FDA FTC first to act

Status
Not open for further replies.

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
Do not forget about the FTC.

The FTC already has laws that prohibit tobacco advertising and when the FDA officially declares e-cigarettes to be tobacco products on August 8th all those laws will be applied to e-cigarettes and whereas the FDA sends warning letters the FTC issues fines, big ones.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Do not forget about the FTC.

The FTC already has laws that prohibit tobacco advertising and when the FDA officially declares e-cigarettes to be tobacco products on August 8th all those laws will be applied to e-cigarettes and whereas the FDA sends warning letters the FTC issues fines, big ones.
Have the rules been posted somewhere that the sellers can find? I can find local tobacco shops online, on facebook, etc. That's not going to change. Nobody in the US will be telling FastTech to shut down their web site.

What exactly will they ban? I haven't watched TV in years so I don't know what's happening there, and there's no such thing as magazines any more, right? Everything I know about vaping products I see online. Half the time I don't know if it's a US site or offshore. I think mostly it's offshore these days. This forum is probably sitting on a server in the UK.

If they start turning the screws will vapers be sheep or wolves?

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Rayon Wiki Page
"In early 2010, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission warned several retailers that six major manufacturers were falsely labeling rayon products as "bamboo", in order to appeal to environmentally conscious consumers. While rayon may be produced from bamboo as a raw material, and both rayon and bamboo may be used for similar fabrics, rayon is so far removed from bamboo by chemical processing that the two are entirely separate."

Would like to see the FTC apply the same logic to extracted nicotine.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Blu, Vuse, and Njoy have all done them in the past.
Hard liquor adds are not allowed on TV I believe. I wonder what the legal justification is. Was tobacco advertising banned by a civil agreement or by a law that regulates free speech on TV? Cigarettes packs have logos and branding printed on them. That's advertising. Obvously that's allowed. Freedom of speech comes into play at some point otherwise the government could control everything simply by asserting authority over speech.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Hard liquor adds are not allowed on TV I believe. I wonder what the legal justification is. Was tobacco advertising banned by a civil agreement or by a law that regulates free speech on TV? Cigarettes packs have logos and branding printed on them. That's advertising. Obvously that's allowed. Freedom of speech comes into play at some point otherwise the government could control everything simply by asserting authority over speech.
Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The government has always asserted some control over speech on radio and TV that uses the "public" airwaves under licenses granted by the FCC. E.g.:
Fairness Doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread