Fused Clapton Building Tips for a Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
Hi guys.

One of the reasons for joining some vaping forums for me was to get tips on beginning to learn how to make my own fused clapton wire. So my question to you all is, if there was one or two things that you wish someone had recommended to you before you tried claptoning your own wire for the first time, what would they be?

Further, if anyone can recommend wire in the UK, I'd love to hear it. I've tried pre-spooled fused clapton wire from Crazy Wire, and while it's ok, it just doesn't seem to have the longevity of some of the "fancier" pre-built coils using Twisted Messes, etc. wire.

All the best, Nathan

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
Wish I could answer your question, but I think you'll get a quicker response in one of the other forums....maybe ask a moderator to move your thread to either Coil Builds or Wick and Wire

Oops! Yeah, completely posted this in the wrong forum!! Thanks for pointing this out. Do you know which mod I should tag to have it moved?

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Moved this to Coil Builds from Tips and Tricks.

(when you need Staff to help with something the best way to get help is to use the Report feature - it goes to a Central Location where whoever is online can help )
In this case it would have been reporting the first post in the thread and requesting move :)

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
Moved this to Coil Builds from Tips and Tricks.

(when you need Staff to help with something the best way to get help is to use the Report feature - it goes to a Central Location where whoever is online can help )
In this case it would have been reporting the first post in the thread and requesting move :)

Thanks for moving this. Genuinely have no idea when it comes to forums!!

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
To offer advice-
- Watch some vids
- Patience
- Crazy Wire is who I order from - US citizen

I use dual 26AWG 316L wrappped in 34AWG 316L. I use this as a single coil 3mm-4wrap @ .16ohm at 45W. I make the strand, by hand, about 1' with a variable speed drill and a fishing swivel. There are gadgets to make it "easier", but pending how much you plan to make, YMMV.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
When first starting, using a larger diameter wrap wire (30-34g) makes things easier, but taxes the performance of the coil overall (slows ramp up and drains the battery faster). Try working your way to thinner wire as you get more comfortable with it. I settled on 40g wrap wire and get excellent results, quick ramp up, and they only use slightly more battery than simple round wire.

A drill and fishing swivels are a huge help, almost a must in my opinion. I ended up modifying an old sewing machine to replace the drill so I could have both hands free to focus on wrapping the wire.

Hold the wrap wire so it is coming in at a very shallow angle (closer to the side that is already wrapped). Just about 10º would be enough, too much and it will start wrapping backwards (reverse the drill and unwrap to remedy this). This slight angle will keep your wraps tight to each other and help eliminate gaps in the wrap wire.

Go slow until you get used to it. If you are going fast and something messes up, you have very little time to react before things can turn bad like snapping the wrap wire.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Check out these two channels

The Art of Vaping

Twisted Messes

A good variable speed drill and a bucket of patience are pre-requisites. I don't use a swivel myself but I understand it's really useful for multicore claptons. The Avidartisan Daedalus is a cool bit of kit, but it's quite expensive.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The maybe not so obvious thing to look for for a beginner would be wire tension, both the wire in the drill as well as the claptoning one. Your coil quality stands and falls with that (also really thin wire may break).
I'd suggest a swivel to fix the end not in the drill, doing it free in the air is possible but can really screw you up if you're just starting out (and also dictates a maximum length you can do at one time).
Focus on getting tension right and just do a few runs, focusing on being relaxed and not rushing it too much. Don't despair if your first runs aren't continuously good and only a few spots are properly claptoned, that'll come with experience.

• Agree
Reactions: Zaryk

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
To offer advice-
- Watch some vids
- Patience
- Crazy Wire is who I order from - US citizen

I use dual 26AWG 316L wrappped in 34AWG 316L. I use this as a single coil 3mm-4wrap @ .16ohm at 45W. I make the strand, by hand, about 1' with a variable speed drill and a fishing swivel. There are gadgets to make it "easier", but pending how much you plan to make, YMMV.

Patience should be fine. I'm kind of looking at it a bit like knitting (not that I know, maybe I should learn how at some point) where once you've got your technique down, it's pretty relaxing.

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
When first starting, using a larger diameter wrap wire (30-34g) makes things easier, but taxes the performance of the coil overall (slows ramp up and drains the battery faster). Try working your way to thinner wire as you get more comfortable with it. I settled on 40g wrap wire and get excellent results, quick ramp up, and they only use slightly more battery than simple round wire.

A drill and fishing swivels are a huge help, almost a must in my opinion. I ended up modifying an old sewing machine to replace the drill so I could have both hands free to focus on wrapping the wire.

Hold the wrap wire so it is coming in at a very shallow angle (closer to the side that is already wrapped). Just about 10º would be enough, too much and it will start wrapping backwards (reverse the drill and unwrap to remedy this). This slight angle will keep your wraps tight to each other and help eliminate gaps in the wrap wire.

Go slow until you get used to it. If you are going fast and something messes up, you have very little time to react before things can turn bad like snapping the wrap wire.

Thanks for this. I think I'm picturing what you're saying but just to clarify, which axis to you mean? From all the vids I've watched, I'm thinking that the wrapping wire needs to be slightly below parallel to the floor, and in relation to the core wires, if we call the drill 0º and the swivel 180º then the wrap wire should be around 75-80º. Does that make sense?

• Useful
Reactions: Cobra Kai

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
Check out these two channels

The Art of Vaping

Twisted Messes

A good variable speed drill and a bucket of patience are pre-requisites. I don't use a swivel myself but I understand it's really useful for multicore claptons. The Avidartisan Daedalus is a cool bit of kit, but it's quite expensive.

I've watched through both TM and Squidoode's channels (and M Terk and some of the stuff at Local Vapes' youtube) and really enjoy it. Only thing is that it feels like cheating, instead of just working it all out for myself :D

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
The maybe not so obvious thing to look for for a beginner would be wire tension, both the wire in the drill as well as the claptoning one. Your coil quality stands and falls with that (also really thin wire may break).
I'd suggest a swivel to fix the end not in the drill, doing it free in the air is possible but can really screw you up if you're just starting out (and also dictates a maximum length you can do at one time).
Focus on getting tension right and just do a few runs, focusing on being relaxed and not rushing it too much. Don't despair if your first runs aren't continuously good and only a few spots are properly claptoned, that'll come with experience.

Tension seems to be key. Someone else on another forum said the same thing, and also pointed out that it's easy to be overly paranoid and then end up putting too much tension into everything, also ending up with ....ty results.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I've checked the Daedalus out, and while super convenient, my gut says learn to do it with a more DIY setup, so once I've got fused claptons down, I can move onto more intricate wire, with confidence and solid fundamentals.
I understand what you're saying. I first started doing claptons by hand. Once I got the Daedalus I just set it and forget it. For me personally I have got to point where I just use either fused claptons or claptoned rectangle wire.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggy

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
I understand what you're saying. I first started doing claptons by hand. Once I got the Daedalus I just set it and forget it. For me personally I have got to point where I just use either fused claptons or claptoned rectangle wire.

That makes sense. I'll give it a go without for a while, and if it doesn't become the fascination that I anticipate it to be and I don't want to make more complex stuff than fused claptons I can always look at a Daedelus for just getting the job done. Plus, already have a drill and clamps, so buying a few swivels and attaching them to some scrap wood won't really add in terms of expense, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread