Gas station e-cig juice revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
So I had a flight to North Carolina last night to head to literally right after I got off work. I was rushing around to get ready in a firestorm as the boss did not inform me until after lunch that I had to go. Naturally I was throwing stuff in a suitcase and not paying as much care as I normally would.

After I landed and was waiting for an Uber to take me to my hotel, I realized that my tank was running low as I was taking rips waiting by the curb at RDU. I had my batteries, charger, and coils tucked in my laptop bag, but it was at this moment that I realized that I left my current 100ML bottle in the cup holder of my car back in Chicago.

It was around 11 by the time I finally got to my hotel and after a quick google and Yelp search I realized that there appears to be no late night vape shops in Raleigh like there is back in Chicago. I am one of those people that likes to take puffs at night before bed while I am reading email and decompressing. Since there was a gas station across the street from my hotel, I figured what the hell.

I have not messed around with gas station wares since I first quit smoking, but beggars can't be choosers. When I asked the clerk if the had e-cig juice, he looked at me like I was speaking Mandarin Chinese and pointed to the shelving behind the counter. Looking around, they had mostly the various cig-a-likes behind the counter, but tucked under the shelving adjacent to Camel "Snus" they did indeed have a line of juices called 'Lex-12'. When I asked about nicotine levels he was spouting off 1.8%, 1.2%, and I was like WTF? Then I vaguely remembered from my early days that many rookie e-cigs do this (as percentage of total nicotine in the bottle I presume?)

For the whopping price of 7 dollars and 32 cents, I got a 12ML bottle of a Caramel blend and headed back to my hotel. After popping fresh batteries in my Wismec and filling up my tank and taking a few hits, yup, as you might expect it was pretty awful. It reminded me of my various efforts to quit smoking previously when I would buy these garbage brands and cig-a-likes and then it would not be long and I was right back to my trusty packs of Marlboro Lights. I highly suspect that if the sum of most people's exposure to e-cigs was brands like this that almost nobody would successfully quit smoking. Maybe I am just being pompous now that I have a whole whopping 8 months of time off cancer sticks under my belt. However, when numerous people approach me these days and ask me my advice because they are impressed by my quitting and want to do the same, I tell them to take themselves to a shop and get a legit starter kit that will actually deliver the goods.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I remember that old juice. The only place I could buy anything when I started was a head shop with a small vaping section by the door. Tiny bottles of mostly fruit and tobacco flavors. I had nothing to compare the juice to and I don't even remember whether I liked it or not. Wish I could get a bottle now just to see what it was like.

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
I suppose you could make the argument that what I purchased was likely never intended to be taken out of a huge mod with an TFV8 attached to it, so there's that. Perhaps it would be different with something a little more dialed back, but in any event, yeah, if felt like going back to the Dial-up era after broadband became a wide reality.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
The numbers for nic are the same just presented in a different format. So, suppose you were vaping 12 mgs nic. That might be on the label as 12, 1.2, 1.2%, or 12%. You can go to a drug store and buy USP grade VG to mix with that gas station juice. That stuff is usually high PG. If you use 6, buy 12 and mix it half-and-half with the VG. If you use 3 then mix it in a 3 to 1 ratio, 3 parts VG to 1 part "12" gas station juice. What nic level do you usually use?

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
The numbers for nic are the same just presented in a different format. So, suppose you were vaping 12 mgs nic. That might be on the label as 12, 1.2, 1.2%, or 12%. You can go to a drug store and buy USP grade VG to mix with that gas station juice. That stuff is usually high PG. If you use 6, buy 12 and mix it half-and-half with the VG. If you use 3 then mix it in a 3 to 1 ratio, 3 parts VG to 1 part "12" gas station juice. What nic level do you usually use?

I am normally buy 6 MG nic. I could not stomach that crap last night though. It gave me a headache after smoking it and left a nasty aftertaste. I found a place here in Raleigh that opened at 10AM so I swung before my appointments to score some legit juice. I cleaned out my tank and glass throughly with some q-tips I got from CVS and changed out the coil to remove any possible remnants of that nightmarish substance. I do not think I have ever been more excited in my tenure to cop a new bottle of juice. I was like a 5 year old at Xmas by that point.

Attachments

• IMG_6990.jpeg
    IMG_6990.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Theres a gas station in my town that has a grill and they make fabulous bacon cheeseburgers and fries. This is also one of the last places im aware of in kentucky that the owner allows smoking inside, and also vaping. Im sort of a regular customer there as i love those burgers and the owner knows i vape. He recently started selling 100ml bottles of some brand or other of vape juice and seemed proud to inform me that he now had this for sale, bless his heart. But they are way overpriced and the flavors are sort of limited and having 2 vape stores recently open in my town (small town at that) i can get better juices larger variety for a fair to decent price. But, again another but, i am a loyal customer (think bacon cheeseburgers) i feel that i shouldnt hurt his feelings by rejecting this juice out of hand. There is one that is pineapple flavor that im hoping at least tastes like pineapple. I will no doubt make the purchase soon enough. I mean, he does allow me to vape in there while im eating. What say you all?

Robby Wilson

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Theres a gas station in my town that has a grill and they make fabulous bacon cheeseburgers and fries. This is also one of the last places im aware of in kentucky that the owner allows smoking inside, and also vaping. Im sort of a regular customer there as i love those burgers and the owner knows i vape. He recently started selling 100ml bottles of some brand or other of vape juice and seemed proud to inform me that he now had this for sale, bless his heart. But they are way overpriced and the flavors are sort of limited and having 2 vape stores recently open in my town (small town at that) i can get better juices larger variety for a fair to decent price. But, again another but, i am a loyal customer (think bacon cheeseburgers) i feel that i shouldnt hurt his feelings by rejecting this juice out of hand. There is one that is pineapple flavor that im hoping at least tastes like pineapple. I will no doubt make the purchase soon enough. I mean, he does allow me to vape in there while im eating.

One of the few great things about having to travel for work all the time (trust me, it's far from glamorous after awhile) is the fact that I get to check out different shops and sometimes sample juices that are not offered from online sellers. This is a hit or miss affair in most locales. North Carolina, and I come here once a month or more, is awesome for both local flavors from shops and and how nice the people in the shops are. The guys in the shop this morning were rockstars. Super welcoming and willing to let me try half the store if need be before my taste bud alarm bells went off. I will be back, and will probably write them a positive Yelp review when I get around to it. In Chicago, most shop owners are total ...... and the juice is wicked overpriced. Though, I suppose if I am being honest, Chicago is home to far more pompous flakes than just about anywhere else in the entire midwest. I'll escape the asylum someday :)

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
One of the few great things about having to travel for work all the time (trust me, it's far from glamorous after awhile) is the fact that I get to check out different shops and sometimes sample juices that are not offered from online sellers. This is a hit or miss affair in most locales. North Carolina, and I come here once a month or more, is awesome for both local flavors from shops and and how nice the people in the shops are. The guys in the shop this morning were rockstars and super welcoming and willing to let me try half the store if need be before my taste bud alarm bells went off. I will be back, and will probably write them a positive Yelp review when I get around to it. In Chicago, most shop owners are total ...... and the juice is wicked overpriced. Though, I suppose if I am being honest, Chicago is home to far more pompous flakes than just about anywhere else in the entire midwest. I'll escape the asylum someday :)
As a former truckdriver, and having been to north carolina a LOT, i can honestly say that most everyone i ever met or dealt with there were genuinely very nice people. And having also been to chicago LOT, i do agree with your assesment. Not trying to be mean or nothin, its just a different kind of place with a different kind of people. This isnt saying i havent met decent folks there, just that there is a different attitude. I remember in particular a waitress down in bollingbrook one time that saw how tired and exhausted i was one day and brought me a bowl of cabbage soup that she decided i needed before i even ordered my dinner. Warmed my soul that day and all these years later, i still remember it.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Theres a gas station in my town that has a grill and they make fabulous bacon cheeseburgers and fries. This is also one of the last places im aware of in kentucky that the owner allows smoking inside, and also vaping. Im sort of a regular customer there as i love those burgers and the owner knows i vape. He recently started selling 100ml bottles of some brand or other of vape juice and seemed proud to inform me that he now had this for sale, bless his heart. But they are way overpriced and the flavors are sort of limited and having 2 vape stores recently open in my town (small town at that) i can get better juices larger variety for a fair to decent price. But, again another but, i am a loyal customer (think bacon cheeseburgers) i feel that i shouldnt hurt his feelings by rejecting this juice out of hand. There is one that is pineapple flavor that im hoping at least tastes like pineapple. I will no doubt make the purchase soon enough. I mean, he does allow me to vape in there while im eating. What say you all?

I support my local stores. No local vape shops, but whatever little businesses we have. I pay a bit more for sometimes less quality (with exception to the meat market, where it’s a lot cheaper for far better meat) but it keeps the town alive.

The convenience is worth it, and you can’t beat the old school service.

I’d buy the juice. Not always, but sometimes. Keep the guy vape friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread