First Timer Working On Micro Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitechapel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Willoughby Hills, OH
I built between eight and ten coils tonight (at least!) and none of them worked. I also keep getting shorts, the resistance fluxes on my Provari. I get huge blasts of metal. I'm working on a RSST Genesis.

Things I have noticed.

1) None of the coils are flush against each other in the coil. I believe I am wrapping it wrong and even after torching it it still spreads out some. My coils look sloppy. I thought it was the huge slanted tweezers I was using, so I ran up to the store and bought some cheap ones. They work much better, but still, the coils are not flush.

2) I don't know how to torch the micro coil. The flame always seems to catch the legs.

3) I'm trying to put the coil half way between the top post and bottom post. Not once has my coil naturally sat over the wick hole. I am using a 5/64th drill bit to wrap on and am putting it in the wick hole to position it.

4) I create shorts like crazy and don't know how. I trim up the wires with nail clippers, I'm assuming the fraction left is shorting it out. I made one build tonight that did not fluctuate.

I am begging for help because I felt like tonight was a giant 4 hour waste of time. I'm learning yeah but I'm just irritated that I didn't accomplish a single thing.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I built between eight and ten coils tonight (at least!) and none of them worked. I also keep getting shorts, the resistance fluxes on my Provari. I get huge blasts of metal. I'm working on a RSST Genesis.

Things I have noticed.

1) None of the coils are flush against each other in the coil. I believe I am wrapping it wrong and even after torching it it still spreads out some. My coils look sloppy. I thought it was the huge slanted tweezers I was using, so I ran up to the store and bought some cheap ones. They work much better, but still, the coils are not flush.

2) I don't know how to torch the micro coil. The flame always seems to catch the legs.

3) I'm trying to put the coil half way between the top post and bottom post. Not once has my coil naturally sat over the wick hole. I am using a 5/64th drill bit to wrap on and am putting it in the wick hole to position it.

4) I create shorts like crazy and don't know how. I trim up the wires with nail clippers, I'm assuming the fraction left is shorting it out. I made one build tonight that did not fluctuate.

I am begging for help because I felt like tonight was a giant 4 hour waste of time. I'm learning yeah but I'm just irritated that I didn't accomplish a single thing.

sounds like one of the issues is thin wire. what gauge are you using? if you are using 32g, it just doesn't work as good as a thicker gauge. you need to use 30g at the thinnest and even better 28g. if you are using this thicker gauge, try flaming the length of wire first, get the springiness out of the wire before making the coil. once this wire is annealed then wrap it around your drill bit and make them super tight and as close as possible. once you have done this you now can hole the coil between the tweezers and cinch while torching. this should get you a tight micro with all wraps touching. now once you get to this point the micro is best suited for cotton in a dripper or bottom coil tank like the kayfun. using it for a genny with mesh is a little more tricky. your mesh wick would need to be oxidized fairly well in order to avoid shorts or slide the mesh un-ox wick into the coil and with a MECHANICAL MOD pulse oxidize until the coil itself oxidizes the mesh. you cannot pulse oxidize with a vv device. also if you oxidize your wick first and slide it into the coil some of the oxidation may come off creating hotspots.

Last edited:

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
when you wrap, makes sure you are wrapping them close together and do it slowly. if you are having to push the coils next to each other after each wind, you aren't going to get the best results.

after wrapping, I will push all the coils together and hold them for a little. I will then slide the coil off my bit and squeeze it together gently with tweezers. you don't want to squeeze too tight as you don't want any coil overlaps. fire it with your torch for a good twenty seconds. you can decide at that point if you want to try to shape it more with your tweezers or not.

I recently switched to the 5/64ths drill bit myself and I'm really happy with the results. I'm using 32 gauge wire, so i'll get about 11 wraps @ 1.4 ohms.

It will take a little practice but it's quite easy. The most important step is wrapping initially on your bit. the better you do on this step the easier everything else will be

ConradM

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Boise ID
Have you seen how Rip Trippers wraps a micro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jagnsVTWbdg

Some things to remember, when you're torching, squeeze the coil from the inside. So if it's a 7/6 coil, squeeze the 6 side. This will keep the coil straight and from overlapping.

Once you get the coil on the posts, you can fire it and squeeze it from the outside if need be. Also, don't make the wraps super tight, not loose but firm.

One more thing, once you get the coil on the posts, don't be afraid to tweak it into position with the bit. You're not going to hurt it. If it get's a little loose while doing that then just fire and squeeze it again.

Whitechapel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Willoughby Hills, OH
Have you seen how Rip Trippers wraps a micro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jagnsVTWbdg

Some things to remember, when you're torching, squeeze the coil from the inside. So if it's a 7/6 coil, squeeze the 6 side. This will keep the coil straight and from overlapping.

Once you get the coil on the posts, you can fire it and squeeze it from the outside if need be. Also, don't make the wraps super tight, not loose but firm.

One more thing, once you get the coil on the posts, don't be afraid to tweak it into position with the bit. You're not going to hurt it. If it get's a little loose while doing that then just fire and squeeze it again.

I have seen the video, that is what I have been using. He just does it though, doesn't tell you how to wrap a solid coil.

I don't understand what you mean by "squeeze the coil from the inside". I don't know what a 7/6 coil means.

What about shorts? Like I said I just trim up the kanthal with nail clippers, but apparently this is potentially causing shorts. Yeah the Provari might read the resistance as stable but ultimately it ends up shorting out somewhere, and I have to toss the coil.

ConradM

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Boise ID
7/6 coil would mean that if you look at the coil, on the device from the outside there would be 7 wraps. But when you look at it from the inside there would be 6. The inside of the coil would also have the legs pointing towards you.

So basically, you squeeze the coil with the tweezers in between the legs kind of.... If you go through Rip Trippers videos you'll pick up on it more and more.

Whitechapel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Willoughby Hills, OH
Ahh OK, that makes sense.

I tried doing that, squeezing between the legs. I saw Rip Trippers do it but I struggle with it, I don't know if it's my tweezers or what. I picked up two additional pair last night from Meijer, some froo froo Revlon tweezers. They had the thin tips though and were not thick, like my previous pair. So they might work but I need a good serious pair. Either way I could never get it just right.

Whitechapel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Willoughby Hills, OH
I am getting HUGE metal blasts, seems to be no shorts.

yzMLOZI.png

lMDyQPB.png

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
in a previous post I thought you were using mesh, now I see its cotton. besides a short fluctuation in resistance can also be connections, make sure all connections are tight. after you mount the coil, before adding your cotton, does the top and bottom leads glow out past the last turn or wrap? if all wraps are nice and tight your leads shouldn't glow very far after the last turns. if your wraps are not tight enough this can happen. if your leads are glowing past the last turns then you will have burning issues so its imperative that your coils are indeed tight, before adding the cotton and as you fire the coil should start to glow usually from the middle outwards. when you initially make your coil on the bit, is it tight? or does it loose its tightness as you mount it because your trying to connect to the posts? it really doesn't matter what kind of tweesers your using just as long as you can pinch the coil. if your coil is tight before mounting its just a matter of tweeking the coil leads in straight angles to the posts.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
From the photos, it looks like the wick is not completely touching all the inside of the coil. This will cause that metallic taste. I suggest a bit more cotton in the wicks. Also, no need to put the cotton down through the wick hole. Just fan it out on the deck over the wick hole. Once the wick is well saturated, the natural tilt of taking a toot will replenish the wick from the bottom.

Whitechapel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Willoughby Hills, OH
My bad, never can tell in pictures. :p Then yeah, just use a tad more cotton. But don't completely plug the wick hole cause you'll get a vacuum effect.

So just roll it to a point? Fatter at the top and thinner as it goes down. Enough to touch all of the coil but not so much that it plugs it. I learned that lesson tonight haha, on one attempt I rolled it so fat I almost wrecked the coil pulling it out. And it started to get burn marks on it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread