Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
So I know there's no shortage of ideas and methods on how to build the GTUS but I thought I'd throw up a vid of how I've been doing it...I've been doing it this way since my first GTUS and it just works...in fact imo works awesomely ;)...keep in mind though it does require you mod it...this is by no means a criticism of the original design it's just how I roll :laugh:

GTUS build with Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick - YouTube

If you have any comments or ideas on how I do it let me know...I'm never done learning.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
LOL, signature guitar, that worked out cool eh?...always meant to change my name to Martin but could never afford one so meh...but ya, the cottage, modding, my wife's need to perpetually renovate the house, my stupid job...tough to find the time to sit an' pick some

btw, as per what I said about the eGo T tanks and this set up (I don't have the new style silicon caps, only the old hard plastic ones)...works fine, kinda cool actually...never though I'd use one of those again :facepalm:

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
So I know there's no shortage of ideas and methods on how to build the GTUS but I thought I'd throw up a vid of how I've been doing it...I've been doing it this way since my first GTUS and it just works...in fact imo works awesomely ;)...keep in mind though it does require you mod it...this is by no means a criticism of the original design it's just how I roll :laugh:

GTUS build with Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick - YouTube

If you have any comments or ideas on how I do it let me know...I'm never done learning.

Another nicely done video Quigs. So when opening the hole to 1/8" that also remove the nipple for the T-Tank. Nice to know that the T-Tank still works w/ just the wick to hold it in place. I 'spose the other advantage of not having the nipple - you can vape the tank dry (he he)

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Another nicely done video Quigs. So when opening the hole to 1/8" that also remove the nipple for the T-Tank. Nice to know that the T-Tank still works w/ just the wick to hold it in place. I 'spose the other advantage of not having the nipple - you can vape the tank dry (he he)

I was wondering what the nipple even did?...from what I can tell (which isn't to be relied on as this is the first time I've used the eGo T) it isn't going anywhere...even if you had the silicon caps, I have to say, the T tank thing gives a warmer vape and they are pretty user friendly...good thing, I'll be filling it A LOT if I keep using it :D

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Quigs..

The purpose of the nipple was to seal the T-tank for the narrower wick of the original design. With your jumbo wick =] it does not seem to be needed. I may go back to drilling out the center of mine as the one I sold I had done that and it worked great but I kept my wick solid. probably 35mm by 45 or 50mm. My current ones still do not work as good as the early one I had and drilled out. I am amazed that yours does not flood with that huge straw you call a wick =]... I will be trying the cotton rake method today. I will let you know how it turns out. If it works good I will have to figure out how to do it with an SGV3.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
A little story to pass the time...

I dropped my Provari with the GTUS on it and it separated the top of my provari a bit. So I started looking at it and sure enough the top is just pressed on. So what the heck. I started wiggling the GTUS back and forth untill the top of my provari popped off. So now at this point I'm thinking.. boy would it be nice to get my air hole to line up with the button. So a little bit of carfully positioning the power wires and I was able to press the top back in so that my air hole lines up nicely with the button on my provari. No more gurgle as I naturally hold it with the button in the up position.

The only draw back is that my other 2 GTUS do not line up the same as this one...

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I may go back to drilling out the center of mine as the one I sold I had done that and it worked great but I kept my wick solid. probably 35mm by 45 or 50mm. My current ones still do not work as good as the early one I had and drilled out. I am amazed that yours does not flood with that huge straw you call a wick =]... I will be trying the cotton rake method today. I will let you know how it turns out. If it works good I will have to figure out how to do it with an SGV3.

I was running solid wicks as well, you're right, up to 50 mm but kept having to do the puff, puff, blow method to get it to wick (because there's no way for air to get into the tank easily)...the loose fitting 35 mm "drinking straw" was basically a "meh, what's the worst that could happen?" moment. I think the reason it doesn't leak all over the place is the same reason why you can put a playing card on a glass of water and invert it...once the wick saturates, atmospheric pressure exceeds the pressure inside the tank and flow stops, once you vape off some of that juice in the wick, there becomes an imbalance and because there is a good size gap for air to get in, juice will flow returning to a state of equilibrium...yes, I've dedicated a fair amount of my cranial RAM to this device :laugh:

btw, as easy as Bluegrasslover's raked batton is, the cheese cloth string has twice the life span before it tastes "off"...don't know why, it just does, things that make you go Hmmm

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Quigs..

....... I am amazed that yours does not flood with that huge straw you call a wick .........

I.....the loose fitting 35 mm "drinking straw" was basically a "meh, what's the worst that could happen?" moment. I think the reason it doesn't leak all over the place is the same reason why you can put a playing card on a glass of water and invert it...once the wick saturates, atmospheric pressure exceeds the pressure inside the tank and flow stops, once you vape off some of that juice in the wick, there becomes an imbalance and because there is a good size gap for air to get in, juice will flow returning to a state of equilibrium...yes, I've dedicated a fair amount of my cranial RAM to this device :laugh:

I'll have to revisit how loose/snug my wicks fit. One of my 1st wicks slipped easily through the holes and I def had a flooding problem w/ that one. Enough juice would build up in the bottom section that it would weep out the air holes. Now that wick also had a yucky coil. Perhaps it was wicking well but the coil couldn't vaporize all the juice being fed to it. [this was with 35x35 400 mesh and original size holes]

My current coil fires up fine and is quite stable with it's ohm reading, but I'm not wicking well. This wick is a snug fit. Just passes through the holes with a bit of friction. I'll try the next one with a looser fit. Oh - and I roll my wicks with a hollow center.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Quigs - you inspired me to play around tonight w/ my GTUS. Here's my Vivi long wick mod for the GTUS.

I used cotton thread from some cheese cloth I got from my wife. I threaded 10 pieces through a needle and doubled it. Then pulled it through a 'straw' wick made from 35mmx35mm piece of SS. So I had 20 strands of cotton going through the wick. I left the needle attached so I could pull it through the hole in the upper piece.

IMG_0479med.jpg

Then I thought "why cut if off flush" with the top of the wick, so I split it into 2 long wicks.

IMG_0481med.jpg

It was working Ok, but I really wasn't sure it it was working better or not. So I decided to take 1/2 the thread of cotton out. Look at the tip of the strands I removed. You can see they've charged/burnt. Don't know why just the tips and not the area under the coil. Maybe the tips dry out 1st and burn.

IMG_0482med.jpg

Ok - w/ just 10 strands of cotton, I did notice a difference. It seemed to wick better and produce more vapor than w/ just the SS mesh wick. I think this will become part of my standard setup. No pictures of actual vaping, but here's a pic of vape coming from the air hole. It'll just pour out the hole as long as I have the button pressed on the PV. I must of vaped 1/2 tank of juice in 20 minutes, just vaping and vaping and vaping trying to get a dry hit and couldn't.

IMG_0484med.jpg

And a gratuitous picture of the coil. I just love seeing a working coil glow. Playing around tonight I just wiggled the wick out of the coil to pull the cotton through it. I'm guessing this setup will work even better when I put a new coil on the wick. This ones a tad loose in that I can easily slip the wick in and out of it.

IMG_0494med.jpg

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I was running solid wicks as well, you're right, up to 50 mm but kept having to do the puff, puff, blow method to get it to wick (because there's no way for air to get into the tank easily)...the loose fitting 35 mm "drinking straw" was basically a "meh, what's the worst that could happen?" moment. I think the reason it doesn't leak all over the place is the same reason why you can put a playing card on a glass of water and invert it...once the wick saturates, atmospheric pressure exceeds the pressure inside the tank and flow stops, once you vape off some of that juice in the wick, there becomes an imbalance and because there is a good size gap for air to get in, juice will flow returning to a state of equilibrium...yes, I've dedicated a fair amount of my cranial RAM to this device :laugh:

btw, as easy as Bluegrasslover's raked batton is, the cheese cloth string has twice the life span before it tastes "off"...don't know why, it just does, things that make you go Hmmm

I'm currently using a set up with a WIDE OPEN #270 mesh roll in a bored out GTank alla Quigs, no floods, no leaks, I can pretty much out vape (e.g. vape dry) everything I own, but not this set up lol

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I'm currently using a set up with a WIDE OPEN #270 mesh roll in a bored out GTank alla Quigs, no floods, no leaks, I can pretty much out vape (e.g. vape dry) everything I own, but not this set up lol

Cyrus, all you have to do now is try the "threadstick" wick:

2012-07-24 08.26.11.jpg

And vape yourself to a hic-uping nic migraine :laugh:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
quigs, do you wrap your coil around the thread part? details and impressions, please :)

I just started trying the "threadstick" (though, I like the name Quigstick better). It's working well for me.

Coil wrapped around thread base.

IMG_0500-Med.jpg

Installed in a GTUS atty.

IMG_0503-Med.jpg

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
quigs, do you wrap your coil around the thread part? details and impressions, please :)

Here's my vid on how I make it:

SS Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick - YouTube

I wrap my coil over top the cotton thread I wrap on. I just wrap enough thread so that the mesh is completely covered to the thickness of one cheese cloth thread (super thin, nice and snug).

Impressions: to date the best wick set up I've done, same genesis fresh, brightish taste (cotton does mellow it a bit) but without the occasional mesh/kanthal dry hit and no metallic TH (which may just be me that experiences that???) and the best part, it's faster to do than oxidizing and no screwing around with shorts (or any of those "mystery" shorts you sometimes get 2-3 days in from coil expansion/contraction).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread