ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
To give your Tail some Bite

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2014/03/e-cigarette-patent-wars

;)

Han Lik is Officially a Sell out :sneaky:

The e-cigarette business, then, will probably end up much like the smartphone industry (whose miniature-battery technology helped make modern e-cigarettes possible): awash in patent-related lawsuits and counter-lawsuits. Taken together with restrictive and ill-conceived e-cigarette regulations proposed on both sides of the Atlantic, all this may slow growth and innovation in an industry that could greatly reduce the number of smoking-related deaths worldwide. Not exactly a win for anyone involved.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
Good link. Kinda like trying to patent the round rolling object that rides on a axle.
Once the cat is out of the bag.......................Its anybody's cat, LOL.

The point I was trying to make is that if these big companies could not find a way to legally make e-cigarettes without paying Fontem Ventures then, much as people on this board might not like it, no one can make a mod or other wise without permission from FV.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The point I was trying to make is that if these big companies could not find a way to legally make e-cigarettes without paying Fontem Ventures then, much as people on this board might not like it, no one can make a mod or other wise without permission from FV.

Doubtful. If you look at the companies involved, they're all doing cigalikes. It's pretty hard to come up with innovation when you're limited to the specific form factor that big tobacco is pushing out.

It would be a stretch to apply the patent technology that is being currently fought in the courts to the higher end mods that are in existence today. The electronics and design are totally different than what you find in the cigalike.

Reactions: VHRB2014

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I don't see how you're drawing this conclusion from the article. One lawsuit was won by Ruyan; all the other litigation appears to be pending:
"A number of the companies sued by Fontem hold their own patents, as do Altria, Reynolds and BAT (which holds a 42% stake in Reynolds). Indeed, the two American giants may yet be targeted by Fontem’s current lawsuits, which name five potential “Doe” defendants—unnamed firms it might subsequently add to its complaints. If that happens, expect them to respond in kind—as will Lorillard and several other existing named defendants. Imperial’s move may also encourage other holders of basic e-cigarette patents, such as Britain’s Gamucci, to assert their intellectual-property rights too."
If you've read anything on patent assertion in the tech industry, these cases are going to take years to resolve given the size of the corporations involved and the determinations of whether the intellectual property patented can actually be claimed as "original". Courts are getting somewhat tired of cases like this, when someone tries to patent a re-invention of the wheel.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Not at all.
A mechanical mod is a flashlight by design, 100%.
It's modified to accept a 510, and the design is over 100 years old.
Even if I use a wrench for a hammer, it's still a wrench.
No one can get a utility patent on a mechanical tube mod.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Ya this is just lawyers doing what they do, and seeing what they can get. Fact is the mech tech is so simple, forgetaboutit. A decent machinist can make his own at his leisure. Even the regulated tech we have now has been out long enough anyone with just a little capital could make a tweak and be up and running in there garage for very little.

And if I`m reading CRX`s article correctly there are at least two more potential patent holders that could make even more work and money for said lawyers. This is like piranha eating there own. Or kids fighting over the favorite meal entree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Ya this is just lawyers doing what they do, and seeing what they can get. Fact is the mech tech is so simple, forgetaboutit. A decent machinist can make his own at his leisure. Even the regulated tech we have now has been out long enough anyone with just a little capital could make a tweak and be up and running in there garage for very little.

And if I`m reading CRX`s article correctly there are at least two more potential patent holders that could make even more work and money for said lawyers. This is like piranha eating there own. Or kids fighting over the favorite meal entree.

It's vultures fighting over scraps.

Settlement terms are not disclosed.
It could a little as a few thousand dollars or a few pennies on future sales, or no even cash at all.

Settlements only happen when both parties know there's a real chance they can lose in court.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Han Lik was Ruyan.
They won patent lawsuits.

Then they became Dragonite.
They also won lawsuits.

I bought their stock on the Hang Seng market for this very reason.

Imperial Tobacco bought Dragonite for this very reason.
At this point I made a little money on Dragonite and sold right after.

Now Imperial Tobacco is winning those lawsuits.
There's your history lesson for today.
:)

I won't comment on what the future holds.

Last edited:

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
It's vultures fighting over scraps.

Settlement terms are not disclosed.
It could a little as a few thousand dollars or a few pennies on future sales, or no even cash at all.

Settlements only happen when both parties know there's a real chance they can lose in court.

On yahoo financial there is an SEC 8-K filing that shows Vapor Corp paid $1.7 million to Fontem Ventures. (Filed January 15, 2016)
That is a big price to pay for something many think is easy to beat.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
On yahoo financial there is an SEC 8-K filing that shows Vapor Corp paid $1.7 million to Fontem Ventures. (Filed January 15, 2016)
That is a big price to pay for something many think is easy to beat.

I did not say easy to beat.
Those are your words, and are far from what I posted.

I said settlements only happen when both parties know they have a real chance of losing.
Otherwise they would just go to court and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread