DIY Fluid Flavor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DictatorZero

Mar 26, 2012
Arizona, USA
So I've been mixing my own fluids for several months now and have never run into this problem until several weeks ago. About 3 months ago I found a awesome red licorice flavor by Flavor West that I loved. It tasted like I was eating red licorice which is pretty much what I wanted. Now 3 months later it no longer tastes that way...in fact it has little to no flavor to me and my wife says the vapor stinks(which she really didn't notice before).

I've done all the things I could think of:

-Cleaned my vivi tank and replaced the atomizer

-tried adding more flavoring

-tried different nicliquids

-Tried different dilutents(sp)

none of these seem to work. I haven't changed the mix ratios aside from adding more flavor to see if that would work. The fluid still smells like red licorice, but no longer tastes that way also it seems that there no longer is any throat hit with the fluid even though again I haven't changed the ratio (something along the lines of 66%vg /3%pg and I even tried 66%pg/33%vg), but there now there is no throat hit and hasn't been for the past 2 weeks and I've been using the same batch for about 5 or 6 weeks...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

So, is this issue with a current bottle you have made, or a new bottle of juice? If you've made more juice and its still having issues. id say something has happened to the flavor. How old is your flavoring? Nic? what are the storage conditions of your DIY stuff? A cool dry place is best. Have you mixed other flavors using the same NIC and mixers and it tastes correctly?

DictatorZero

Mar 26, 2012
Arizona, USA
well this issue I think started with my last batch, but I'm fairly sure I had the same issue with the last batch. Each was made with different bottles of the same flavor. Storage is thus: nic liquid is stored in the fridge and only removed when needed, flavoring I have on my desk, but it's out of direct sunlight...as this is Arizona, finding a cool place is a little complicated.

There has been other fluid mixed using the same nic liquid and mixers, I haven't used it as it was for my wife, bit she said it tastes the same as it did in previous batches.

MattBott

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
First, make one more post and you can post in the DIY sub section.

Second, Were the two bottles sitting around (steeping) the same amount of time before the oddity set in?

What percentage are you mixing the flavoring at?

Looks like that flavor has alcohol in it. A fresh mix with an alcohol base can have a harsh (nice to some) TH. Once steeped, this will mellow out as the alc spreads evenly over the mixture or evaporates.

List your recipe and lets see what's going on.

DictatorZero

Mar 26, 2012
Arizona, USA
I'm not certain if they were sitting around for the same amount of time.

I think I'm doing the flavor at somewhere like 15 or 20%. my mixing for a 30ml bottle is as followed:
12ml 50/50 vg/pg nic liquid
12ml plain pg (last batch was VG)
6ml flavoring

I'm not getting too much throat his, I'm getting not enough...and it wasn't like this before.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
I'm not certain if they were sitting around for the same amount of time.

I think I'm doing the flavor at somewhere like 15 or 20%. my mixing for a 30ml bottle is as followed:
12ml 50/50 vg/pg nic liquid
12ml plain pg (last batch was VG)
6ml flavoring

I'm not getting too much throat his, I'm getting not enough...and it wasn't like this before.

from what im gathering the issue was with the last batch where you used plain vg instead of the pg.... if this is the case there can be several contributing factors:

1) more vg with produce a weaker th, for me anything over 30% vg th is non existent. this can be fixed by thinning the vg with a little PGA(pure grain alcohol)
2) vg tends to sweeten juice which can cause a taste in flavor, may also effect the smell of the juice when vaporized.
3) since you are in a hotter climate(lived in bull head city for a few years) you should try keeping all mixing supplies/ juice in a fridge as much as possible. here in florida i tend to keep everything in the fridge until i need it. even the flavor im currently vaping.
4) depending on the supplier supply you could have had nic that had been sitting for a while and if it takes a while for you to use the supply it will sit longer, which can cause the nic to go stale. does your stuff have expirations?

hope this helps you out

DictatorZero

Mar 26, 2012
Arizona, USA
from what im gathering the issue was with the last batch where you used plain vg instead of the pg.... if this is the case there can be several contributing factors:

1) more vg with produce a weaker th, for me anything over 30% vg th is non existent. this can be fixed by thinning the vg with a little PGA(pure grain alcohol)
2) vg tends to sweeten juice which can cause a taste in flavor, may also effect the smell of the juice when vaporized.
3) since you are in a hotter climate(lived in bull head city for a few years) you should try keeping all mixing supplies/ juice in a fridge as much as possible. here in florida i tend to keep everything in the fridge until i need it. even the flavor im currently vaping.
4) depending on the supplier supply you could have had nic that had been sitting for a while and if it takes a while for you to use the supply it will sit longer, which can cause the nic to go stale. does your stuff have expirations?

hope this helps you out

Well it was both this batch and the previous batch that the flavor just kinda disapeared.

as far as expiration dates from the nic liquids I've actually used only one has a date on it (Oct 18 2012), but I don't know if that is an expiration date or a bottling date (since I bought it in late october)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread