Flavor Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DictatorZero

Mar 26, 2012
Arizona, USA
So I've been mixing my own fluids for several months now and have never run into this problem until several weeks ago. About 3 months ago I found a awesome red licorice flavor by Flavor West that I loved. It tasted like I was eating red licorice which is pretty much what I wanted. Now 3 months later it no longer tastes that way...in fact it has little to no flavor to me and my wife says the vapor stinks(which she really didn't notice before).

I've done all the things I could think of:

-Cleaned my vivi tank and replaced the atomizer

-tried adding more flavoring

-tried different nicliquids

-Tried different dilutents(sp)

none of these seem to work. I haven't changed the mix ratios aside from adding more flavor to see if that would work. The fluid still smells like red licorice, but no longer tastes that way also it seems that there no longer is any throat hit with the fluid even though again I haven't changed the ratio (something along the lines of 66%vg /3%pg and I even tried 66%pg/33%vg), but there now there is no throat hit and hasn't been for the past 2 weeks and I've been using the same batch for about 5 or 6 weeks...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
I've found that at least one of my blends alters in taste after steeping for a certain period of time. It could be, that some blends just taste better fresh.

Have you tried mixing a fresh bottle to see if there was any change?

If you did, and it still tastes the same, I guess I would try and not vape it for perhaps a whole day, or two, and come back to it. Also, do you have any attys available? If so, have you tried it in an atty? Personally, I think flavors come out more in attys over something like a Vivi Nova, or any other clearomizer type application.

317Vapers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Indiana
www.youtube.com
I have the same problem with Halo's Malibu new bottles from fresh-2 weeks are fine but after that it loses its flavor big time to the point It just tastes like a bland menthol to me. I have noticed if you use a neti pot couple times a week your flavors become more apparent and you can taste/smell them better!

DictatorZero

Mar 26, 2012
Arizona, USA
OK I made a new batch, this time I only made 10ml, I kept the same ratios (2nic/2vg/1flavor) and it has slightly more flavor, but it's still not the same. This leads me to think that it's probably the flavoring that is the issue...which I find odd, because I used 2 different bottles of flavoring and got the same issues. Course I did buy them at the same time. I guess I'll try getting a new bottle and see if anything changes.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Try adding an acid to your mix. It really does help stave off the flavor drop syndrome. I use apple cider vinegar in all of my mixes, 1 drop per 5ml. Some prefer lemon juice, tart & sour, malic acid etc. Lowering the PH helps stabilize the juice.

ETA: Here's the link to the information on vinegar. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/252238-vinegar.html

Last edited:

myxomatosis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
KC
www.facebook.com
I've noticed this before too. I think your taste buds develop an immunity to the flavor if you vape the same thing constantly. Same problem I run into when I commit to any one flavor for long periods of time (several weeks or months).

If you haven't already, shelf it and move to another flavor for about a week and revisit it again and I'll bet the flavor improves. This works for me 100% of the time.

Good luck man!

:vapor:

restatelady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
Florida
Shelving it for a week is a great idea and always works for me also. However, there are some juices that I don't want to leave alone for a week. I have found that if I vape a peppermint juice for several hours it seems to clear and reset the taste receptors again. If that doesn't work then I would agree you have a flavoring problem for sure.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
I noticed flavors can 'over-oxidize' and start to taste like crap.
For instance, my TFA pineapple, whihc used to be my all time best flavor -juicy,yummy,fresh,sweet- is now nasty, almost rotten smelling. Its like night and day. Its almost like I had a fresh pineapple, now after sitting for over a month it rotted.

The only thing I can think of to remedy this is to keep it very cold and try to keep air in the bottle to a minimum.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Yeah, solved the problem. Ordered a new bottle of flavoring and that fixed the issue, so it seems the other bottles just lost some of their flavor. I will try the acid trick and see if that helps at all before I decide to dispose of the flavoring.

I doubt that you will get noticeable results using the acid "after the fact." It should be added when your juice is created to prevent flavor loss. Won't hurt to try though, ya nevva know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread