed now interchangeable.

Nightcall

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
USA
18mg may be way too high for you. Marlboro Reds have 0.8 mg per cigarette. If you smoke 1/2 pack that is about 8 to 12mg

(based on 10 to 15 cigs)

I have no idea where or why people suggest these random mg of nic to newbies. You are not even smoking a full pack. That is why I try to use a 'formula" as above, you can't just make up these numbers.

Marlboro Reds give a strong throat hit, so if that's important to him, 8 to 12 mg e-liquid most likely won't satisfy him at first. Also, vaping and smoking aren't equal, so it's not simply a math problem. I only smoked Ultra Lights but vaping would have failed for me if I started out at 12mg and stayed there.

michaelmichael

Sep 26, 2013
USA
Still have no idea which batteries/clearomizers to get. I definitely don't want something like a flute or a baton haha. Nothing too long but I also don't want to have to charge multiple times throughout the day. I'm also thinking 12mg of nicotine should do it.
Spinner/twist with iclear/t3/evod, or 2 kgo with vivinova and ?, or 2 Eco mini. Sigh, it's too hard to just pick one!

Edit: I'd like some kind of throat hit. Nothing too rough or harsh. I guess I'll have to just experiment with both the 12 and 18. As for diluting and mixing... I'll stay away from that. Sounds too complicated haha :p

kaiser74

Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
new milford ct usa
i'm a noob too. so from one nood to the other, go with an ego. any one will do. might as well go with a twist or spinner.
i'm a big fan of the kanger mini protank 2, but regular ce4's or evod's will do just fine.
this option is cheap and a great start. you won't be sorry. finding the juice that does it for you is more important then which model of ego you go with.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
Hmm would you go with the evod or t3? I'm not too sure what all this interchangeable head removable drip tip means. Way too noob

I use T3 and T3S clearos because they hold more liquid. But they are a tad bit longer then an EVOD. You can't go wrong with either one.

Interchangeable heads are the coil/wick portion. When they go bad or you want to change flavors, you unscrew the head and screw a new one in. So once you have one, all you have to replace is the head instead of the whole clearo.

A drip tip is the part that you put in your mouth. Some clearos have removable drip tips so you can put a different style, color, or material on. Doesn't make a difference to the function of the clearo though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread