Fruit/EM killing tastebuds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Last week I made a fruity recipe, 13% total (5 flavours + 0.6% EM).

Initially I thought it was great, but a little weak, so I continued to vape it for a few hours.
Then it started to taste less and less strong until I could not taste a thing. Obviously food etc still tasted fine (well, as fine as my cooking usually is), but even switching flavours did not bring my tastebuds around. Everything I vaped for the next 24-48 hrs tasted somewhere between bland and crap.

The juice was steeped for a few days (just fruit, no cream).
I have another stronger recipe steeping (minus the EM though) at the moment, but I am reluctant to vape it considering my taste being knocked out for a couple days last time.

I am hoping it is down to EM being the culprit as I usually don't use it at all in any of my mixes.

Does anyone else experience this effect from using EM? Or fruity vapes in general?

I will try the mix (minus EM) once I finish up vaping some other delicious mixes.

Variarie

Dec 26, 2015
Last week I made a fruity recipe, 13% total (5 flavours + 0.6% EM).

Initially I thought it was great, but a little weak, so I continued to vape it for a few hours.
Then it started to taste less and less strong until I could not taste a thing. Obviously food etc still tasted fine (well, as fine as my cooking usually is), but even switching flavours did not bring my tastebuds around. Everything I vaped for the next 24-48 hrs tasted somewhere between bland and crap.

The juice was steeped for a few days (just fruit, no cream).
I have another stronger recipe steeping (minus the EM though) at the moment, but I am reluctant to vape it considering my taste being knocked out for a couple days last time.

I am hoping it is down to EM being the culprit as I usually don't use it at all in any of my mixes.

Does anyone else experience this effect from using EM? Or fruity vapes in general?

I will try the mix (minus EM) once I finish up vaping some other delicious mixes.

In case of a taste block eat fresh pineapple. The acids and other ingredients in the pineapple will clean the tasting pallet. It works for me every time.
I can't tell you anything about EM blocking the taste because i have never mixed this separately into my liquids. But some flavours, like custard and some creams cause a taste block to me. Pinapple is my solution to the problem.
Hope this helps for the taste part of the problem.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Cheers for the cure suggestions :)
The pineapple solution is meant to be good for other things too...

I am really trying to get to the route of the problem though, so that I can stop it happening again. Prevention better than cure and all that.
Vaping the fruity mix was the first time in months (6 months maybe) that I have suffered with vaper's tongue, I think only the 2nd time since starting diy (about 14 months). I do remember getting it more frequently when vaping bought liquids, along with a lot more of the flavour blindness.
I still have not tried the mix without the EM (I have 'the fear'), but I will give it a go within the next few days and hopefully see if EM is the bain of my vaping experience.

I should also mix up some more unflavoured juice when I get some more nic (dodgy bottle cap on last batch = 90% lost).

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I keep a small bottle of unflavored with a few drops of menthol in it for vape tongue. It works wonders.
I should also mix up some more unflavoured juice when I get some more nic
If you don't normally vape unflavored, you can mix up some 0 nic and take a few puffs to cleanse your palate once in a while and save the nic for your regular juices. :thumb:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I keep a small bottle of unflavored with a few drops of menthol in it for vape tongue. It works wonders.

If you don't normally vape unflavored, you can mix up some 0 nic and take a few puffs to cleanse your palate once in a while and save the nic for your regular juices. :thumb:

Sounds like a plan to me, I will give that a go next time.

I did try the fruit mix without EM and it was not so bad in terms of muting, so I will continue not to use EM in any of my creations.

Cheers for the suggustions and happy new year to all!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
EM could very well be the issue. Some are more sensitive to it then others. The effects of EM are similure to let say magic mask which is used to mask the taste of a dominate flavor to allow it to blend in with other flavors. I'm a bit surprised that it happened at such a small amount . If you want to sweeten I would use a plain sweetener. EM is usually used to add thickness and body and not really great for adding sweetness. EM has its place such as with tobacco recipes but I think it's a poor choice to use it as a sweetening agent in fruits and sweets.

Also make sure it's not your hardware causing the issue. Overly sweet mixes tend to clog a coil and this will result in a reduction of taste that diminishes the longer it's used followed by an off or burnt taste. This can also cause taste bud burnout.

Last edited:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
EM could very well be the issue. Some are more sensitive to it then others. The effects of EM are similure to let say magic mask which is used to mask the taste of a dominate flavor to allow it to blend in with other flavors. I'm a bit surprised that it happened at such a small amount . If you want to sweeten I would use a plain sweetener. EM is usually used to add thickness and body and not really great for adding sweetness. EM has its place such as with tobacco recipes but I think it's a poor choice to use it as a sweetening agent in fruits and sweets.
Agree 100%. Good ole Sweetner and/or Tart & Sour are fantastic for fruits! I usually use EM for my tobaccos as well. Never really liked it in anything else.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree

Also make sure it's not your hardware causing the issue. Overly sweet mixes tend to clog a coil and this will result in a reduction of taste that diminishes the longer it's used followed by an off or burnt taste. This can also cause taste bud burnout.

I am pretty sure it isn't a coil (or hardware) problem, my coils are cleaner than my mind (by far). Fresh wicks and all that, only went through about 3ml or so of the juice, no build up or anything (I use spaced coils). The same build was all good before using the juice (flavours tasted normal etc with other juices and wick).

Yeah, I was trying to plump up the vape rather than sweeten, also to take the edge off potentially too tart a taste (mix has orange and mango in). I always find fruit vapes a bit lacking in body, a bit 'wishy washy', but I am trying to make at least one juice without a splash of cream in it.

I wIll mix up another batch and see what happens, I will post the recipe in a few days if it passes muster.

Thanks again for help and sharing of knowledge, it is always good to hear other people's take on things

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Maybe some Vape Wizard (MTS I think is the name?) might help. I thought I read it adds "body" or something. Though I could be completely wrong about that.

Saline solution has also been touted to give the vapor a "thickness" as well. Just the normal .9% sterile saline you get at the pharmacy in the wound care section or make your own which is what I do.

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Maybe some Vape Wizard (MTS I think is the name?) might help. I thought I read it adds "body" or something. Though I could be completely wrong about that.

Saline solution has also been touted to give the vapor a "thickness" as well. Just the normal .9% sterile saline you get at the pharmacy in the wound care section or make your own which is what I do.

There is something in me that wants to steer clear of all additives, not sure why, but I don't trust them. (I mean vape wizard, magic mask, malic acid, citric acid etc) I am trying to avoid using them.

But yeah, the saline is something to consider, I did make some a while back, but didn't really give it a fair trial. Maybe I will revisit with this mix...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread