Please think about your thread title before posting it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
This brouhaha over the recent French magazine article has got me, and others here, thinking about what shows up in google searches and how we can help or hurt our cause by what we post here. Bill Godshall pointed out in another thread in the Media and General News forum:

And everybody, please stop posting new threads with titles like "Study finds e-cigarettes more hazardous than cigarettes" and "E-cigarettes cause cancer", as those titles of ECF threads (which are immediately picked up by searches) only help promote the views and policies of e-cigarette prohibitionists.
Also, please break your links to junk science and ANTZ propaganda articles, so the google counter won't see them. If you're not sure how to do that, check here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...g-links-junk-science-other-rubbish-posts.html

There are ways to word titles and to post links that make your point but don't feed the ANTZ. Let's be careful out there!

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I'm in two minds about this. I agree to a point that we should be hyper-aware of our thread titles and post content to make sure we are not harming the cause of vaping in general.

On the other hand, I think it's a positive thing that when people search those junk surveys, some of them lead here. That way people can see that we address these issues, that we are aware of the health implications of vaping and that we debunk the "facts" presented in those studies.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I agree with the OP on this. Having a thread that says "bogus french research lies about e-cigarets" is a much better title to use. Then when someone looks for e-cigarets, they will see that research can be bogus rather than accidentally promoting the lie with a forum topic. A searcher is going to go for the news article first in a case like that and get mis-information.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I'm in two minds about this. I agree to a point that we should be hyper-aware of our thread titles and post content to make sure we are not harming the cause of vaping in general.

On the other hand, I think it's a positive thing that when people search those junk surveys, some of them lead here. That way people can see that we address these issues, that we are aware of the health implications of vaping and that we debunk the "facts" presented in those studies.

You make a valid point, Aglet. If it were me and I thought I should quote a junk-science title, I'd be sure to include a negative word in the title, something like "[article title] full of junk science," or "More lies about e-cig in [article title]."

Of course, these are just my thoughts and suggestions...

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
A little OT but I'm mentioning it anyway: I just got done starting a thread & realized after I started it that I should have titled it differently (about a totally unrelated subject to what you're referring to though). Then immediately this thread showed up & I was thinking Sheesh did you really need to start a thread about it lol. I was humored.

Anyway, I see the point of watching the thread titles where this particular subject is concerned (harmful affects of ecigs, etc). But then I also don't think it's a terribly bad thing for a search of said topic to bring up our forum so readers can get a bit more information than what's currently being presented in the media.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
But then I also don't think it's a terribly bad thing for a search of said topic to bring up our forum so readers can get a bit more information than what's currently being presented in the media.
Ania's idea of calling BS and then including the title of the article would still do this without perpetuating the misinformation

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
Personally I think CASAA should be handling all the e- Propaganda.

I'd rather be assisting New Vapers and enjoying my Hobby than reading all the scare post anyway.

OMG!
DID YOU KNOW.........
I Heard...........
FDA might maybe kind of.....

You get my drift :2cool:

OMG!
No, I didn't know,
WOW, you heard that too?
Really? the FDA now?

Yikes... your drift is scaring me.. I'd better stock up on more Nic Juice! (I'm wondering if the nic labs are behind all this.. sort of like Obama is coming for your guns and ammo propaganda that drove up sales)

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Personally I think CASAA should be handling all the e- Propaganda.

I'd rather be assisting New Vapers and enjoying my Hobby than reading all the scare post anyway.

OMG!
DID YOU KNOW.........
I Heard...........
FDA might maybe kind of.....

You get my drift :2cool:

CASAA staff consists of 10 board members and 11 staff. All are volunteers; no one is paid by CASAA. Most (if not all) have day jobs and juggle the needs of CASAA with families and having to earn a living. Given that, I think they do a hell of a lot for us. The saying "We are CASAA" is the truth. WE handle the e-propaganda, which is why I (as one individual) think it's important for me to keep up with what's being said about ecigs and vapers in the media and in the blogosphere. Media coverage of ecigs forms public opinion about vaping and public opinion about vaping can go a long way to making or breaking us. And if we don't pay attention and react to, for instance, what the FDA is going to do in the coming months, the regulators are going to walk all over us and make it harder, if not impossible, for us to continue vaping. Same goes for legislation affecting ecigs at all levels of government.

I enjoy assisting new vapers too, and spend as much time doing so as I can. I don't enjoy reading scare posts either, but when I can follow a link to a junk article and spend a few minutes submitting a rebuttal comment, I consider it time well spent. I also find some scare posts quite informative and revealing of what vapers are thinking and what their beliefs are.

To each his own. There are many ECFers who don't follow the news and aren't concerned with possible regulations that may limit their vaping choices. That's their choice. I've made mine. Thanks goodness we are all free here to make any choices at all.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
To each his own. There are many ECFers who don't follow the news and aren't concerned with possible regulations that may limit their vaping choices. That's their choice. I've made mine. Thanks goodness we are all free here to make any choices at all.

Until THEY make that choice for us because to many people do not get involved and let THEM make decisions that affect all of us.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
CASAA staff consists of 10 board members and 11 staff.

Thanks, Ania. Just a small correction - CASAA doesn't have any "staff" at all. We have one amazing volunteer who handles the shipping of orders from our store and that is it. We have hired someone to help build our new site and we have a researcher who we have paid for creating our surveys. We also have volunteers who back us up as administrators for our Facebook group. The rest of our projects are done by the directors, sometimes with help from awesome CASAA volunteers - which is needed and greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Thanks, Ania. Just a small correction - CASAA doesn't have any "staff" at all. We have one amazing volunteer who handles the shipping of orders from our store and that is it. We have hired someone to help build our new site and we have a researcher who we have paid for creating our surveys. We also have volunteers who back us up as administrators for our Facebook group. The rest of our projects are done by the directors, sometimes with help from awesome CASAA volunteers - which is needed and greatly appreciated! :)

I stand corrected. It's early here; caffeine hasn't kicked in... :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread