Flavor Ban - Call To Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
In terms of NYC, my bets are loss of tax revenue more than anything else. At the point where I quit analogs a year and a half ago, a pack in NYC was $13. Considering what...probably $10 of that price was tax? Just my quitting, a pack-a-day type, that's tax revenue loss of $3650/year from just ONE person.

I totally agree. I don't think it has anything to do with health or "saving the children" at all. I think its all about money. Lost taxes and BT missing payments from the 1998 lawsuit. Guess whose payments they're missing? NY and CA. The 2 states trying the hardest to stop vaping.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
The die hard anti-smoking crowd doesn't care about current generations or the ones that immediately follow. They believe completely that sufficient social pressure and regulation applied over several generations will eventually stub out nicotine addiction entirely. And they might be right. If you create enough of a stigma and disincentive to use tobacco/nicotine products over a long enough time scale the usage rates would probably reach statistically insignificant levels. As long as the rates keep falling their strategy is working regardless of how many people die from smoking related issues while this plays out.

Vaping is clearly a thorn in their side. It has people leaving traditional cigarettes, but not abstaining from nicotine. If vaping was taken out of the context of pleasurable long-term use, and put squarely into a context of a short term smoking cessation treatment option we would get a lot less backlash. They don't like that this is a long term option - it puts the strategy at risk. Put simply they won't risk their children's children growing up in a completely anti-tobacco/anti-nicotine world to save adults who are using this to quit today. They would far rather stamp out this vaping thing completely.

You are never going to convince people with this mentality that vaping is a good thing. It doesn't matter how many people quit or how many lives it saves. The only thing we can do is stand with a loud and unified voice and let them know it won't be taken sitting down. Not everyone is like this, so I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't educate people when they are clearly misinformed. I'm just pointing out (venting) that the people that push for this legislation are not likely to be swayed. They simply have their own agenda and are willing to let you die in order to stick to it.

Apologies in advance if this strikes you as morbid or depressing. I guess I just needed to get it out. I firmly believe we just need to work together to create enough push back against these bozos. Whether you are a fan of gun rights or not we could all take a page from the NRA playbook here. There are always going to be those folks with ideological aversions to what you care about, and there's no amount of common sense, statistics, or rational arguments that will talk them down off their pulpit. The only functional response is letting them know they aren't going to get what they want without a drag down knockout fight.

I'd love to use this for a blog post! If you would care to expand on it, and would kindly give me permission to publish it - I think people need to hear this...

EDT: Something that links this thread and outlines some of the "community reaction" is what I am thinking... maybe take excerpts or quotes from this thread?

Last edited:

motabrownie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
Lawrence, KS
The die hard anti-smoking crowd doesn't care about current generations or the ones that immediately follow. They believe completely that sufficient social pressure and regulation applied over several generations will eventually stub out nicotine addiction entirely. And they might be right. If you create enough of a stigma and disincentive to use tobacco/nicotine products over a long enough time scale the usage rates would probably reach statistically insignificant levels. As long as the rates keep falling their strategy is working regardless of how many people die from smoking related issues while this plays out.

Vaping is clearly a thorn in their side. It has people leaving traditional cigarettes, but not abstaining from nicotine. If vaping was taken out of the context of pleasurable long-term use, and put squarely into a context of a short term smoking cessation treatment option we would get a lot less backlash. They don't like that this is a long term option - it puts the strategy at risk. Put simply they won't risk their children's children growing up in a completely anti-tobacco/anti-nicotine world to save adults who are using this to quit today. They would far rather stamp out this vaping thing completely.

You are never going to convince people with this mentality that vaping is a good thing. It doesn't matter how many people quit or how many lives it saves. The only thing we can do is stand with a loud and unified voice and let them know it won't be taken sitting down. Not everyone is like this, so I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't educate people when they are clearly misinformed. I'm just pointing out (venting) that the people that push for this legislation are not likely to be swayed. They simply have their own agenda and are willing to let you die in order to stick to it.

Apologies in advance if this strikes you as morbid or depressing. I guess I just needed to get it out. I firmly believe we just need to work together to create enough push back against these bozos. Whether you are a fan of gun rights or not we could all take a page from the NRA playbook here. There are always going to be those folks with ideological aversions to what you care about, and there's no amount of common sense, statistics, or rational arguments that will talk them down off their pulpit. The only functional response is letting them know they aren't going to get what they want without a drag down knockout fight.

Preach it brotha!

But I don't think the ecig lobbyists have the influence or money that the NRA has. I think we'd have better luck if we started referring to ecigs as 'medicinal'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread