Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thanks for this. I think I'm picturing what you're saying but just to clarify, which axis to you mean? From all the vids I've watched, I'm thinking that the wrapping wire needs to be slightly below parallel to the floor, and in relation to the core wires, if we call the drill 0º and the swivel 180º then the wrap wire should be around 75-80º. Does that make sense?

Yeah, if the dill is 0º and swivels 180º you want to stay around 80º.

I found that having the wrap wire slightly below the core wires will give you the best view of what's going on, but it isn't vital. I would suggest finding the position that is comfortable for you and does not interfere with your view of the action.

I also use a spool tamer on my spools of wire (can be found at most places that sell DIY jewelry products, here is an amaon link to some https://www.amazon.com/Beadalon-3-Piece-Spool-Tamer-Set/dp/B00KAZ139M ) and run a pencil through the hole in the spool. It makes it more comfortable to hold, for me at least.

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
Yeah, if the dill is 0º and swivels 180º you want to stay around 80º.

I found that having the wrap wire slightly below the core wires will give you the best view of what's going on, but it isn't vital. I would suggest finding the position that is comfortable for you and does not interfere with your view of the action.

I also use a spool tamer on my spools of wire (can be found at most places that sell DIY jewelry products, here is an amaon link to some https://www.amazon.com/Beadalon-3-Piece-Spool-Tamer-Set/dp/B00KAZ139M ) and run a pencil through the hole in the spool. It makes it more comfortable to hold, for me at least.

Already got spool tamers, as I picked them up on my last wire purchase in anticipation of learning to build. Sod having a huge amount of really fine wire spring out everywhere! Thanks for the pencil tip - it's these sort of random little things that I'm really looking for. Really appreciate it!

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
+1 for the Daedalus, though I see what you mean about DIY; have a look at KZor on YouTube for winding with one. He does some good stuff. In case you're still looking, try Stealth Vape for wire. Never had a problem with them.

Thanks for your reply. KZor is the South African reviewer, right? I'll check him out.

Will contact Stealth Vape to see where they source their wire. That's all I'm really looking for, tbh. Just a reputable source for the metal used in vendor's wire.

In the mean time, I've got a small amount of practice wire coming from Crazy Wire. Just need this current run of 60+ hour weeks to end so I can get building!

nathanstokes

Oct 1, 2018
Well... you'll still be sort of in the EU long enough to order wire and not have some armed customs brigade kick in your door and yell "there he is, that's him!".

True, but some of my neighbors might kick my door in shouting "you haven't bought British! How dare you?!?! We did this to take back our freedoms" or something.

I jest, but without derailing this thread, the whole Brexit thing has just been a mess and I'm so ...... off about it.

• Love
Reactions: untar

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
+3 for the Daedalus. And it's only about $50US on Fasttech. It would be nice if they only sold the spool jig though, for cheaper. But the included drill is pretty nice, albeit slower. I've seen some other claptoning coil jigs, but they seem like a joke compared to the Daedalus.

It can actually be a good learning tool, too - if you want it to be. And just about as enjoyable as doing it 'by hand'. It can help teach a bit about wire tension and what will wrap decently. You can get as fancy as you want it to be... You could think of it sort of like the clothespin/clip technique as far as tools go.

For instance, I recently found it was hard to do a test length of a framed staple using two 2-round-wire-twisted-304(.2mm strands) for the frames and four .4mm*.1mm kanthal ribbon. I had a tough time with even 36-gauge wrapping wire. I found it best not to use the included 'wire beads' with this build. As far as flavor for this, it almost seems more muted than 4-core [.2mm 304] fused claptons... But there could also be some serious vaper's tongue going on here. It's possible that the heavy flavor increases of both rayon and fused-framed-staple-clapton combined are blowing my taste buds.

I also went and got some new replacement batteries for my regular drill, a suction vise (the included Daedalus one won't work for my desk), wood, swivels, etc - for if I ever get bored and want to do some 'manually'. Although for me, there are issues of eyesight, dexterity, pain, and muscle fatigue at play - so I would be limited on how long I can tolerate doing any in a more manual fashion.

BUT - another problem I didn't foresee, that I'm running into is how to coil these more massive suckers. The wire can end up being quite stiff, so my regular coiling tools aren't quite up to snuff for some of the more monstrous wire-builds. Anyone got a solution for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread