Flavor Suggestions - Just starting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

CampbellMC

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2014
NS, Canada
Hello there, I am looking to get into DIY e-liquid once we get past this Christmas rush and I was wondering if I could get some ideas for which flavors to start off with and what they mix well with.

I am mostly into fruity and sweet flavors, Strawberry, Watermelon, Bubblegum, Lemon, Lime, Blueberry and Raspberry to name a few of my favorites. I was wondering which ones of these people would recommend. Looking for stand alone or easy mixtures to get started off till I figure out how everything goes. Also I know I will want a sweetener as well, can anyone recommend a good one, and are there any other additives I should have on hand?

Final request is for a flavor I have been craving but have not found a decent one, Raspberry Lemonade, does anyone have the mix percents for a good version of this?

Thank you for all your help and any other advice for someone just starting out will be greatly appreciated.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf CampbellMC. So glad you are here. DIY is a wonderful hobby. Here is a site that I found helpful in the beginning.

Flavor Profiles that Pair Together in Recipes - Nouveau RawNouveau Raw
JC_link.gif

Of course there are some wonderful threads on ecf. Good luck to you. I hope this is what you where asking. Have fun and happy mixing.

CampbellMC

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2014
NS, Canada
I suppose more what I am looking for is what would be the best Strawberry (sweet) out there, as well as Watermelon and possibly Orange/Tangerine. Which supplier do you recommend for the base flavors, and after reading through many threads I would be looking to pick up some sort of cream and sweetener. I am looking to get started for the least amount of money I can, and slowly build my selection of flavors to mix. I have seen a lot of basic recipes with strawberries and cream which would get me started at least. Also I have seen a lot of people commenting on how different suppliers VG/PG have very different tastes. I know a lot of people go with amazon in the states for theirs, but could anyone recommend a Canadian retailer (or if amazon would have any issues with shipping to Canada without silly fees on shipping liquids.

FreeTimeNow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
Henderson, NV
I suppose more what I am looking for is what would be the best Strawberry (sweet) out there, as well as Watermelon and possibly Orange/Tangerine. Which supplier do you recommend for the base flavors, and after reading through many threads I would be looking to pick up some sort of cream and sweetener. I am looking to get started for the least amount of money I can, and slowly build my selection of flavors to mix. I have seen a lot of basic recipes with strawberries and cream which would get me started at least. Also I have seen a lot of people commenting on how different suppliers VG/PG have very different tastes. I know a lot of people go with amazon in the states for theirs, but could anyone recommend a Canadian retailer (or if amazon would have any issues with shipping to Canada without silly fees on shipping liquids.
I'm new to mixing too and had the same question a couple weeks ago and was pointed to the same "pairing flavors" link. It really is a great tool, especially if you're not a natural cook. I have gone on ecigexpress.com and they have a lot of flavors by most of the flavor houses. The cool thing about them is you can see the ratings and read people's comments. I picked the flavors that I was looking for based on the highest numbers of raters and stars and it seems to have worked out. Don't know if they ship to Canada. I know it is sometimes hard to get stuff up there with customs etc. Another good link is wizardlabs.com they have good prices and mostly TFA (The Flavor Apprentice) they're out of Fl. Have fun, I know I am.
Oh, somewhere on this site (and ecigexpress too) is a link to recipes for you to look at. This one sounds just like what you're looking for "Peaches Pom and Cream" its great, sweet and fruity. Enjoy

CampbellMC

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2014
NS, Canada
Alright I will dive deeper into there, I can use the ratings off the USA sites which have more traffic to narrow down my choices and there is no problem getting flavorings in Canada, many places carry them, all for good prices. I have already started to go through some recipes, and they are making my mouth water... so many flavors I want, but I need to get a solid base to start out with and then expand from there. I found a good supplier for the PG/VG (essential depot), can get the nicotine (although a bit more costly in Canada, but I will be vaping low strength anyways) and all the flavors and bottles/syringes. Plan on starting out working on a Strawberries and Cream recipe which I saw on here, tune it to my liking, make a bigger batch and start experimenting with other flavors. Eventually I want to make a Raspberry Lemonade, but I have heard it is a tricky one to get tuned properly, and most recipes I have seen require 7+ flavors.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
hello and welcome
I highly suggest you go and download eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator
it's a diy calculator...plug in what nic base you have and what flavors you want and you want your ending juice nic and pg/vg to be and it does all the math....it takes a bit of getting used to but it really is fairly easy (just don't forget to account for that your nic base contains pg or vg ;) )
and it comes with a lot of recipes already and you can add your own for your records :D

the cheapest pg and vg i have found are from Bulk Apothecary 8lbs roughly equals 1 gallion
1 gal of pg = $19.95
1 gal of vg = $13.65

soupy1970

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
United States
hello and welcome
I highly suggest you go and download eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator
it's a diy calculator...plug in what nic base you have and what flavors you want and you want your ending juice nic and pg/vg to be and it does all the math....it takes a bit of getting used to but it really is fairly easy (just don't forget to account for that your nic base contains pg or vg ;) )
and it comes with a lot of recipes already and you can add your own for your records :D

the cheapest pg and vg i have found are from Bulk Apothecary 8lbs roughly equals 1 gallion
1 gal of pg = $19.95
1 gal of vg = $13.65

What is the purity % of this PG & VG? The website is very vague as to the quality of this product. I do like the price.

soupy1970

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
United States
^ yeah but it's $25 with the shipping. Would be better getting from essential depot, tried and true and %100 pure.
A gallon is 3785.41ml = 126.18 thirty mill bottles. Vape a 30ml a week and it would last longer than the 2 year expiration. I guess you can make soap and stuff though with the remainder.

I'm new to DIY, just getting supplies in now for starting. I went with Wizard Labs PG and VG. Is this good stuff? I got my Nic base at ecigexpress. I did buy a gallon of the VG and PG, but I have my wife, mother, and two children that I supply juice for. I paid 26.99 for the VG and $33.99 for the PG with free shipping after I loaded up on flavors. This will be much cheaper than buying a bunch of 120ml and 240ml bottles of pre made liquid from vendors. I didn't really quit smoking to save money though.

oldcaptainrusty

Verified Member
Oct 9, 2014
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Let me add to all the good advice posted already by telling the mistakes I made when I started DIYing. I picked some flavors and ordered them along with the PG, VG and nic. When I finally sat down and worked out my recipes I realized I had not ordered enough VG to complete the first few recipes. In other words I didn't do all my homework before I ordered. It cost me more for my shipping that second go around. I also ordered minimum amounts not knowing if I would continue with the DIYing. It turned out to be easy and enjoyable so now I am ordering the bulk amounts when I can. Hope this will help.:):vapor:

BigCap

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2014
Earth
I'm new to DIY, just getting supplies in now for starting. I went with Wizard Labs PG and VG. Is this good stuff? I got my Nic base at ecigexpress. I did buy a gallon of the VG and PG, but I have my wife, mother, and two children that I supply juice for. I paid 26.99 for the VG and $33.99 for the PG with free shipping after I loaded up on flavors. This will be much cheaper than buying a bunch of 120ml and 240ml bottles of pre made liquid from vendors. I didn't really quit smoking to save money though.

I just wanted to say thank you, my thread is closed because they think I am trying to stir up drama. They could see from my previous posts that I am not that type of person. I am so glad to know that someone else is in the same boat, or was in the same boat as myself. It's tough to live with this, and work, and take care of my family with this crippling disability that not many people can understand. Thank you again for speaking up for me.

soupy1970

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
United States
I just wanted to say thank you, my thread is closed because they think I am trying to stir up drama. They could see from my previous posts that I am not that type of person. I am so glad to know that someone else is in the same boat, or was in the same boat as myself. It's tough to live with this, and work, and take care of my family with this crippling disability that not many people can understand. Thank you again for speaking up for me.

No problem, and you are welcome. I do know what you are referring too, but in the future you can always use the private message (PM) feature to contact someone. That might be a better way as to not confuse others reading a particular thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread