Fixed my Protank - Thanx ECF!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks guys! You just helped me save $20-$40 on buying another Protank or 2!! My 2nd Protank (1st one shattered after 2 months) started leaking profusely into my new eVic - I discovered when blowing throw my PT to get the excess juice out of the tube, that it had a pretty good leak coming from where the top of the glass meats the metal-mouthpiece.. This leak was most likely disrupting the pressure inside my tank causing it to leak out of the bottom at a pretty quick rate, my battery was filled to the tip at one point

I was about to order 2 more Protanks from DV, as well as either an eVod or 2 or the new T3S with the removable coil (was asking for all your help on which to choose also) to see if I liked their performance/flavor/vapor thickness better than the PT's.
... But I remember reading here that a few of you had this problem, and fixed it completely using some kind of Kitchen Silicone Glue.. So I looked around the house and found some "Premium Silicone Glue - Waterproof/Airtight, Sunproof/FreezeProof". So I gave the top of my PT a good layer all the way around, than pulled the mouthpiece up a tad (carefull not to pull it off, but it was loose), spread another good layer on, than pushed it down as hard as I could without breaking it, and let it sit overnight..

And Voila!! Been using it for about an hour today and no leaks, and no gurgles!! Looks a little sloppy with the glue all around the top, but hits like a champ! Even tried plugging the mouthpiece and tried blowing through the bottom to see if the juice would leak out where it was before, and couldn't even get a little air through - completely airtight!! Now I only need to order 1 more PT hehe. Thanks ECF, you helped me out on this one..
:toast:
.. Now I just need to start rebuilding my own coils! And I need to decide whether to get 1.8Ω or 2.5Ω coils for my PT/evic, I went through 20 of each already and can't decide which I like better?? Probably the 2.5s. And should I get an eVod to try out or the new T3S/MT3S, and which coils for those??
Thanks again guys!!:D

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Used a lot of food grade silicone in the commercial refrigeration business, a second career I picked up when I got out of retail. You can probably run a razor blade at 90 degrees to the top cap to score the silicone then peel it off so it's not visible on your PT without disturbing the good seal you've got.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Well I followed Glen's advice and trimmed some of the glue-layer away with a sharp little blade - it disrupted the seal and is no longer airtight.. So my PT started leaking again. I peeled away as much of the silicone glue as I could, and the metal mouthpiece came completely off; exposing the top of the glass which was broken in one spot

So I spread on a layer of silicone-glue just inside the metal mouthpiece, around the top of the (half broken) glass, and carefully pushed the glass back into place, as best I could.. Let it sit overnight, and it seems to be airtight again and is working okay. But now there's dried silicone-glue inside the very top of the mouthpiece, that got pushed in there from the glass when I pushed the glass in
.... Hopefully this glue doesn't burn and go into my lungs, or alter the taste of my juice. It's at the very top away from the coil, so hopefully I'm okay. New PT and an eVod on it's way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread