DIY e liquid vs Big Box Retailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigster

Aug 2, 2017
SF Bay Area
I use one of the DIY specific suppliers ECX (E-Cig Express)...I get my base from them as well...There are several others...At ECX look in "Flavors" and you'll see all the names you mentioned...Here's a few links...Trig

DIY E-Liquid, Electronic Cigarettes and Wholesale Nicotine & E-Cig Juice | EcigExpress
Bull City Vapor Bull City
Wizard Labs Wizard lab Flavor link

EDIT: You'll see ECX has a "House Brand"...I'd assume they use the same flavorings they sell...But I don't think they'd be willing to say what's what !!!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Recipes would be
I am wondering what Brand flavor extracts Big Box Retailers use? for example Halo, My Freedom Smokes, etc. Do they use The same ones as us? for example: TFA, Flavor Apprentice, Capella's, etc...

If anyone knows what companies use what (not limited to the examples) can you please share? Thanks!
Recipes would be trade secrets we aren't going to hear about. But, are there any very small mixing companies whose liquids rival the larger ones? I would guess there probably are and it's a safe bet they aren't concocting their own flavoring. It seems to me that would be a risky business unless you own the sophisticated and expensive equipment that detects undesirable chemicals in new flavors.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
If anyone knows what companies use what (not limited to the examples) can you please share? Thanks!
The only thing I believe is most likely correct:
FlavorWorkshopHow
Years ago, TFA posted some information which was true then, not sure if it is still true.
Near 100% of all commercial flavors are produced by the big three:
IFF in New York (International Flavors and Fragrances), Givaudan, and Firmenich (Switzerland).
We may be vaping second or third or more generations of re mixers/blenders.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I ordered some of the Nicotine River "proprietary" flavors, they arrive today. I was a bit interested in some of them. Most vape stores I've been in where I've asked about flavorings, they say what company they use and in all cases, they've been flavorings that have been equally as readily available to DIY-ers.

I'd say the way they use them may be different-- there is no way I'm sweetening at 5% and mixing total flavorings at 20%. That's just overkill in my opinion, and I prefer to use way less flavoring in my mixes. That is the nice thing about DIY, you can really experiment with what works for you. I started out rather minimalist in my flavorings, and have reluctantly purchased a sweetener and some known sweeter flavorings, but I still imagine I'm going to be in the 3--6 or 7% flavoring AT MOST, and less than 1% on sweeteners.....

Anna

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
You know this because...? Is it public information? If so do you have links?

On several occasions Mt. Baker was fairly open about using Flavor West for a lot of their mixes. Having bought and vaped several baker flavors and the corresponding FW flavors I can guarantee that they use FW for several of their flavors.

katking

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
www.katking.com
I use pure therapeutic grade essential oils, VG, and sweeten with Stevia. THE "Trick" is to dissolve about 1 tablespoon pure 94% Stevie powder in about 1oz brandy. Use to taste. Doesn't gunk up my coils and thins out the VG.

I have been doing this for years. I get tons of vape smoke, the taste is fantastic, and I hope I am reducing any health risks

Reactions: Letitia

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Is it safe to vape essential oils, really? What kind of quantities, not that I'm certain I'd be trying that. No offense. I mean, I'm assuming you're using tiny amounts, but don't they taste awful, too? I've used essential oils for many things (backrubs, killing nasty odors, reducing the risk of fungal infections) but not vaping, and I really can't imagine it.

Anna

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
the only difference in BB retail and DIY is usually ... the fancy label :blink:

IMG_1683.JPG

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I use pure therapeutic grade essential oils, VG, and sweeten with Stevia. THE "Trick" is to dissolve about 1 tablespoon pure 94% Stevie powder in about 1oz brandy. Use to taste. Doesn't gunk up my coils and thins out the VG.

I have been doing this for years. I get tons of vape smoke, the taste is fantastic, and I hope I am reducing any health risks

It is my understanding that oils should never be used for vaping. I would do a little research on this.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It is my understanding that oils should never be used for vaping. I would do a little research on this.

Agree. It's the reason that oil in nose drops was removed 50 years ago. People were sniffing them into the lungs and developing Lipid Pneumonia. If it doesn't dissolve in water it has no place in vape juice.

Worth a read.
Lipid pneumonia - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread