Temp and Formaldehyde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
TC does top at 80w. When set to 450 and drag on it it is like taking in slighlty flavoured air. It is disapointing. When Im in wattage mode and i use around 65-70 watts I get a fullbokied flavourful vape and thats what i look for but the little voltage meter in the corner reaches like 6 volts but it only tastes ever so slightly burnrt if a chain vape a bit. When you say the reading seel to be on the lesser side do yoo think im safe vaping at 70 watts or so?

Your device does not measure the actual temperature of the coil/juice. It makes a prediction based on known Temperature Coefficient values of the metal used for the coils. SS360 has a different coefficient value vs Titanium as an example. As your coil heats up, it’s resistance changes, so knowing the coefficient value of the metal the device can calculate an approximate temperature. That’s how TC works in a nut shell.

If your vape is warm, and not burnt tasting I would say 70 watts is safe. But as mentioned above, we can not use wattage and or voltage to accurately predict the temp. The voltage you are seeing is a factor of Ohms Law which is needed to achieve your desired power output. Could be calculated as such (voltage/resistance) X voltage = watts

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Im not sure im using .5 resistance uwell crown III COIL
Oh gotcha. You might be better off going with a lower resistance coil. I think .5 coils are designed for lower wattage. I could be wrong though I am not too familiar with sub ohm tanks. You may want to look up what coils are available for it.

Reactions: JJ Hair

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
in what form is it harmful?? in toothpaste? in make up? in sunscreen? in paint? in about 7000 other products? ;)

From wiki....

Titanium dioxide dust, when inhaled, has been classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as an IARC Group 2B carcinogen, meaning it is possibly carcinogenic to humans.

Titanium dioxide - Wikipedia

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
FWIW, Wattage in TC mode depends on the way you vape. A 10W vaper needs less wattage in TC mode than a 75W vaper. Air flow is the difference. The higher the wattage the more air flow you need to keep the coil cool and deliver the vape you like and that means you have to jack up the wattage to match your air flow through the atomizer.

If I were to vape at 75W in TC mode with my MTL atty I'd find the coil shutting down before I could take a hit. OTOH, a Subohm tank delivers so much air past the coil that it cools down quickly unless you crank the wattage.

Formaldehyde forms at higher temps. Match the wattage to the air flow and it's not a problem.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
FWIW, Wattage in TC mode depends on the way you vape. A 10W vaper needs less wattage in TC mode than a 75W vaper. Air flow is the difference. The higher the wattage the more air flow you need to keep the coil cool and deliver the vape you like and that means you have to jack up the wattage to match your air flow through the atomizer.

If I were to vape at 75W in TC mode with my MTL atty I'd find the coil shutting down before I could take a hit. OTOH, a Subohm tank delivers so much air past the coil that it cools down quickly unless you crank the wattage.

Formaldehyde forms at higher temps. Match the wattage to the air flow and it's not a problem.
So your saying with the air from my draw the vaper may not be getting as hot becasue the air is working against the heating system?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Even at a bit over 500F, where the onset of a burnt taste becomes detectable, the amount of formaldehyde in vapor is still only a fraction of that found in real cigarette smoke.

I have always disliked the phrase "only a fraction of". It's way too vague. I mean 99/100ths is "only a fraction of" but there really isn't much difference between that and "the same amount". Of course that phrase could also mean 1/100ths which is a huge difference.

I am in no way disagreeing with the overall meaning of your post. Just expressing my lack of enthusiasm for that phrase.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
TC does top at 80w. When set to 450 and drag on it it is like taking in slighlty flavoured air. It is disapointing. When Im in wattage mode and i use around 65-70 watts I get a fullbokied flavourful vape and thats what i look for but the little voltage meter in the corner reaches like 6 volts but it only tastes ever so slightly burnrt if a chain vape a bit. When you say the reading seel to be on the lesser side do yoo think im safe vaping at 70 watts or so?

If you set your mod to 450F and it doesn't let you actually reach 70W then that means when in wattage mode you are vaping ABOVE 450F. It's up to you whether or not that is in your comfort zone. What I would do is slowly turn up the temp setting until it "feels" and "tastes" like your normal vape at 70W. Once you get it to taste the same look at what the temp is and that is going to be pretty close to what temp you are hitting in wattage mode at 70W. Then decide if you really want to be vaping at that temp or not.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If you set your mod to 450F and it doesn't let you actually reach 70W then that means when in wattage mode you are vaping ABOVE 450F. It's up to you whether or not that is in your comfort zone. What I would do is slowly turn up the temp setting until it "feels" and "tastes" like your normal vape at 70W. Once you get it to taste the same look at what the temp is and that is going to be pretty close to what temp you are hitting in wattage mode at 70W. Then decide if you really want to be vaping at that temp or not.

The 80 watt limit as it is discussed here is a limitation of the Voopoo Drag. In TC, you cannot adjust the applied wattage beyond 80 watts. Why, have no idea – this is a design choice by Voopoo for a DNA device lets you apply what ever wattage the device is capable of. On the Drag you can reach that 80 watt cap in TC – how long it stays at 80 watts will be dependant of the coil used and what temp you have it set at.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The 80 watt limit as it is discussed here is a limitation of the Voopoo Drag. In TC, you cannot adjust the applied wattage beyond 80 watts. Why, have no idea – this is a design choice by Voopoo for a DNA device lets you apply what ever wattage the device is capable of. On the Drag you can reach that 80 watt cap in TC – how long it stays at 80 watts will be dependant of the coil used and what temp you have it set at.

Yes I am aware. What I said would not be possible if he normally vaped at 80W or more. Since he vapes at 70 normally, he can set the TC wattage to 80, and then slowly turn up the temp until it tastes like what he is used to and that will be a fairly good indicator of what temp he is at when he is using 70W non-TC.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Yes I am aware. What I said would not be possible if he normally vaped at 80W or more. Since he vapes at 70 normally, he can set the TC wattage to 80, and then slowly turn up the temp until it tastes like what he is used to and that will be a fairly good indicator of what temp he is at when he is using 70W non-TC.

That is assuming the accuracy of the TC within the Drag - which I subjectively feel is on the low side in comparison to a DNA device. Objectively, I do not have the means to prove this or to say how low. Few others also feel the Drag fires on the low side with TC. I have also found comments on the web that suspects the Uwell (not Unwell) coils to use a different metal for the legs – if this is fact it will also influence TC as well.

I interpreted the first part of your comment as if it never reaches 70w, then you are vaping above 450f in wattage. As I am sure you know, if the coil is at room temp, the mod will apply the full requested power.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So your saying with the air from my draw the vaper may not be getting as hot becasue the air is working against the heating system?

Could be. Sub Ohm attys can cool down a vape that would be insanely hot in a mouth to lung atty. If you can breathe freely through it, yes it could cool the vape WAY down.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I have always disliked the phrase "only a fraction of". It's way too vague. I mean 99/100ths is "only a fraction of" but there really isn't much difference between that and "the same amount". Of course that phrase could also mean 1/100ths which is a huge difference.

I am in no way disagreeing with the overall meaning of your post. Just expressing my lack of enthusiasm for that phrase.
Understood. I used that phrase as a deliberately imprecise way of saying "less than".

IIRC, at just over 500 degrees, where he says he can detect the onset of a burnt taste, Mike measured about 25% of the amount of formaldehyde that is commonly reported to be in tobacco smoke. But I don't think he ever tried measuring how much formaldehyde is in tobacco smoke using the same equipment and techniques he was using to measure it in vape. So while I'm pretty confident it's less ("a fraction"), I'm not really confident how much less. It might be 1/10, or it might be 1/2, and it may depend on the composition of the liquid.

Now keep in mind, this is at temperatures were one starts to notice a burnt taste. I do believe most people vape at temperatures lower than that, regardless whether they're using TC or not.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
and it may depend on the composition of the liquid.

It absolutely does depend on the composition of the liquid. PG breaks down at lower temps than VG, so the more VG the higher you can go. Adding distilled water to liquid will also raise the temp at which both PG and VG (as well as PEG) starts to break down. So a 90VG/10DW mixture can go quite a bit higher than a 50PG/50VG mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread