Frustrated aspire user

Status
Not open for further replies.

G1974

Apr 22, 2019
Hmmm. If you are just refilling the tank, the remaining juice in the tank might be causing the burnt taste. Not all of the juice is vaporized and the remaining e-liquid in the tank may have contaminants that make it taste burnt. The sugars in e-liquid can carmalize (another name for burning). Adding fresh e-liquid to what remains in the tank will also become contaminated.

You might need to empty the tank with each refill. Empty your tanks and clean them prior to each coil change.
Thanks so much for the tip! Greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: Baditude

G1974

Apr 22, 2019
With all your help w/troubleshooting this, it seems that my original mod was the culprit, so when I put it on, what I thought was my sweet spot on a new one, well, it was too high. I've already learned more than I knew about mods and coils and wattage than I did over the last 3 years of vaping. Thanks so much for all your help, seems the mystery is solved (((hug)))

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Maybe another thing to consider aside from what's already been covered, is the juice ... have you changed what you usually vape? ... a high VG juice might not be optimal for a little 1.8 ohm Aspire coil as far as wicking and might especially make a difference at higher wattage.

The ONLY off the shelf coil I use is the Aspire 1.8 ohm coil. It's my FAVORITE store bought coil and I'm vaping 3 set ups with it right now today. I always vape at 3.8 volts, which depending on the mod, works out to right about around 8 watts. I vape non-flavored 50/50 PG/VG and coils last a good couple of weeks or so. My vape technique is restricted direct lung. My best set up is a Kabuki tank with the 1.8 coil, air wide open and a wide bore drip tip. At 8 watts, I get the amount of vapor I prefer and it is not too warm or harsh.

G1974

Apr 22, 2019
I haven't changed my juice mix...I do 50/50 and have from the get go. Flavors change sometimes but but not as of lately. (current addiction, frosted oatmeal cookie. Still trying to find a chocolate one that actually tastes like chocolate and not whatever that really is lol) I'm currently sitting at 8 watts and feeling really good about it (mod was the issue I was having)

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Agree with @Baditude. It didn't happen when I was using Nautilus, but on an rta one time I charred a wick, and for some reason, that time it really infected the RTA with the burnt flavor. Refilled & rebuilt 2x, had to dump all the juice, cussed a lot, and all was fine after a good cleaning with Dawn & hot water. I have no idea why that one time was so much worse than the others, but it was.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Over the years, my MTL vape has been with the Nautilus family of tanks.
I have two of the very first Nautilus mini that were sold here in the UK. At year 7 now, I had to replace the 510 pin and the top gasket twice.
I use the original 1.8 Ohm coil (not the Clapton nor the - chocked-- salt type) at 8.5 W power with PG dominant juice.
True classical old-school MTL as originally intended to replace smoking.

The coil life range from one week with dry flavourings, or two days with my preferred Hangsen - uber-edulcorated - juices.

Glad you find your solution. In seven years, I have replaced top and bottom gaskets, pin and insulator twice (eBay finds are espensive but are available immediately, or you can order from China for pennies).

Again, great tank, the truly TRUE MTL vape. The only drawback of the original Nautilus (dad and mini) is they suffer of flavour ghosting, because of the gaskets above. If you want to step up in quality, you need a genuine Kabuki, costing you thrice the money.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
asprire nautilus bvc replacement
Eleaf iStick 50
I owned an istick50 once but The microUSB2 port gave out on it after only a few weeks so I don’t know much about it. It did assist in my low opinion of microUSB2 in general. Iirc it’s a sealed battery voltage only VW device with no TC. It’s also quite old.
My guess (and it is no more than that) is that there is possibly some sort of too much power problem. There have been some other good ones though. Counterfeit coil cartridges struck me in particular as one, though iirc there were others as well.

How old is the mod?

Generally sealed battery devices are only good for around a year or so.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
My sil uses aspire K1 tanks, and the bvc coils for that had a bad run. I checked them myself, and they were authentic.

I’ve used those as well, and we both used to get a good three weeks out of them. Suddenly, the ones she got didn’t last a Day.

She knows how to prime, used the same juice as always, which I made, same eleaf 30w working just fine.

It could only be the coils. She got a few new boxes from fasttech and has no trouble with them.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My sil uses aspire K1 tanks, and the bvc coils for that had a bad run. I checked them myself, and they were authentic.

I’ve used those as well, and we both used to get a good three weeks out of them. Suddenly, the ones she got didn’t last a Day.

She knows how to prime, used the same juice as always, which I made, same eleaf 30w working just fine.

It could only be the coils. She got a few new boxes from fasttech and has no trouble with them.
Aspire and fasttech apparently may have had something of a disagreement a while back. According to the story (which is all I got, so I may be rumormongering) fasttech was selling BVC coils for below RRP and aspire used PayPal to shut down international sales through PayPal for aspire BVC coils. Not sure what came of it.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Bombastinator mentioned counterfeit coils. Hadn't thought about that. Been a year or two since I tried some. Everyone's experience is probably a little different. What I found with the counterfeit coils was a couple of boxes of them wouldn't even screw into the atomizer. Threads were off or mucked up in some way. Other counterfeit coils just didn't vape as well/smooth as authentic. They sure looked genuine but were counterfeit. If they were any good I might still use them. Heck who knows, rather than straight up counterfeit, maybe they're even made on the same line as authentic but are seconds/rejects ... who knows. Were every single one of them awful in some way? ... no, but enough were that I won't try them again and will stick with authentic. That's not to say that with authentic, I'll NEVER run into a bad coil ... it just doesn't happen often enough to be a concern.

• Agree
Reactions: G1974

G1974

Apr 22, 2019
I owned an istick50 once but The microUSB2 port gave out on it after only a few weeks so I don’t know much about it. It did assist in my low opinion of microUSB2 in general. Iirc it’s a sealed battery voltage only VW device with no TC. It’s also quite old.
My guess (and it is no more than that) is that there is possibly some sort of too much power problem. There have been some other good ones though. Counterfeit coil cartridges struck me in particular as one, though iirc there were others as well.

How old is the mod?

Generally sealed battery devices are only good for around a year or so.
Hi: Yeah it was over a year old. I grabbed my husbands and all is right with the world now....so far anyhow :) TY!!!

G1974

Apr 22, 2019

My hope is we found the culprit being the mod...I'll see how it does over the next couple days and if it continues, then I'll jump on the bad run of coils ship for sure (which is what I leaned towards to begin with but also learned some things that it could very well be the mod) Thanks for confirming that!

mark40511

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lexington KY
I still have a nautilus big and a nautilus mini - I think I have three (5) packs of the 1.8 Ohm coils. I always vaped around 11 watts with 50/50. The big Nautilus always, ALWAYS leaked through the air holes (2) of them. The mini never leaked, but it was so much harder to for the mini to wick. I can't imagine using heavy VG in a Nautilus mini tank, when I'm having to take primer puffs with 50/50 - and that's with menthol drops added probably making it even thinner.

I loved the nautilus vape but I don't like the way the tank is set up that you screw the atty in the bottom and that area where the atty screws in gets gross and black and I think it actually eventually makes its way into the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread