RDA Freakshow Mini (Project Sub Ohm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay333

Verified Member
Jun 15, 2014
LaGrange, GA, US
Anybody had any issues with shorting on your drip tip? I have tried 3 different drip tips on my Freakshow mini and with 2 of them if they get pushed in all the way I have some sort of short and get my lips burnt and an awful burnt hit. I really wish there was a way to use a drip top on this atty. If so it would probably be one of my favorites.

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
Got a chance to try one this past weekend finally. Will not be buying one.

I had my Derringer .4 dual 26g 2.5mm i.d. KGD build and Sig150w with me and friendly local guy had a FSmini .5 dual 26g 2-2.5mm i.d. some Japanese cotton, on some copper mech mod. He let me throw it on my Sig and i sampled both back and forth with the same house juice (... unreal good but that's another story) at various wattages... really disappointed in the FSmini. After the SilverPlay (my current fav RTA) i was super pumped for the FSmini but i'm glad i waited to try it first.

Findings (and this is all just my worthless opinions etc.)

Thing is absolutely the most leak prone atty i have ever seen! You MUST "paint" your wicks and cannot drip traditionally through the drip tip/drip tip hole or else 1 out of every 5 drops seems to hit a coil and roll off of it right out the bottom of the air hole and onto your mod/box. With the size of the deck and the size of the holes you need to really baby this thing. The holes force you to drop your wick tails back and this causes slower wicking in my experience as your not simply wicking juice a few mm up... but up and over adding to the distance.

So... the flavor is good... but not Derringer good. It REALLY reminds me of my magma with drilled air holes. This def has more air but the flavor and density is very "magma" which is good! The Derringer on the other hand is almost the same type of intense vape as you get from the IN'AX nano... a mini hybrid with the atomizer literally right between your lips inside the drip tip! It's direct vapor and flavor nothing else.

For me... if it wasn't for the horrid air flow design... id snag one. If it was an uber tiny top air inlet... bottom outlet design like some of the new RDAs... it would be MUCH better.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My fiancée bought me a Freakshow Mini as a random gift, what an awesome woman I have! I didn't like the Magma (not enough airflow) which I had bought to go on my black Vaporflask clone, so the black Freakshow Mini was a welcome surprise!

Threw a 26g 12 wrap 2.5mm id single coil in, and after bending the lower leg to allow the japanese cotton into the juice well I got it all set and juiced up with my max vg Espresso. 0.13ohm set to 420°F and 30w on my Waidea VF V3 and the Freakshow rips! I'm not used to running a dripper in single coil mode so it still feels weird having airflow on only one side, but I'm getting big clouds of very flavorful vapor. The temperature protection isn't kicking in at all unless my wick goes dry but instead hovering around 410°, so I think I've found the ideal range to run at for now. My 2puffs clone drip tips (Oso Style from FT) have no shorting issues, and so far I haven't gotten any leaking or spitting. I wish the top was two pieces so I could tell when my wick is getting dry, but I guess I just need to trust in the temperature protection.

Haven't tried dual coils yet, but if you're looking for an RDA to run in single coil mode with nickel you can't go wrong with the Freakshow Mini, it's way better than the Magma in my opinion.

-Treeburner

SevereDeceit

Mar 7, 2015
St. Louis
I have a green Freakshow Mini Project Sub Ohm and I really like it. Flavor is great and I have very little leakage on it. In my opinion it's made to run in dual coil mode. I also get less leakage when I use dual coils as well. When I apply my ejuice I go in a circle around the center post till I see it's saturated enough. Let your wicks do the work for you. Also you don't want to overdrip on this RDA. Keep your wicks towards the back and like one person mentioned not hanging off the airflow chamber. For the price the Freakshow Mini is awesome.

Reactions: DergBerg

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
This looks like a promising atty. It solves my two main problems with the FS which were A: its height and B: the logo. I'm already feeling guilty about the 4 vape mail packages I'm currently tracking on USPS otherwise I'd snatch one up in a hurry.

I got the carbon fiber Freakshow which solves the logo problem (I too did not like the huge skeleton logo on the regular Freakshow). The carbon fiber version does have "F R E A K S H O W" printed around the top of the removable heat sink (in a circle surrounding the drip tip hole), but it is small and barely noticeable. I actually like it.

The carbon fiber Freakshow also comes with three different heat sink top caps -- one stainless, one black, and one copper. This is a great idea, since it will make it look right at home on just about any mod.

All this for only five bucks more than the regular Freakshow, and it's still an authentic Wotofo product, not a clone, so it was a no-brainer for me. I would have bought the Freakshow Mini, but they moved to a single-piece top cap, where the sleeve and the heatsink are one combined unit. This means that you have to remove the entire top cap to redrip. I was spoiled by my first RDA with a two-piece top cap (the TOBH v2.5) and every RDA I buy must have the ability to refill without removing the entire top cap. Otherwise I would have bought the Freakshow Mini instead of the (full-size) carbon fiber Freakshow.

Despite the large difference in height, the chamber on the Freakshow Mini is not much smaller than the original. So I wouldn't expect much difference in flavor.

Overall, I think the Freakshow MIni is a great RDA that will sell well. It just wasn't the right choice for me.

Reactions: DergBerg

DergBerg

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
instagram.com
To be honest, I only remove the top cap to redrip when I am breaking in some brand new cotton. Otherwise, it's 15-18 drops down the 510 drip tip adapter and I'm good to go! I use plenty of cotton, for sure. I'm running my FSmini HOT right now at .13, but every bit of it has been holding up fine (built just over 2 weeks ago). I was really concerned about the delrin insulator used for the positive post, but it has not been an issue yet! However, I am EXTREMELY cautious while I am dry burning my coils because that is about as hot my coils ever get. Overall, coming from a Magma clone that I spent 6 months with, the Freakshow Mini gets a 9/10 in my book!!

Uncle00Jesse

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2014
NY
My mini had been shelved for a few weeks, wasn't really digging it at all. Said what the hell and decided to buy the new chuff cap for it. It is now my favorite atty that I have, and I have about 20. It completely changed the whole experience. Getting better flavor and of course more vapor. So much smoother that the regular 510 cap. It was way too small in there causing too much heat and it was drowing and killing the flavor. With this topper it's damn near perfect. Go out and get one, best $10 I've spent on vaping gear.

Uncle00Jesse

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2014
NY
VaporDNA and vapeaffliction have the chuffs in stock. The latter having all the colors.
Just pulled trigger on one today, but Madvapes was out of the chuff style tips.

Can I use one of my standard 510 tips, until I find one that I might like?

Any suggestions on one that works well without being too expensive?

Reactions: smacuser
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread