Gag reflex activated from vaping..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Existnt

Nov 2, 2016
Hi! New here, so sorry if this is in the wrong area or anything..
But I've been using vapes on and off for about a year, and about three months ago I finally got my own, and I love it. Only problem is, once in a while, I've started having this problem where if I'm vaping for the first time in a couple hours, or sometimes just randomly, I start gaging when I try to breathe in. This doesn't just happen with my vape/juice, but with friend's as well.... So I don't think it's a problem with my juice or my vape (though for reference, I have an eVic mini by joy tech, the new one, and I usually use 6mg nic juice, though I sometimes use 3mg, 4.5mg, or 9mg). It seems to happen once every few days at least, no matter the vape, the nic, or the vg/pg ratio. It used to happen like, once in a blue moon if I hadn't eaten/drank enough, but it seems to be happening more frequently now...
I don't have this problem with cigarette smoke or {other stuff} or anything of the sort, and I don't have a particularly overactive gag reflex, so I'm a bit puzzled. I was thinking it might be a sinus issue? Like, if my sinuses are a teeny bit plugged or dry that might be the cause? Might make absolutely no sense... But that seems to be a common theme when it happens. A kind of... Congested in the back of my sinuses where nose meets throat if you know what I mean hah...

Anyway, just wondering if others have had this problem as well, and if you found the cause/a solution for it?
As I said, it's intermittent, but it seems to be happening more frequently, and it doesn't seem to matter what mod/tank/coils/wattage/nic/vg to pg ration I'm using.... Could happen with any mix, seems like.

Thank you in advance!

-K

Last edited by a moderator:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
...once in a while, I've started having this problem where if I'm vaping for the first time in a couple hours, or sometimes just randomly, I start gaging when I try to breathe in.

Anyway, just wondering if others have had this problem as well, and if you found the cause/a solution for it?
As I said, it's intermittent, but it seems to be happening more frequently, and it doesn't seem to matter what mod/tank/coils/wattage/nic.
Some things to try:

With your first vape, instead of pressing the fire button for the entire inhale, pulse it off and on during the puff. Experiment with how short/long the pulses are. I'm guessing that the gush of warm vapor is triggering your gag reflex when it hits the back of your throat. "Pulsing" the fire button will allow you to inhale some cooler ambient air along with the warmer vapor and the mix may alleviate the gagging response.

Alternatively, take shorter draws with your first vaping session. Also consider dropping the power of your mod to a lower wattage, and adjust it up as you vape. If your juice attachment has airflow options, open it up to allow more air flow.

I have a sensitive gag reflex, and with my first vape of the day I sometimes gag a little. I've learned to pulse the fire button with my first vaping session of the day, which seems to help a lot.

As mentioned earlier, make sure you are keeping well hydrated. Pg and Vg in the e-liquid can easily dry out your throat. Maybe consider using gum, lozenges, or hard candy when you vape to stimulate your salivary glands.

Last edited:

JMC17

Sep 5, 2016
Canada, Quebec
I'm not sure if it's related or not but when I vape and try to talk at the same time, my vocal cords gets thick and I cough. Gagging though? Like on the verge of being sick? That's something new to me.

My sinuses are messed up too, for years I've had cold symptoms all year long with no allergies. Doctors don't know what's going on and they keep sending me into surgery because that's the only fix they know. I'm done getting cut, I gave them a chance with the first surgery and it didn't change anything. They want me to go back into surgery so they can cut away some more. No thanks, maybe spend more than half an hour trying to figure out what's wrong with me before wanting to send me into surgery again.

Also, I don't know anything about PG intolerance but maybe that could be a symptom.
Some people use VG only for vaping because of allergies or intolerance.
I understand you said no matter the pg/vg ratio but I'd say try pure VG in a clean tank and atomizer, for a few days and see how it does. You also have to remember that pure VG ejuices might still have PG flavors in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread