Status
Not open for further replies.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I rarely use TFA sour. Its basically malic acid and it can mute flavors. Generally I use FA lemon siciily at .15-.25% and I can actually use it in other recipes. Works well with blueberry for sure. By the way, I have never got "sour" from tfa sour. A slight tartness but not sour.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I rarely use TFA sour. Its basically malic acid and it can mute flavors. Generally I use FA lemon siciily at .15-.25% and I can actually use it in other recipes. Works well with blueberry for sure. By the way, I have never got "sour" from tfa sour. A slight tartness but not sour.
I've added WF pixie at 1.5% to enhance a tart without adding or taking away flavor. I use it at 3-4% for an actual pixie vape. As mentioned FA lemon sicily is good too but will fade. I use it more for snv. You could also try a sour gummy at 1-2% without changing flavor much. Another trick is to add a couple of drops from one of those little plastic lemons from the grocery store.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I've been reading that Flavor Apprentice Sour can really make fruit flavors pop and stand out without making the entire recipe sour. Does anyone have experience with it?
HIC, Head In Clouds, is the FA guru. If you google him his FA flavor notes should pop up.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Its all good. TFA lemon works and cap pink lemonade also works. The WF pixie sounds interesting.
I love the pixie. Have TFA sweet & tart and it's okay but doesn't have the kick I was hoping for. 2% of each makes a nice straight up lemon or lime tart powder candy without being dry.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I love the pixie. Have TFA sweet & tart and it's okay but doesn't have the kick I was hoping for. 2% of each makes a nice straight up lemon or lime tart powder candy without being dry.
Ive been searching for the sour for a couple of years now and never got more than a slight tartness. Vapor train has one I want to try out. I want that airheads sour but it doesnt exist

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Ive been searching for the sour for a couple of years now and never got more than a slight tartness. Vapor train has one I want to try out. I want that airheads sour but it doesnt exist
Wish BCF would restock soon, they are out of most of the VTA flavors I want to try. I like a bit of sour but the bite of tart is what I chase.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Wish BCF would restock soon, they are out of most of the VTA flavors I want to try. I like a bit of sour but the bite of tart is what I chase.
They never actually had most of them. Waiting for stock to show up. Quite a few I want to try also

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I've been reading that Flavor Apprentice Sour can really make fruit flavors pop and stand out without making the entire recipe sour. Does anyone have experience with it?
I don't know; maybe I am reading your post all wrong. I am reading that you are looking for something to make your fruit flavors stand out without adding much, if any extra sour. Is that correct?

If so, I would say try TFA Sour in a small batch first (and order a small sample size until you know if you like it). Unlike @dc99, I get a sourness out of it, even at low percentages (>0.5%). If you are not particularly sensitive to the sour characteristic of sour, I could see where it might add some brightness to a recipe.

You could also take the concentrate, and dilute it down further, to make it easier to work with. Add 1mL of sour, to 9mL of PG (or your choice of base) and you end up with a concentrate only one tenth as strong. Using this diluted concentrate at 1-2% is like using the full strength concentrate at 0.1-0.2%.

If you want to avoid the sour altogether; the use of secondary fruits can often be helpful. Used at low percentages (<2%); concentrates like Dragon Fruit, and Pear are popular to enhance a fruit's profile in a mix... without adding their own noticeable presence. Inawera Cactus is also good for this and it adds a bit of juiciness as well.

Adding a bit of similar flavor (such as apple "B" to apple "A"), from a different manufacturer can add depth, and fill out a flavor note that is a little too "one dimensional."

If you want sour; TFA Sour is as good a place to start as any. It happens to be 20% malic acid (the acid found in apples and pears). For real sour aficionados, Wizard Labs offers their own Super Sour, which is 40% malic acid. Lorann has a popular offering called Tart & Sour that is a combination of citric and malic acids.

You can also go old-school and try lemon juice (like the kind that comes in the plastic yellow lemon from the grocery store), or vinegar (white, or cider). I tried these in my early days of DIY, and they worked, but also had one problem... they tended to fade rather quickly (around a week). however, it is a nice cheap way, to see if acids will do what you want. :D
(Note on these old-school ingredients: two things to take into consideration. 1. they are usually diluted to 5% acidity; so they won't be as potent as their flavor concentrate counterparts. 2. They have stronger aromas than their flavor concentrate counterparts (which have none that I can detect).)

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I don't know; maybe I am reading your post all wrong. I am reading that you are looking for something to make your fruit flavors stand out without adding much, if any extra sour. Is that correct?

If so, I would say try TFA Sour in a small batch first (and order a small sample size until you know if you like it). Unlike @dc99, I get a sourness out of it, even at low percentages (>0.5%). If you are not particularly sensitive to the sour characteristic of sour, I could see where it might add some brightness to a recipe.

You could also take the concentrate, and dilute it down further, to make it easier to work with. Add 1mL of sour, to 9mL of PG (or your choice of base) and you end up with a concentrate only one tenth as strong. Using this diluted concentrate at 1-2% is like using the full strength concentrate at 0.1-0.2%.

If you want to avoid the sour altogether; the use of secondary fruits can often be helpful. Used at low percentages (<2%); concentrates like Dragon Fruit, and Pear are popular to enhance a fruit's profile in a mix... without adding their own noticeable presence. Inawera Cactus is also good for this and it adds a bit of juiciness as well.

Adding a bit of similar flavor (such as apple "B" to apple "A"), from a different manufacturer can add depth, and fill out a flavor note that is a little too "one dimensional."

If you want sour; TFA Sour is as good a place to start as any. It happens to be 20% malic acid (the acid found in apples and pears). For real sour aficionados, Wizard Labs offers their own Super Sour, which is 40% malic acid. Lorann has a popular offering called Tart & Sour that is a combination of citric and malic acids.

You can also go old-school and try lemon juice (like the kind that comes in the plastic yellow lemon from the grocery store), or vinegar (white, or cider). I tried these in my early days of DIY, and they worked, but also had one problem... they tended to fade rather quickly (around a week). however, it is a nice cheap way, to see if acids will do what you want. :D
(Note on these old-school ingredients: two things to take into consideration. 1. they are usually diluted to 5% acidity; so they won't be as potent as their flavor concentrate counterparts. 2. They have stronger aromas than their flavor concentrate counterparts (which have none that I can detect).)
I'm not actually trying for sour, I just want my fruit flavors to be really bold and rich. I do like sweet too but not too much.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm not actually trying for sour, I just want my fruit flavors to be really bold and rich. I do like sweet too but not too much.
Dragon fruit or cactus would be my recommendations if you are just looking to enhance. Also just .5-1% of marshmallow will give fruit a boost.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I've added WF pixie at 1.5% to enhance a tart without adding or taking away flavor. I use it at 3-4% for an actual pixie vape. As mentioned FA lemon sicily is good too but will fade. I use it more for snv. You could also try a sour gummy at 1-2% without changing flavor much. Another trick is to add a couple of drops from one of those little plastic lemons from the grocery store.
Letitia, thanks to you I just got in some WF Pixie. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread