Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Lots of "correct" answers in this thread, but no one has given the "best" answer IMHO. The best answer would be to buy whatever flavor you want at 0 Nic, then buy some 100mg nic base. This not only allows you to hit any mg/ml you want, it should also be at a lower cost. Plus, this is a great first first step into DIY juice. You are going to be mixing anyway, so why not go this route?

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The fact that people have stepped down in nicotine concentration without a corresponding massive increase in total juice (nicotine) consumption says a lot about the "highly addictive" characteristic of this stuff.

As in, maybe it ain't as bad as they say it is.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Spreadsheets are how I calculate everything. In another life, a couple of decades ago, we built an accurate model/design tool for electric transformers in QuattroPro.

Here's a version that lets you put in proportions/parts:

I call your Quattro Pro and raise a Lotus 123.

Reactions: Vaperer

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Lots of "correct" answers in this thread, but no one has given the "best" answer IMHO. The best answer would be to buy whatever flavor you want at 0 Nic, then buy some 100mg nic base. This not only allows you to hit any mg/ml you want, it should also be at a lower cost. Plus, this is a great first first step into DIY juice. You are going to be mixing anyway, so why not go this route?
Two reasons I can think of:
  • Not everyone is comfortable using 100 mg base.
  • Doling out 100 mg base a wee bit at a time makes keeping it fresh something of a challenge. I realize some people actually prefer mildly oxidized nic, but I'm not one of them.
I'm not saying don't do it this way, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Lots of "correct" answers in this thread, but no one has given the "best" answer IMHO. The best answer would be to buy whatever flavor you want at 0 Nic, then buy some 100mg nic base. This not only allows you to hit any mg/ml you want, it should also be at a lower cost. Plus, this is a great first first step into DIY juice. You are going to be mixing anyway, so why not go this

I'm not qualified to mix I don't have a clue what I'm doing. And I'm actually quite lazy
  • Doling out 100 mg base a wee bit at a time makes keeping it fresh something of a challenge. I realize some people actually prefer mildly oxidized nic, but I'm not one of them.
Yeah that's the truth I wouldn't even attempt to do it myself. I would just end up wasting tons of money. And I am very very quite lazy. But I like being lazy.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

A couple of counter points.
  • The do sell lower level nic bases that will also work. So maybe get 24mg base if not comfortable with 100mg.
  • They do sell base in quite small quantities, so it can get used faster before too much oxidation occurs.
  • Storing in the fridge or freezer can slow down the oxidation rate.
For sure you can mix like flavors at different nic levels to get what you want, that totally works. It's just more expensive, less efficient and you could end up with unused juice because you run out of what to cut it with which adds to waste.

• Informative

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Yeah that's the truth I wouldn't even attempt to do it myself. I would just end up wasting tons of money. And I am very very quite lazy. But I like being lazy.

Mixing two juices is no less difficult (lazy) than mixing 1 juice and a base. Whichever way you choose is 100% your choice though. Just wanted to offer another option.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
He's buying premixed juice. Why would he want to buy 0 nic and add his own? Even if he was comfortable with 100mg, he's diluting a juice he likes by 10% just to get it to 10mg. Buying weaker bases just dilutes it more.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A couple of counter points.
  • The do sell lower level nic bases that will also work. So maybe get 24mg base if not comfortable with 100mg.
  • They do sell base in quite small quantities, so it can get used faster before too much oxidation occurs.
  • Storing in the fridge or freezer can slow down the oxidation rate.
For sure you can mix like flavors at different nic levels to get what you want, that totally works. It's just more expensive, less efficient and you could end up with unused juice because you run out of what to cut it with which adds to waste.
  • Using a lower concentration base such as 24mg also means using a lot more of it and diluting the original flavored juice more. That may or may not be a problem. I was diluting most vendor juice by 50% with unflavored before I went all DIY.
  • My wife doesn't approve of me keeping vape-stuff in "her" fridge, but I have my own freezer that I can use as I wish.
In the end, different people will prefer different methods and should use those that they feel most comfortable with.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Mixing two juices is no less difficult (lazy) than mixing 1 juice and a base. Whichever way you choose is 100% your choice though. Just wanted to offer another option.
I know that and I appreciate that but I'm a real dummy and I'm kind of scared to do it myself to be honest with you there's a little scare factor for me but thank you just the same

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Even if he was comfortable with 100mg, he's diluting a juice he likes by 10% just to get it to 10mg. Buying weaker bases just dilutes it more.

That is true, but since most flavors are only 10% - 20% of the total liquid, a 10% dilution of the total liquid translates to only a 1%-2% dilution of flavoring. You will not even notice that difference.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
That is true, but since most flavors are only 10% - 20% of the total liquid, a 10% dilution of the total liquid translates to only a 1%-2% dilution of flavoring. You will not even notice that difference.
All of my mixes are between 13 and 18% flavoring. Dilute my final product by 10%, I will absolutely know it. Change my nic level by .5 mg and I'd never know....but Rossum would. Any diy'er worth their salt knows small percentages are important .

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
OCbs0sx.gif

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Want me to figure up the exact ratio for you? I don't mind....it's really not a problem...
    Just give a shout. :D
    Welllll.....

I figure I could mix 8/9 of the 18 mg bottle with the 12 mg bottle and dump the last ninth into my coffee :confused:.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    @Rossum

Are you saying the math is not right? If so you would be wrong.

If you had 100ml of juice with 20% flavoring that would be 20ml of flavoring in that bottle. 20ml/100ml = 0.2 or 20% right? If you added 10% nic base you would now have 110ml but still 20ml of flavoring in the bottle. 20ml/110ml = 0.18 or 18% which is a 2% dilution of flavoring. My math is 100% correct.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Are you saying the math is not right? If so you would be wrong.

If you had 100ml of juice with 20% flavoring that would be 20ml of flavoring in that bottle. 20ml/100ml = 0.2 or 20% right? If you added 10% nic base you would now have 110ml but still 20ml of flavoring in the bottle. 20ml/110ml = 0.18 or 18% which is a 2% dilution of flavoring.
    Sure....but it equates to a 10% drop in flavor . Whatever percentage of unflavored liquid you add to a flavored liquid equals the same percentage of flavor loss.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread