Not open for further replies.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Hello,

I had a good old search for this, but didn't find anything, which rather surprises me. I'm looking at getting some fuses for my mechs - two sigelei 8s, two smok Magnetos.

From what I've found, the disposables trip quicker, better protecting the battery and springs etc., and also trip at a higher and more consistent amperage, giving you a bit more head-room. I've also seen quite a few advertisements for resettables saying something to the effect of "We recommend you replace your fuse every X months".

I'm wondering whether they're just being over cautious, legally protecting themselves. I'm not expecting anyone to recommend using a product against manufacturer's specs, but does anyone have any actual indication of how long these things really last? I realise they can fail, like any electronics, if tripped - I'm talking more about degradation through 'normal use', assuming no trips. What happens when they fail? Presumably they must normally fail-safe, and simply stop allowing current through?

Do the disposables wear out in use if they aren't tripped? What about spares, just left on a shelf?

Cheers.

Last edited:

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
I have the vapesafe lite resetable fuse. When it trips it just stops the current from flowing to the atty and it resets itself when i take my finger off the button. Ive had it for probably 6 months and it doesnt seem to be degrading. A friend bought a single use fuse and he tripped it within 2 weeks and it was trash afterwards. I dont see how they could "wear out" but im sure you would have warning before any danger arises such as a hot button or mod.

The bottom of the fuse where it makes contact with the mod's button seems to be rubbing off a bit but it still works fine. I imagine if it is going to fail in the future, this will be the point of failure
008.jpg

I would also imagine that if it were going to fail, It wouldn't allow current through. So if it did die, I wouldn't be able to fire the mod with the fuse installed.

For the $10 i spent on the vapesafe lite it has probably saved my skin a few times seeing as i pushed it to the limits more than a few times. Hope this helps

Last edited:

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Thanks for the reply.

I ended up going for the Kamrys, which don't come with a specific warning to replace them every so often, but are cheap enough that I'll probably do it every year or two on principle.

I'm guessing they're all just 'PPTCs', which seem like a pretty standard electrical component.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

But I can't find any information on whether they generally fail-safe or otherwise...

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Thanks for the reply.

I ended up going for the Kamrys, which don't come with a specific warning to replace them every so often, but are cheap enough that I'll probably do it every year or two on principle.

I'm guessing they're all just 'PPTCs', which seem like a pretty standard electrical component.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

But I can't find any information on whether they generally fail-safe or otherwise...

That wiki article was good info. Thanks for that link. I am just guessing here but it seems to me that since it uses a crystalline polymer matrix to regulate the current, It would last longer than a purely mechanical relay switch. Hoping someone else has other info on these. Good thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread