Temp and Formaldehyde

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Hello Everyone
Im having a little trouble understanding what temp is too hot to vape at out of fear of creating formaldehyde( speeling?)
I have read the reports and the reports debinking the myths. They say if you keep it under 4volts your ok? My Drag at 75 watts with a .5 SS coil tastes best but the little volt meter on the screen says its going up to like 6 volts. The reports insisted that the chemical was produces from insanley high temps or from a dry hit.
Im just wondering if anyone knows what wattage would create this chemical in concerning quantitites ?

Thank you

Reactions: smacuser

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
From what I’ve read and seen on videos it appears that it’s best to stay under 450F but I wonder if that’s the same for all coil types. I agree with @bombastinator and recommend staying in tc. That’s the main reason I started using ss316l so I could control how hot the coil would get. And of course it’s really difficult to get a dry hit in tc which is great if you’re dripping and not paying attention lol!

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
Volts and temperature are not linear. My understanding is you want to stay under 450 deg. My suggestion since you are using SS anyway is to use TC
+1 go for Temp Control. You may need to buy a decent mod that can do Temp Control. Something like a Yihi or dna mod, or if you want something cheaper might take a look at something that runs Arctic Fox Mods. ie: Like the Wismec RX Gen3 Dual.

Formaldehyde is the reason I went with Temp Control and ditched my Voopoo Drag

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
As others have mentioned the guideline is stay at or below 450F. I say "guideline" because if you have a high % of PG in your juice you should probably be a bit lower (maybe 420-435F), and if you have at least 10% distilled water in your juice you can go a bit higher (460-475F). But even with max PG at 450F the aldehydes are going to be less that what is in regular smoke. I personally use 65PG/35VG and vape at 435F which might be just a tiny bit high but I still know it's safer than smoking.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
From what I’ve read and seen on videos it appears that it’s best to stay under 450F but I wonder if that’s the same for all coil types.

Yes it is the same for all coil types. The juice doesn't care what type of coil made it get too hot, it only matters that if it gets too hot it will start to break down.

Reactions: Fidola13

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello Everyone
Im having a little trouble understanding what temp is too hot to vape at out of fear of creating formaldehyde( speeling?)
I have read the reports and the reports debinking the myths. They say if you keep it under 4volts your ok? My Drag at 75 watts with a .5 SS coil tastes best but the little volt meter on the screen says its going up to like 6 volts. The reports insisted that the chemical was produces from insanley high temps or from a dry hit.
Im just wondering if anyone knows what wattage would create this chemical in concerning quantitites ?

Thank you
Does your mod do Temp control? What are you using mod/tank?

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Im ising the drag with the crwon III yes it has temp control.I am also vaping a 70/30 vg/pg juice.
If you have coils that are Stainless Steel you can use the TC mode, but you need to check to be sure. Did the coils come with the mod/tank? Or did you buy them separately?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Im ising the drag with the crwon III yes it has temp control.I am also vaping a 70/30 vg/pg juice.
Ok Just looked it up and re-read the first post

On the Drag look and pay attention to what the screen on the mod is telling you. Press the fire button 3 times very fast like you are turning it off but push only 3 times. You should see SS, if not scroll thru the menu by repeating the rapid fire button push. It will show a different mode each time. Then when you see SS stop. Then hit the fire button again 4 times rapid push to set the wattage(the W should blink) by using up or down buttons. When it is where you want it, stop and let it be for a couple of seconds. Then set the temp by just using the up down buttons. That is it....easy.

If you have questions, come back and ask or just let us know how it is going,,,,,

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ Hair

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
As others have mentioned the guideline is stay at or below 450F. I say "guideline" because if you have a high % of PG in your juice you should probably be a bit lower (maybe 420-435F), and if you have at least 10% distilled water in your juice you can go a bit higher (460-475F). But even with max PG at 450F the aldehydes are going to be less that what is in regular smoke. I personally use 65PG/35VG and vape at 435F which might be just a tiny bit high but I still know it's safer than smoking.
Even at a bit over 500F, where the onset of a burnt taste becomes detectable, the amount of formaldehyde in vapor is still only a fraction of that found in real cigarette smoke.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@JJ Hair – It is difficult to predict what temperature the coil is reaching by just wattage alone. Many devices have a Temperature Control mode that allows the device, based on the material of the coil, to predict the temperature of the coil as the coil’s resistance changes with heat. Just note that not all metals can be used in Temperature Control. If you have a Kanthal or Ni80 coil, you cannot use Temp Control.

The Voopoo Drag has a Temp Control mode for Stainless Steel 316 which you could use with your Unwell coil (only the SS coil). It may not be as accurate as other devices such as DNA based mods, but it is not bad. Personally I think it is on the low side in comparison to my DNA based mod - meaning if I set it to 420°F, it is probably less – I have no way of accurately measuring this so this is just my subjective analysis based on the coils I use. As always, YMMV. You set your wattage in TC mode which allows the device to use that amount of power to reach your desired temp. This can be more than what is usually used in just plain wattage mode for the device will adjust the output to try and keep the coil at said temperature. I believe, although not 100% certain, that the Drag limits this setting to 80 watts max. Just to note, before you setup Temp Control on your device, unscrew your atomizer and let it sit for a while to allow the coil to cool to room temperature. This is critical for the mod calculates TC based on the initial resistance of the coil at room temperature. When you screw your atomizer back on, select “New Coil” when prompted.

Also, according to the master minds over at Evolv (developers of the DNA boards), TC with drop in coils can be a bit finicky for there could be other unknown variances within the coil that could influence the board’s readings, such as other metals used.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Yes it is the same for all coil types. The juice doesn't care what type of coil made it get too hot, it only matters that if it gets too hot it will start to break down.

I see now. I was thinking about it wrong. I was thinking it was the wire that would give off toxic stuff at 450 not the juice. Now it makes sense. Thanks.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
@JJ Hair – It is difficult to predict what temperature the coil is reaching by just wattage alone. Many devices have a Temperature Control mode that allows the device, based on the material of the coil, to predict the temperature of the coil as the coil’s resistance changes with heat. Just note that not all metals can be used in Temperature Control. If you have a Kanthal or Ni80 coil, you cannot use Temp Control.

The Voopoo Drag has a Temp Control mode for Stainless Steel 316 which you could use with your Unwell coil (only the SS coil). It may not be as accurate as other devices such as DNA based mods, but it is not bad. Personally I think it is on the low side in comparison to my DNA based mod - meaning if I set it to 420°F, it is probably less – I have no way of accurately measuring this so this is just my subjective analysis based on the coils I use. As always, YMMV. You set your wattage in TC mode which allows the device to use that amount of power to reach your desired temp. This can be more than what is usually used in just plain wattage mode for the device will adjust the output to try and keep the coil at said temperature. I believe, although not 100% certain, that the Drag limits this setting to 80 watts max. Just to note, before you setup Temp Control on your device, unscrew your atomizer and let it sit for a while to allow the coil to cool to room temperature. This is critical for the mod calculates TC based on the initial resistance of the coil at room temperature. When you screw your atomizer back on, select “New Coil” when prompted.

Also, according to the master minds over at Evolv (developers of the DNA boards), TC with drop in coils can be a bit finicky for there could be other unknown variances within the coil that could influence the board’s readings, such as other metals used.
TC does top at 80w. When set to 450 and drag on it it is like taking in slighlty flavoured air. It is disapointing. When Im in wattage mode and i use around 65-70 watts I get a fullbokied flavourful vape and thats what i look for but the little voltage meter in the corner reaches like 6 volts but it only tastes ever so slightly burnrt if a chain vape a bit. When you say the reading seel to be on the lesser side do yoo think im safe vaping at 70 watts or so?

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
TC does top at 80w. When set to 450 and drag on it it is like taking in slighlty flavoured air. It is disapointing. When Im in wattage mode and i use around 65-70 watts I get a fullbokied flavourful vape and thats what i look for but the little voltage meter in the corner reaches like 6 volts but it only tastes ever so slightly burnrt if a chain vape a bit. When you say the reading seel to be on the lesser side do yoo think im safe vaping at 70 watts or so?
What gauge wire are you using? It may be too thin for that amount of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread