Five Pawns

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsdeath

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I grabbed some Gambit today at my local B&M, have been wanting to try an apple pie ejuice and have read great things about five pawns.
So far I'm very disappointed, maybe its just my set up, but all I get is a crust taste, no apple or vanilla.
vaping it on my SiD at 9 watts, in an aerotank.

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
My tastebuds are funky, but I got no lime. I am sensitive to licorice (because I hate it) so that's all I got from it. It was licorice in an herbally sort of way. And yes, so far Sixty-Four has come up as all dill - not a "hint" of it as described in the tasting notes, more like a TON of it. Another ECF friend had the same reaction.

Fifth Rank - rank, being the operative word here. Tasted like licorice (it's the horehound) and I do NOT like that.

no lime?

oh no....i just ordered because i heard the horehound was faint....

sixty four was all dill for me :unsure:

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
My tastebuds are funky, but I got no lime. I am sensitive to licorice (because I hate it) so that's all I got from it. It was licorice in an herbally sort of way. And yes, so far Sixty-Four has come up as all dill - not a "hint" of it as described in the tasting notes, more like a TON of it. Another ECF friend had the same reaction.

even after brushing my teeth, going to bed, waking up and brushing them again and drinking coffee (and not vaping any more 64) that dill came back to haunt me the next day-i could still taste it once in a while!
seriously, i'm all for adventurous combinations and herbal flavors, but who wants to vape dill???

"licorice in an herbally sort of way" that's how i remember those horehound candies tasting like....oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Fenway75

Moved On
Apr 8, 2014
OK, so I got the Signature and Mixology sampler packs, and have worked through almost all of them. All testing done on a Vision Spinner II with Kanger Evod 2 tanks at 2.0 ohms. My initial impressions thus far of the eight (of ten) I've tried:

Grandmaster - Delicious. The flavor is more crushed peanuts than peanut butter, the banana isn't overpowering, and the caramel is very subtle, being tasted more on the back end. This one projects to be delightful after a few weeks of sitting.

Gambit - This too is delicious, very subtle and nuanced. The apple is sweet and mellowed out nicely by the vanilla. Not cloyingly sweet, this is a candidate for long-term vaping such as road trips and study sessions when I don't want to change tanks often.

Queenside - Surprisingly good. I had expected to not like this one as much, but it's growing on me. The orange/vanilla combo could have come out too 'creamsicle' for my taste, but they mixed it just right IMHO. This one too should benefit from some time on the shelf.

Bowden's Mate - This one is...ok. The chocolate/mint combo works, but it's missing something I can't put my finger on. Letting it steep before making a final pronouncement, it's a candidate for a nice dessert vape if it benefits from time on the shelf.

Absolute Pin - Initially I'm not a fan. The cinnamon hits hard, and is followed up by a flick on the tip of the nose from the absinthe. The advertised caramel and irish cream are nowhere to be found. This one, like a couple still to be mentioned, is very susceptible to burning at mid-voltage. Hoping a good steep brings the complexity out of this one.

Castle Long - I am surprised at how much I like this one, as I'm usually not a fan of coconut. I think steeping will bring this one from 'nice' to 'delightful.'

Sixty-Four - This one is 'beige' to me. I get the dill and a bit of cucumber, but none of the mint or lemon zest. Hoping a steep will bring the flavors out on this one.

Fifth Rank - This one hits a bit hard for my taste. The lime is nice, but like others it's very susceptible to burning. It leaves a bit of a sting at the back of the throat I find unpleasant. Will let this one steep a week longer than the rest before the next trial, as the flavor mix is so intriguing I WANT it to work better than it is for me.

Still have Perpetual Check and Lucena to try, that'll come in the next couple of days. Overall I think the entire line will benefit from some steeping, and I'm learning that the mixology line especially is very sensitive to voltage changes with a 2.0 ohm bottom-coil tank.

Aureilie

Apr 9, 2014
The Desert
I grabbed some Gambit today at my local B&M, have been wanting to try an apple pie ejuice and have read great things about Five Pawns.
So far I'm very disappointed, maybe its just my set up, but all I get is a crust taste, no apple or vanilla.
Vaping it on my SiD at 9 watts, in an aerotank.

Try cranking up the wattage a bit. I vape it on 10.5-11 watts on my MVP2 with a Nautilus and I find it delicious.

Fenway75

Moved On
Apr 8, 2014
OK, time to compile all notes in one place. All testing done on a Vision Spinner II with Kanger Evod 2 tanks at 2.0 ohms. My initial impressions:

Grandmaster - Delicious. The flavor is more crushed peanuts than peanut butter, the banana isn't overpowering, and the caramel is very subtle, being tasted more on the back end. This one projects to be delightful after a few weeks of sitting.

Gambit - This too is delicious, very subtle and nuanced. The apple is sweet and mellowed out nicely by the vanilla. Not cloyingly sweet, this is a candidate for long-term vaping such as road trips and study sessions when I don't want to change tanks often.

Queenside - Surprisingly good. I had expected to not like this one as much, but it's growing on me. The orange/vanilla combo could have come out too 'creamsicle' for my taste, but they mixed it just right IMHO. This one too should benefit from some time on the shelf.

Bowden's Mate - This one is...ok. The chocolate/mint combo works, but it's missing something I can't put my finger on. Letting it steep before making a final pronouncement, it's a candidate for a nice dessert vape if it benefits from time on the shelf.

Absolute Pin - Initially I'm not a fan. The cinnamon hits hard, and is followed up by a flick on the tip of the nose from the absinthe. The advertised caramel and irish cream are nowhere to be found. This one, like a couple still to be mentioned, is very susceptible to burning at mid-voltage. Hoping a good steep brings the complexity out of this one.

Castle Long
- I am surprised at how much I like this one, as I'm usually not a fan of coconut. I think steeping will bring this one from 'nice' to 'delightful.'

Sixty-Four - This one is 'beige' to me. I get the dill and a bit of cucumber, but none of the mint or lemon zest. Hoping a steep will bring the flavors out on this one.

Fifth Rank
- This one hits a bit hard for my taste. The lime is nice, but like others it's very susceptible to burning. It leaves a bit of a sting at the back of the throat I find unpleasant. Will let this one steep a week longer than the rest before the next trial, as the flavor mix is so intriguing I WANT it to work better than it is for me.

Perpetual Check - Much more subtle than expected given the rest of the mixology line's initial results. Blackcurrant and cinnamon mix nicely, not getting lemon or barley yet but fig is there.

Lucena
- Peach forward, not overly sweet – not picking up the spiced rum yet, may mellow out and let it forward with steeping. Very pleasant out of the bottle.

Overall I think the entire collection will benefit from some steeping, and I'm learning that the mixology line especially is very sensitive to voltage changes with a 2.0 ohm bottom-coil tank.

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
I wish I could love Five Pawns, but the three I've tried, I've hated. Or maybe that's a good thing for my wallet?

Gambit - has the same base taste that I hate in Suicide Bunny's Mother's Milk, GLV's Deadly Sin, Nicoticket's CLS. It's the exact same flavor, and I have to believe it's custard or similar in each of them.

Absolute Pin - I hate even a hint of cinnamon, (though I love eating cinnamon - just find it too hot for vaping for me)

Queenside - smelled divine - too cloying for me - I dumped the bottle (sample). Literally make me scrunch up my face. It also had a hint of that base flavor as Gambit that I could taste.

I'm really glad that they do so well for others though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread