RDA Freakshow Mini (Project Sub Ohm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe A

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Collingswood, NJ
Am I the only one excited for this. I love my copper full size Freakshow, and now a reduced chamber version for better flavor. It's appears from the description they also made a few other minor improvements. Just haven't seen anyone mention this yet.

Manufactured from 304 Stainless Steel
22mm in diameter
Incredibly short height (Measures at 17mm in Height)
Stealth delrin drip tip port alongside a dual finned top cap for maximal heat dissipation
Slotted post holes to account for wire and build variability
Allen keyed screws to minimize loosening
Airflow has been slimmed down yet widened to accommodate as much intake as possible
Single and Dual Coil Airflow configurations
Three gigantic outer airflow slots, and two gigantic inner airflow slots for maximum air delivery (All measures at 9mm x 3mm)
Two for dual and one for single coil configuration. Airflow Holes are Fully Adjustable!
Wick channels maximize the deep juice well space
Ultra deep juice well despite its small size (Measures at 5mm deep)
Negative posts are milled to the deck for rigidity and maximum electric conductivity
Silver Plated Copper Contact ensures top grade conductivity
Engraved with the now iconic Project Sub-Ohm™ Logo
100% Designed in the United States of America by Project Sub-Ohm™

Joe A

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Collingswood, NJ
I actually heard about it a few days ago, so ordered it this morning and it already shipped. Had to buy a 15 dollar drip tip to use the 10 dollar of coupon. I figured that's still a deal.

I'm curious what they did to the deck. It states deeper wick channels, which I always thought they could do with the original. Slotted post holes is a great addition to. I'll take some pics when it gets here.

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
Just ordered one of these today. I've been looking for a nice flavor RDA and this being a $30 authentic, I figured I'd give it a shot. I have high hopes. So far the best flavor I've gotten out of an RDA has been the Origen V2, but the vapor production is just meh. The Veritas was just .. OK. I've tried half a dozen builds on the veritas and it is just not giving the flavor I want. Great vapor but the flavor wasn't there for me. I have a Marquis that should be here tomorrow that I also have high hopes for. Between one of them I'm sure I will find one that I will like, but I love that the freakshow mini is only 14mm. Should look nice on my SMPL.

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
Neat idea... but not the greatest design wise.

Should have been a 2 post, centered coil magma styled post set up or a dual-holed positive center post. Coils would be properly centered over the bottom air channels without having on long and one short leg. Air channels leak like crazy (Personal use of standard-sized Freakshow) as juice will roll off coil/wick and straight out the bottom air channels. You have to be extremely careful with wick setup and dripping in the Freakshow and this has the same poor air channel placement.

I've been digging VaporDNA's "remixed" products lately but i'll take a long pass on this one and stick with my Derringer for a tiny RDA fix.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Neat idea... but not the greatest design wise.

Should have been a 2 post, centered coil magma styled post set up or a dual-holed positive center post. Coils would be properly centered over the bottom air channels without having on long and one short leg. Air channels leak like crazy (Personal use of standard-sized Freakshow) as juice will roll off coil/wick and straight out the bottom air channels. You have to be extremely careful with wick setup and dripping in the Freakshow and this has the same poor air channel placement.

I've been digging VaporDNA's "remixed" products lately but i'll take a long pass on this one and stick with my Derringer for a tiny RDA fix.

I agree on the stupid position of the airholes relative to the posts, and it isn't as if it is difficult to fix either, they just have to machine the air inlets at a slightly different position.
I did mention this to the company when the Freakshow first came out (along with suggesting that they add a third hole in the sleeve for single coil users) and I was told:
"Thanks for your suggestion, the first problems of the hole of post already solve, about the single coil one, will take it, thank you. And we will make some new authentic RDA and MOD in the future soon. Thank you again"

So, they took my idea for the single slot for single coil users and implemented it (they didn't even send me a free one to say thanks!), but the post to airhole alignment is still an issue.

The mini does look good, but they really need to sort out a few things before it is a 'must have'.

Plus I don't get how project sub ohm can say "100% Designed in the United States of America by Project Sub-Ohm™"

bkim1

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Just got my own Freakshow Mini in the mail today and ha e to say it's pretty nice. Haven't had any leaking yet, but I've only had it for a little while and have been pretty careful on how much I drip on it. One thing I was surprised about was I thought the top fins on the rda were removable like the full size but it's not. It's all just one piece for the top cap.

Other notes:
While the juice wells are deep it was a little difficult to fit my wick into the wells initially.

Also, the flavor is pretty good it seems comparable to my hobo rda with a 0.35ohm build.

Overall my first impressions are pretty positive right now. If anyone has any questions about it I'll try and answer best I can and I can also post some pictures later as well.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
This was my first thought when I saw it as I just got my first bottom feeder. Anybody have a link on exactly how to convert an RDA to BF?

I have my attys modified by ECF forum member/supplier Chowderhead72 (he also stocks some pre-modded attys). Of course, you can always DIY with patience, a steady hand, and a Dremel. If you have a drill press, even better. I have a drill press but I have neither the patience nor the time to mess with DIY BF attys. Keep in mind the FS Mini has a plated copper post. If you drill it out you'll be pulling your juice through exposed copper. Whether that matters to you or not, I don't know.

Here is Chowderhead's supplier thread, come join the party!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-supplier-forum/581604-catfish-atty-mods.html

bkim1

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Bkim1, can you compare the flavor vs other RDAs? I bought the freakshow mini hoping for some pretty killer flavor. Is it just ok?

For me the flavor is definitely up there. Although I haven't tried that many different rdas, my reference point for good flavor comes from my hobo v2.1. The freak show compared to it has a little better flavor, but just not as hot of a vape as the hobo is. Sorry if that comparison doesn't help you, but the flavor on the freakshow is overall pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I've been eye balling this since it came out. I kinda what it, but just spent to much on gear recently already. I do love the project subohm stuff, mostly to get rid of the original logo on things (since a lot of the original logos suck). I got a project subohm doge atty, works pretty nice.

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread