RDA Freakshow Mini (Project Sub Ohm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSS89

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
Charlestown, RI, USA
just got mine today a day early. it vapes great. almost too much flavor for some juices imho lol. lil hard to get coils centered but not impossible. and as far as leaking; just dont put coils directly over airflow. put them a bout 1/2-2/3 over the airflow closer to the posts. this gets your wick off of the upper deck near the air intake and should reduce leaking. havent taken it on the go yet tho as just got it tonight. but whats up with these screws?? i wouldnt quite call them allen as they are close to circular. feel like they might strip easily. and the "allen key" they gave me for them fits crooked in the screws and only in one certain spot. at least on mine. pretty annoying. and on the bottom it says N39 where the serial number should be. did I really get #39 or are they continuing the numbering from the original FS or something?

Uncle00Jesse

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2014
NY
Got mine, it says N67 on the bottom so I guess that is the serial. Seems rather limited which is cool. I agree it's pretty tough to build and center the coil. I really hate hex screws on rba's but it's not a huge deal. One thing to be aware of is to lay the coil as low to the deck over the air hole as possible without touching. My first build I had it sitting level to the post eyelids and the whole piece including my drip tip got really hot. Keep in mind this thing is tiny so building can be finicky. I haven't put a perfect build on it yet, still working out the kinks, but I can attest to the excellent flavor from what I've experienced so far.

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
Got mine, it says N67 on the bottom so I guess that is the serial. Seems rather limited which is cool. I agree it's pretty tough to build and center the coil. I really hate hex screws on rba's but it's not a huge deal. One thing to be aware of is to lay the coil as low to the deck over the air hole as possible without touching. My first build I had it sitting level to the post eyelids and the whole piece including my drip tip got really hot. Keep in mind this thing is tiny so building can be finicky. I haven't put a perfect build on it yet, still working out the kinks, but I can attest to the excellent flavor from what I've experienced so far.

I got mine today and I got N415. Odd. I thought maybe if I had waited a few minutes I would have gotten N420 but sounds like it might be random. I did contact VaporDNA and I don't think they will be making any more of these so it is probably limited. I think a lot of the project sub ohm stuff is, from what I've seen at least (most of it being sold out on VaporDNA). I didn't realize this was going to be made by Wotofo though, I'm not sure if it was this thread or not but someone was .....ing about Project Sub Ohm taking the idea of the Freakshow, but clearly that is not the case.

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
I may have to give this one a try. I love the original freakshow, with the exception of the leaking. No matter how many different ways I built it, I would leak like a faucet. Nothing more irritating than pulling your rda off and finding a bunch of premium juice on top of your box.

Make sure none of the wick is touching any part around the air hole, including the outside ring around the air hole - juice would just wick up and out the hole in that case.

Make sure none of the wick is touching any part around the air hole, including the outside ring around the air hole - juice would just wick up and out the hole in that case.

I'm going to give it another try when I get home from work tonight. I'm not the type to admit defeat and it bugs the hell out of me that I couldn't get it to function properly. I know others have built it and it doesn't leak.

I think my problem is building the coils out over the AF too far. I may have had some wicking touching the side of the AF closest to the center. Think I'll try building a little closer to the center so it moves the wick out away from the AF walls a little more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
I've never seen the original freakshow's drip well but I have heard complaints. The drip well on this mini is not bad at all. If anyone is interested I can take some hi-res pics this weekend and post them up.

Also mine had a good amount of machine oil on it, it was even still wet around the bottom insulator that surrounds the center pin screw. No burs or anything though, and the threads look really nice. I am definitely pleased with the build quality.

Anyone know what the scratch off sticker on the box is for?

Last edited:

Joe A

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Collingswood, NJ
Finally got around to building it tonight. AgentZen is right, good amount of machine oil, so I boiled it in some dawn. Built it the same as my current Freak show, 26g, 8 wraps, 1.5mm.

Pros: less leaking, deeper well, great flavor, great air flow, slotted post holes

Cons: the need to remove top cap to drip

I think the less leaking is due to a longer thinner air flow slot. And with a deeper well I don't over drip as much.

I really enjoy this one.

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
I just built mine as well... 4 times in a row actually till I think I got what I wanted in there. 24g, 5/4 wraps, 3.5mm. Not perfect but it is working for now. I haven't had any leaking at all but I've only been using it with this build for about an hour. I am loving the vapor though, and kicking flavor as well. I put my Marquis away for now.

Pros:
Really good vapor production
Really good flavor
Haven't had any leaking (yet)

Cons:
Can't close up all the holes, some part of the air holes will always be open. This is a con for me cause I like to close up my air holes if I am putting my vaporizer in my pocket.
I tried a build with 28g wires and the hex screw cut right through it while tightening down (they are shaped like an inverted dome, so there is an edge on the outside).

edit regarding leaking: I just checked my wicks and some are actually hanging slightly into the air holes so I don't know why it is not leaking, it definitely looks like it should be. I have to assume it is the thickness of this sugary 80% juice.

So I found the best way to not get juice in my mouth is make sure the coils are as close to the air holes as possible (and making sure it doesn't touch) to lower their height as much as possible. I can rip on it and don't get juice in my mouth. I also switched to a 3.0mm coil, 24g, 7 wraps, .3ohms. I cut the wicks really short and stick them in the pockets on the side. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
yeah my only con is im getting juice in the mouth. naturally when i overdrip but then even other times too. i got juice in my mouth when it was like the pull or two before a dry hit. weird

I think I figured out the trick my friend. I edited my thread above and added this:

So I found the best way to not get juice in my mouth is make sure the coils are as close to the air holes as possible (and making sure it doesn't touch) to lower their height as much as possible. I can rip on it and don't get juice in my mouth. I also switched to a 3.0mm coil, 24g, 7 wraps, .3ohms. I cut the wicks really short and stick them in the pockets on the side. Works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread