The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Flavour allergy?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Tomas_Cobain, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tomas_Cobain

Tomas_Cobain Full Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Hello guys how are you? Here is Tomás from argentina and i am new in vaping and i was having a problem, the vape is giving me problem for breathe, asthma, short breath, and i buy three diferents juices with strawberry and the three gives me asthma, later i bought pg and vg, and a flavour of capella "sweet strawberry" and happend the same, it gives me asthma, anyone knows if this components of the flavour can give me allergy for my lungs? ty to all

this is capella
    ETHYL ACETATE NAT NOP ETHYL BUTYRATE

do you know another ingredient that can give me allergy? thanks to all who reads me ty.
    and sorry for me english.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. United States

United States Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    Your English is fine but the ingredients you cite looks like you're vaping shampoo or toothpaste.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    People can be allergic to all different sorts of things. Common ones are PG and nickel, but you never know. Really high nic levels can produce Asthma like symptoms as well. Is it ONLY strawberry flavors that cause you problems?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. chellie

chellie Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Flavors can cause issues. I have problems with custard and vanilla flavors. Not all brands - just some - must be an ingredient.

Stop vaping it if it makes you feel bad --- can you vape other flavors with no problem?

It could very well be the capella. I know lots of folks use it to make e juice

Here's a sheet on the strawberry

https://www.capellaflavors.com/pub/media/sheets/sdsus/1382_SDS-US.pdf

Here's some threads to help you decide

Can you use Capella Flavor Drops For E-LIQUID
    Capella Flavor Drops

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi and welcome,
    Are you still smoking regular cigarettes and vaping?
    Have you been to a doctor who tested you for asthma and allergic sensitivity?
    How much nicotine is in your liquids?
    What device are you using? (battery and topper/tank)

If your lungs are sensitive to the vapor, do not inhale. Pull the vapour into your mouth and exhale using your nose.
    The nicotine is absorbed via your mucus membranes.

cheers
    I

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear about your problems. But it's impossible to get medical advice on a forum. My advice is if vaping is making you wheeze stop vaping. You should see your doctor about your wheezing and can discuss with them whether it's a sensitivity or allergy and how best to proceed.

Here's to you feeling better and have a happy new year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Vaperer

Vaperer Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 10, 2017
    I think flavors can cause certain ailments. Cherry gets me itchy all over my body. Most every other flavor is no problem. But yes you can be allergic to a flavor. I think

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cool_Breeze

Cool_Breeze Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    I used to have lots of sinus drainage down into my throat for the most part. I know that's not the same problem. The solution for me was to go flavorless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    So do I. How did going flavorless help you?

• Like Like x 1
  10. marianna

marianna Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Netherlands
    FYI: Propyleenglycol (PG) is used in asthma inhalers.
    So, if you get problems, use only PG-based e-liquids

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Welcome, Tomás
    This is a little unclear, so as others said, more info might help. You say new to vaping, then list the juices you've tried all caused this issue? So it may be vaping itself? Do you smoke, and are you using the vape to try to quit? Have you been okay vaping any juice?

And a long shot here - but did you start dating the girl in your avatar at the same time you started vaping? I just ask because I can see how she might have you a little short of breath. ;)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Cool_Breeze

Cool_Breeze Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    It pretty well stopped it from occuring...at least it is not the near constant it was.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Unless it turns out you’re allergic to it of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Interesting. I may have to try it. Thx :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. jdy

jdy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hi Tomás,
    First off, Welcome to ECF.
    Then as others have already said, we are not doctors and can only offer our personal experience. With that said, your shortness of breath and the reactions you feel are allergies. These are things I've experienced.

For the shortness of breath, I've lowered the watts starting out at like 20 W and gradually go up until the vape is good and there is no problems on the inhale.

I have had similar problems along with the sinus drainage congestion and also very itchy patches with a rash. Changing over to 90%VG 10%Distilled Water with no flavor stopped all the allergies. Once in a while I'll add a couple drops of flavor and it all starts up. Go back to no flavor and I'm fine, and really no flavor the VG is sweet and still has a very good taste. If you're buying your juice premade they should have a VG MAX with no flavor. Cutting back on the PG and flavor is the end goal here, give that a try.

You didn't say if the use of vaping is to help you to stop smoking, if you are not a previous smoker that may be part of the problem. It's far better to not start vaping if your not trying to quit smoking. If you are vaping to quit smoking don't give up there are so many ways you can fine tune the vaping experience to help and vaping is far better than smoking.
    Good Luck to you!
    Have a safe and happy new year

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cobramamba

Cobramamba Full Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Irvine, CA
    Dont be ashamed of the issues your experiencing. Maybe go to your store and try non strawberry flavors and possibly use a different device.

Best of luck. I highly encourage you to stop vaping the flavors that give you breathing issues.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Folks can have sensitivites to PG so that might not be the beet choice for the OP. It's also tough to think of what sort of gear would wick ok with PG only and not leak. I imagine there is, but I'm not familiar with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Tomas_Cobain

Tomas_Cobain Full Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Hahaha thanks, i quit smoking and no, i am dating her 2 years ago, (sorry for my english) i will vape only VG + 10% Destilated water and test what can be the problem that gives me asthma

• Like Like x 3
  19. marianna

marianna Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Netherlands
    @Tomas_Cobain
    I have got a PG-allergy and make my own liquids by using Vegetable Glycerin as base, diluted with 18% demineralised water, and add VG flavors.

• Like Like x 2
  20. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't do well with some flavors (vanillas and cinnamon come to mind) and also, l have a PG sensitivity I can't tolerate more than 10% in my vape or stuff gets weird.;

Sometimes these things take time to tease out.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.