• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

formaldehyde in vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfaber11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
england
Been looking around the Web and it seems that if you vape at 3.3 volts on standard 2 ohm atomiser you will produce virtually no formaldehyde whereas if you vape at 5 volts you will be producing more than a conventional cigarette. I've decided to try and get used to vaping at 3.3 volts on on an 2 ohm atomiser . My preferred vape is 4.1 volts but as I understand it even this will produce a fair bit. It said that at 3.2 volts the e cig produces about 800 times less than a cigarette. Anybody worried by this.

pfaber11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
england
It's apparently produced when pg or vg reach a certain temperature. I've turned my mvp 2.0 right down to 3.3 volts and the wattage to 6 as to avoid the formaldehyde and there really isn't that much difference in the vape. I'm running a pro tank 2 mini with 1.9 ohm coils and even at the lower setting it really is an ok vape.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
It's apparently produced when pg or vg reach a certain temperature. I've turned my mvp 2.0 right down to 3.3 volts and the wattage to 6 as to avoid the formaldehyde and there really isn't that much difference in the vape. I'm running a pro tank 2 mini with 1.9 ohm coils and even at the lower setting it really is an ok vape.

It has nothing to do with VG or PG, its in regard to burning your wick to death, nothing more, nothing less.

Like mentioned above, nobody burns their coils and keeps inhaling....its silly, the study is utter madness.

kenbu

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Oregon
Good video to watch on what it is like to vape an atomizer used in these studies at 5V:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQQZDavmyw&spfreload=10

Interesting video. I'd like to see confirmation of the reported 600 degree Celsius temperature at which their test supposedly created all this formaldehyde. I'm not sure what metals go into typical tanks/coils/etc, but that is getting pretty close to the melting point of Aluminum of which I'd assume is used in some gear.

T4T3Z0R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Brevard, NC, USA
Interesting video. I'd like to see confirmation of the reported 600 degree Celsius temperature at which their test supposedly created all this formaldehyde. I'm not sure what metals go into typical tanks/coils/etc, but that is getting pretty close to the melting point of Aluminum of which I'd assume is used in some gear.

lol and again NOT FORMALDEHYDE. they did NOT MEASURE FOR FORMALDEHYDE. geeze we are almost as good at spreading misinformation as ANTZ. Clearly people are putting thier 2 cents in on a study they did not read...

T4T3Z0R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Brevard, NC, USA
http://......................./wp-content/uploads/2015/01/e-cigarette-formaldehyde-content.jpg

Click this link. the info from this study is on the far right. notice the chemical compound at the top they are measuring? though it may contain formaldehyde, it is very different. in some cases this chemical has been known to degrade into its active components, however there is no evidence of the required catalyst being present in a vaping situation. formaldehyde hemiacetal has not been greatly studied in regards to health, but currently is NOT A KNOWN HEALTH RISK

kenbu

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Oregon
lol and again NOT FORMALDEHYDE. they did NOT MEASURE FOR FORMALDEHYDE. geeze we are almost as good at spreading misinformation as ANTZ. Clearly people are putting thier 2 cents in on a study they did not read...

Oh I'm sure you COULD find any number of horrifying chemicals released in extreme situations, like tossing your entire unit into blast furnace, a volcano, or placing it gently on the surface of the sun. Not saying that has any bearing on what we put in our lungs everyday. I do like to follow any and all vaping health "studies" to see if there is any merit, after all, I don't want to quit one bad habit to find out 5 years from now I'm dying from something else.

I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as smoking. I'm not so convinced is completely harmless.

T4T3Z0R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Brevard, NC, USA
Oh I'm sure you COULD find any number of horrifying chemicals released in extreme situations, like tossing your entire unit into blast furnace, a volcano, or placing it gently on the surface of the sun. Not saying that has any bearing on what we put in our lungs everyday. I do like to follow any and all vaping health "studies" to see if there is any merit, after all, I don't want to quit one bad habit to find out 5 years from now I'm dying from something else.

I'm pretty sure it's not as bad as smoking. I'm not so convinced is completely harmless.

thats just it. the study title was worded to scare people and we have been using the same wording for a while. they found no horrifying chemicals at all. they found one that they THINK MAY release nasty chemicals. basically their study said we measured for something we dont really know anything about but we are going to assume is bad because science. seems legit. i am not however trying to claim vaping is totally harmless

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL

I'm not aware of anyone vaping with pure Aluminum. Kanthal wire, which is commonly used for vaping, is an alloy of Iron, Chromium, and Aluminum, but it has a melting point of 1200 degrees Celsius. So melting the wire is not an issue (except maybe with a mechanical mod that shorts).

As to some comments above, the reason a dry hit produces potentially dangerous chemicals is because the atomizer goes above the temperature at which it only aerosolizes the e-liquid. At these higher temperatures, a process known as incomplete combustion occurs, which is a state where oxygen reacts with the e-liquid to produce nasty, noxious chemicals that are extremely unpleasant to inhale.

pfaber11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
england
Well I've read quite a bit on the Internet about this and personally I'm not sure if this form of formaldehyde is safe and i don't think the experts are either. As a result of this i am not going to stop vaping but will be running my mpv 2.0 at 3.3 volts from now on as the scientists who carried out this study say that no measurable amount of formaldehyde was detected on a 2 ohm coil at this voltage. Vape on

pfaber11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
england
Well I've been vaping on the 3.3 volts or 6 watts since I made my last post and seem to of got used to it and it's not a bad vape . I dripped for several years so probably had my fare share of formaldehyde already and don't want anymore . Anyway I get plenty enough vaper at 3.3 volts enough to satisfy me anyhow. Vape on.

T4T3Z0R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Brevard, NC, USA
no because there is more than voltage that goes into temperature. a ce5 at 6 volts will get WAY too hot. a mutation x at 6 volts is fine if wicked properly because of more air flow. if you have a bowl of soup and you blow lightly on it it cools off slowly. blow harder and it cools faster. the coil in the mutation x at 6 volts will be cooler. if your using a entry level clearomizer, 6 watts volts will be a good vape. but if your using a high end dripper, 6 watts is pretty disapointing and with 26 awg wire its barely getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread