Travel and Vaping For Those Who Worry About Airport Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
I flew out of Milwaukee today. My computer case was stopped by TSA for inspection. (I have more electronics in my case than Best buy.)

The guy picked up my nicostick first, and asked "what's this?' I said it was my e-cig. He said "Oh, I never saw one like this before" I explained to him that it was a home built unit. He told me OK, but he had to swab it. He swabbed my Protege too, and I was on my way to my flight.

So, bottom line to the "worried" traveling vapers, They're OK, and the e-juice does not have an effect on the explosives tests.

crand

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Jim
Looks like you travel a lot, as do I, typically anywhere between 2 to 6 flights per week. So, doing a little math in my head I've had 60+ trips through airport security since beginning to vape and I've never been stopped, questioned, nothing. I don't hide my ecigs or mix them with other electronics. I usually carry my protege or sometimes the 2 piece KR8 in the front pocket of my suitcase.

hyperdeficit

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Lucas, Texas
Jim
Looks like you travel a lot, as do I, typically anywhere between 2 to 6 flights per week. So, doing a little math in my head I've had 60+ trips through airport security since beginning to vape and I've never been stopped, questioned, nothing. I don't hide my ecigs or mix them with other electronics. I usually carry my protege or sometimes the 2 piece KR8 in the front pocket of my suitcase.
I want a suitcase! lol. anyways yeah I have gone on 8 plane trips in the last 3 months and have had no issue whatsoever. i just put the eliquid in a little gallon baggie and no problem

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
Thank you so much for the assurance that the airport security guys will be understanding of our hobby.

Concerned that I would have to do too much explaining, I was going to bring a stock 901 with me when I fly to New York next week but now I'll proudly carry the new battery mod I just finished.

gun.jpg

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Hawaii to NY??? That's gonna be a loooong flight. Keep in mind that most airlines have the e-cig on their prohibited flight use list. You can take them aboard, but they won't let you vape during the flight.

I just go to the lav once in a while, sit down, and take a few puffs. Be sure to blow the vapor downward toward the floor. The smoke alarms won't catch the vapor, as long as you keep it away from them. I would recommend a low vapor juice for this purpose. With a low vapor juice, you can get a hit or two in your seat during a night time flight. Lights off, blow the vapor down, and no one will see it. If your e-cig has an LED, be sure to cover it up.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
Thank you so much for the assurance that the airport security guys will be understanding of our hobby.

Concerned that I would have to do too much explaining, I was going to bring a stock 901 with me when I fly to New York next week but now I'll proudly carry the new battery mod I just finished.

gun.jpg

Understanding? Hell the ecig is how I stopped smoking. By the way I am one of the TSA employees that were eluded to by Jim. I work in Orlando International so if you are going through there feel free to send me a message and Ill meet up with you. I cant take you through security but Ill vape with you if I can.

DinosaurVapor

Moved On
Nov 11, 2009
Spokane, WA
Hawaii to NY??? That's gonna be a loooong flight. Keep in mind that most airlines have the e-cig on their prohibited flight use list. You can take them aboard, but they won't let you vape during the flight.

I just go to the lav once in a while, sit down, and take a few puffs. Be sure to blow the vapor downward toward the floor. The smoke alarms won't catch the vapor, as long as you keep it away from them. I would recommend a low vapor juice for this purpose. With a low vapor juice, you can get a hit or two in your seat during a night time flight. Lights off, blow the vapor down, and no one will see it. If your e-cig has an LED, be sure to cover it up.

interesting, i bought my e cig almost two weeks ago, and ive flown 4 times since then. Everytime, i ask the people around me and explain, as well as the flight attendent, and I have never had a problem, everyone is cool with it, some are even excited about it and one guy paid me $5 to use my extra during the flight!

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
interesting, i bought my e cig almost two weeks ago, and ive flown 4 times since then. Everytime, i ask the people around me and explain, as well as the flight attendent, and I have never had a problem, everyone is cool with it, some are even excited about it and one guy paid me $5 to use my extra during the flight!

You didn't mention what Airline you flew on. The FAA has not banned e-cigs. They left it up to the flight crews to decide if you could use it or not. Looks like you got a tolerant flight crew.

FYI - Southwest - Continental - American Airlines - United - US Air, have the e-cig listed as a prohibited, in flight electronic device. It's in their "in flight" magazine.

Last edited:

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
I feel I should say that though the pilot does have final say I wouldn't confront a flight attendant by saying to check with the pilot because they will always side with a crew member over a passenger unless it involves safety issues. Though you may go crazy without the nic you wont be going crazy enough to hurt yourself or someone else so if you are told by a flight attendant not to use it I wouldn't take it any farther than that. This information comes from my 4 years working for an airline.

Bigbuyer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Florida, USA
I flew from Newark, NJ to Hong Kong, 2 weeks ago and put about 4 e-cigs in my briefcase and the TSA let it go right thru. But, when I flew inside China in Guangzhou they asked me if I had some pens in my case and I said yes and that was it. FYI, smoke in the bathroom if you are on Continental. In my case it did not set anything off.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I feel I should say that though the pilot does have final say I wouldn't confront a flight attendant by saying to check with the pilot because they will always side with a crew member over a passenger unless it involves safety issues. Though you may go crazy without the nic you wont be going crazy enough to hurt yourself or someone else so if you are told by a flight attendant not to use it I wouldn't take it any farther than that. This information comes from my 4 years working for an airline.

You're right 13. I didn't intend that statement to sound like that, but I can see how it can be taken in other ways. I edited it out of my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread