Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi everyone!

I'm new to DIY and wondering if anyone out there would be nice enough to write me a list of all the brands of flavors that are out there? I am familiar with Flavor Apprentice and Capella, but I would love to know more.
Yeah there are too many to list here. ELR has a master list with abbr. on their site. I'm sure there is also a few lists you can find on google.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone!
I'm new to DIY and wondering if anyone out there would be nice enough to write me a list of all the brands of flavors that are out there? I am familiar with Flavor Apprentice and Capella, but I would love to know more.
If your starting out, I recommend sticking to the basic big 3: Fa/TFA,CA/P, FW Flavor West. You can buy them in 4-8 ml sizes generally less than $2 each (Wizard Labs re: Flavor West as an example).
Why? Because you can sample a lot of flavors economically before you decide which categories you would like to specialize/further explor in. Then, if you desire, start to buy the perceived higher end/cost flavors if need be. I've found that cost and flavor/taste are not always synonymous.
There is no one place that lists all the flavor blenders.
re: FLAVOR/FLAVOUR Suppliers
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/11/23/the-taste-makers

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
If your starting out, I recommend sticking to the basic big 3: Fa/TFA,CA/P, FW Flavor West. You can buy them in 4-8 ml sizes generally less than $2 each (Wizard Labs re: Flavor West as an example).
Why? Because you can sample a lot of flavors economically before you decide which categories you would like to specialize/further explor in. Then, if you desire, start to buy the perceived higher end/cost flavors if need be. I've found that cost and flavor/taste are not always synonymous.
There is no one place that lists all the flavor blenders.
re: FLAVOR/FLAVOUR Suppliers
The Taste Makers
I can't agree with sticking to a few brands. Wonder Flavors and Purlium have some delightful flavors that are stronger and more cost efficient in the long run. 100% agree on buying samples only at first.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Flavor art does have some great stuff, for sure. Of course, you just gotta start somewhere, when it comes right down to it. No really wrong place to start, IMO. I just made sure that when I started out I ordered in "tiny tester" quantities. Etc. I do find having different flavoring companies "doubles" or sometimes "triples" of the same flavor can lead to really rich flavors. I have a coconut where I use 3, plus a bit more flotsam and jetsam. It blends in well with my "coco" flavor among others but it's a nice standalone.

The only flavor (besides Orange Sherbet, which I was kind of expecting to hate) was a flavor called "Joy" I think it might be a Nicotine River "select" flavor, but I know I obtained it from them, anyway.

It is the antithesis of "joy" it appears to be some weird, bizarr-o concoction of all the worst "baking"
flavors, including clove, nutmeg etc., only combined into a godawful "mess" of VERY strong... something. It was so gross, I tossed it after my first time using it. I didn't want it "polluting" my other flavors if it accidentally got opened. I have heard rumors that it can improve a recipe here and there, but it must be on the orders of parts per million, honestly. I found it rather poignant and FUNNY they called it that, as it really smelled and tasted like whatever the antithesis of Joy is? Maybe.... MISERY? I wish they'd named it THAT. But yeah, I was worried a spill might cause misery to the rest of my flavors.... but, then again, it's not every day a flavor like THAT comes around. I did a bunch of taste testing storebought flavors first though, just to get a sense of things I loved, and things I hated. That actually helped me with my initial selection a LOT.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: christylh8

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    was a flavor called "Joy" I think it might be a Nicotine River "select" flavor, but I know I obtained it from them, anyway.
    So it was NoJoy for you. It could be FA Joy which is very strong, usually sub 1% and worthy of a dilution. Sweet bakery notes. YMMV

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yep that was it. Maybe I wouldn't have hated it so much, but that nutmeg clovvy thing just makes me want to hurl. I had a teenage experience with nutmeg cookies that was among the worst things I ever "encountered" in my misspent youth, so probably even using it correctly I would have not enjoyed it. I got the "taste" of it alright, that was for sure, I was mixing flavors singly and at about 6% at the time.

No joy for me, LOL, no

Anna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    FYI on FlavorArt (FA) concentrates: FA originated in Italy; so some of their concentrates are formulated to European palates vs. U.S. expectations. It is not unexpected to find different spice and/or citrus notes where westerners may not be expecting them. (Please note that I said "different" and not "bad.")

A good description of many FA flavors has been compiled by a person who goes by HeadInClouds (aka: HIC). You can download his most resent flavor notes here. They are available for free; though donations are accepted. As always, taste is subjective... even his, but it is good place to start for FA concentrates.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    There are also some vendors who have what we call one shot flavors/blends.
    what these are is all we as diyers to is add our own level of nic, pg, vg. And most I have tried are excellent. I usually recommend these to a new member starting out on diy for 2 reasons.

1. It gives you something to vape while learning how to diy
    2. It helps to build your confidence that you really can do this.

Onestopdiyshop has some really good ones. Found here
    10 ml (Sample Size)

I highly recommend the succulent strawberry.

and here
    10 ml (Sample Size)

The Blueberry Raz Slushy is very good as is the
    Southern Sweet tea.

Keep these in mind if you decide to start DIY. These examples are by no means the only ones out there. This concept is really starting to catch on with the vendors.

:)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    In addition to the favorites of Sugar_and_Spice...I'll add my own favorites, too, of the One Stop Flavors and One Stop Blends from OneStopDIYShop: Lucky Shot, Lotta Latte, Baked Cinnamon Roll, Blueberry, Pink Lemonade, and Licorice Torpedoes.

I use all of those singly, except for the Lotta Latte. I mix it @ 6% with Lucky Shot @ 7% to make what I call "Caramel Latte". Some people call the same combination that they make (at whatever % of each that they prefer)..."Lucky Latte". No matter what you call it though, it's really good!

Also, OneStopDIYShop has an on-going coupon code that will give you 11% off your total order. Since they also carry many of the main brands of flavorings (TFA, CAP, etc.)...you can save quite a bit ordering from them. You can use either of these codes for the discount: ECF or JFK. If you sign up for their email newsletters you'll also know about other sales with codes for higher % off your total order!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I made my first batch of single flavors last night with my FA 10mL samples. I compared how strongly they smelled when finished and compared that to my favorite store bought juices. I may be wrong, but I think I'm going to be a 12% flavor girl, if not more. :p
    You used 12% for the FA flavors?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I made my first batch of single flavors last night with my FA 10mL samples. I compared how strongly they smelled when finished and compared that to my favorite store bought juices. I may be wrong, but I think I'm going to be a 12% flavor girl, if not more. :p
    Which specific FA concentrates are you testing? (12% does sound high to me, for FA concentrates, but I have only experimented with 27 of them.) What percentage(s) are you mixing them at (did you start at 12%; or something else)?

I can't speak for anyone but myself; but I find smell (aroma) a poor indicator of actual mixed potency or taste. however; I will be the first to admit that my sense of smell is pretty poor:facepalm:. Sense of smell does often play a big part of how, and what, we taste (I can taste almost nothing when I am congested; vape, food, or beverage). But I can't seem to get an accurate sense of what something tastes like until I get it in my mouth.

What type(s) of atomizer(s)(brand/model) do you prefer to vape with? What coils, and resistance of, do you use in them? Specific setups can have substantial differences in flavor requirements.

Old-school CE4 clearomizers, Stardusts, and Vivi Novas, which are classically higher resistance, and stingy juice-sippers, can require more flavoring; than low-resistance, juice guzzling, cloud-chucking, drippers and tanks that are more prevalent today.

Also, power (wattage) and airflow settings, affect taste. If you are using a variable wattage, or voltage device; be sure to experiment with higher, and lower, power settings. Likewise, if your atty has adjustable airflow; experiment with tighter (more restrictive), and looser (more airy), air flows. You might be surprised at how much of a difference these small adjustments can make (and they can vary from flavor to flavor too). The answer is not always "more concentrate."

"Too much" concentrate can actually have unwanted results. It can overwhelm your taste receptors and cause the flavor to mute and disappear. It can add unwanted "artificial", and "chemical" tasting elements, to your mix.

I find, for me, when working with a new flavor; it is best to start low, and increase as needed.

Now that I have said all that; only you can decide how much flavoring is right for you! People who have recently quit smoking, or still smoke, often require much more flavoring, than someone who has not smoked in quite a while. Individual diet can have an influence as well. Strong flavors (especially those which are oil-based; like coffee, garlic, and onion) can overwork and coat our taste buds. Which, in turn, can make one need additional flavoring.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 29, 2018
    Huntsville, AL
    Which specific FA concentrates are you testing? (12% does sound high to me, for FA concentrates, but I have only experimented with 27 of them.) What percentage(s) are you mixing them at (did you start at 12%; or something else)?

I can't speak for anyone but myself; but I find smell (aroma) a poor indicator of actual mixed potency or taste. however; I will be the first to admit that my sense of smell is pretty poor:facepalm:. Sense of smell does often play a big part of how, and what, we taste (I can taste almost nothing when I am congested; vape, food, or beverage). But I can't seem to get an accurate sense of what something tastes like until I get it in my mouth.

What type(s) of atomizer(s)(brand/model) do you prefer to vape with? What coils, and resistance of, do you use in them? Specific setups can have substantial differences in flavor requirements.

Old-school CE4 clearomizers, Stardusts, and Vivi Novas, which are classically higher resistance, and stingy juice-sippers, can require more flavoring; than low-resistance, juice guzzling, cloud-chucking, drippers and tanks that are more prevalent today.

Also, power (wattage) and airflow settings, affect taste. If you are using a variable wattage, or voltage device; be sure to experiment with higher, and lower, power settings. Likewise, if your atty has adjustable airflow; experiment with tighter (more restrictive), and looser (more airy), air flows. You might be surprised at how much of a difference these small adjustments can make (and they can vary from flavor to flavor too). The answer is not always "more concentrate."

"Too much" concentrate can actually have unwanted results. It can overwhelm your taste receptors and cause the flavor to mute and disappear. It can add unwanted "artificial", and "chemical" tasting elements, to your mix.

I find, for me, when working with a new flavor; it is best to start low, and increase as needed.

Now that I have said all that; only you can decide how much flavoring is right for you! People who have recently quit smoking, or still smoke, often require much more flavoring, than someone who has not smoked in quite a while. Individual diet can have an influence as well. Strong flavors (especially those which are oil-based; like coffee, garlic, and onion) can overwork and coat our taste buds. Which, in turn, can make one need additional flavoring.
    I didn't really do 12%. Started off with 5%. Just wondering if I'm going to end up going higher when these are steeped. It's good to know that smell isn't an overall indicator though. Right now I am sub ohm vaping - and it seems like with these inferior SMOK coils, the stronger juices tastes best. If I ever start building and have fresh cotton, I'm sure I'll get more subtle details.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I didn't really do 12%. Started off with 5%. Just wondering if I'm going to end up going higher when these are steeped. It's good to know that smell isn't an overall indicator though. Right now I am sub ohm vaping - and it seems like with these inferior SMOK coils, the stronger juices tastes best. If I ever start building and have fresh cotton, I'm sure I'll get more subtle details.
    Thing to keep in mind is the stronger they smell the less taste they have when mixing. The smell will weaken as flavor blooms and the melding with your base begins. Much of the stronger taste in commercial juices is due to excessive use of sweeteners. I was shocked at how fast I started dropping my percentages after quitting commercial juices all together. Most of my mixes now are 8-14% total flavors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread