Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Howdy All,
I do not know how many of you have bought or tried the Geek vape Aegis the indestructible mod. I did, and yes as far as being indestructible I have found it very much so. However, it it in need of urgent firmware upgrade as its V1 firmware proved to be unsafe. The Upgrade is available on Geek Vapes website. The instructions are on the page and Phil Busardo has done a movie as to how to do it

The upgrade is half way through the movie. I wish Phil would have done one on the upgrade only. <sigh>.

The only problem I had with the upgrade was that the female usb connecting port was deeply recessed in the mod and none of my usb cables could make the connection until I cut back the plastic shoulder around the male usb insert.

Once the connection was established the update easy peasy, about 10 seconds.
After the upgrade the mod had a few more features than before and works fine. Yeah I know Phil goes onto about the need for resistance lock in TC mode etc., well, ok next update mayhap. Now my Aegis works great. It is my favourite out doors mod as I have busted quite a few being the clumsy cuss that I am.

Final thoughts:
You would think that a reputable manufacturer like Geek Vape, and I do like them and have quite a few of their products, would have included an up grade cable and a tool to undo the cover of the usb port. Neither were included and fortunately I had a tool to do the job that came with one of my RDTA's.

spolen23

Jul 30, 2013
chicago, il, USA
The absence of the resistance lock is a major problem. I get the new/old atomizer question dozens of times per day without even taking my addy off. It is very annoying! If the resistance changes, and it will when fired, it asks me the same question and doesn't let me fire it unless i select new or old. Locking the resistance would prevent this. One time it asked me and my old ohm was .10 and the new was .10 so nothing even changed, yet it was still asking me to choose. They NEED to update this. It is not in the 1.22 update.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
I am thinking of getting one. I can see on the website resistance lock has been added. Any update from users?

V1.23a DOWNLOAD Oct 18th, 2017
  1. NEW/OLD Coil question optimized
  2. Sleep Mode changed from 2 mins to 10 minus
  3. Temperature Control slightly improved
  4. Resistance lock added

EODPaul

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Ottawa Ontario Canada
The update works. Resistance lock, the wattage stays locked even after power off and on, the 'New coil?' prompt is improved. I don't see any improvement in battery life, but it's no worse either. I have 2 of these now, and they've officially replaced my Yihi SX Q mini as my favourite mods.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would do the upgrade. You want to set the resistance when your coil is cold. If you've been vaping it and then remove it too quickly, your resistance will be incorrect as most wires read their resistance differently when they are hot than when they are cold. So it would be a good idea, and make things more hassle free. Also, every time you screw the atty on/off you are USING your 510 pin/threads, so removing and attaching more than is necessary isn't going to be good for your equipment over time.

So no you don't HAVE to but there are several good reasons TO update your firmware if that is happening.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Anna

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
You have a clone, then :lol:

If they are clones, they at least did a great job on them.:eek::thumbs:

Aegis.JPG

Knut arne

Sep 1, 2016
Norway
Finally got some torx, it seems like T 6,5 would be a perfect fit, t6 is a little loose and t 7 is too big. But these i have are low quality torxs and i dont have any 6,5.
Anyway the three screws around the 510 base were (wheres the 4th screw, why just three its like its missing one) loose, check your screws if u got one !

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
Wiha makes, arguably, the best Torx screwdrivers and bits available. My Wiha T6 fits my Aegis screws perfectly.

That's what I use on mine. I started buying Wiha Torx drivers for my folding knives, as their drivers and bits are very precisely sized and well heat treated. I got tired of stripping screw heads with cheap drivers or having the drivers themselves strip or bend in use. Wiha is the best I've found. :thumb:

EODPaul

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Ottawa Ontario Canada
That's what I use on mine. I started buying Wiha Torx drivers for my folding knives, as their drivers and bits are very precisely sized and well heat treated. I got tired of stripping screw heads with cheap drivers or having the drivers themselves strip or bend in use. Wiha is the best I've found. :thumb:
Same here! I have Hinderers, ZTs, Emerson knives. Their tiny screwed (notably the ZTs) made me invest in Wiha drivers.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I have endless problems in TC with v1.23a and v1.24a with SS316L and Ni200. I also heard it does it with Ti coils too. The TC is wavy and it drives me nuts. So all three of my Aegis is happily back at v1.0 and vaping very smooth. I sure wish Busardo won't teach people to take off a hot TC coil and put it back in. 4 years ago he used to say never do that with a TC coil. Now look at what he is doing?

Br0k3nW1ngz

Apr 8, 2018
Canada
i have the upgraded firmware on both of my and my gf aegis and i can say did help for coil ask issue as well as allow me to adj brightness too but so far TC mode for SS works alright i mean im still new on using TC mode but i know the SS has TCR locked at 0096 and the other TCR mode is adj on that but i prefer preset mode for ss

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Well v1.0 you have the brightness adjust too. V1.21 lost the ohms lock for some dumb reason. And v1.24 finally fixes if the fire button was left pressed, it would cycle firing for 10 seconds and then stop and then repeat on other earlier versions. And yes the SS TCR was changed from 92 to 96 maybe starting with v1.21.

But none of that bothers me at all. And neither does the new yes/no missing either from v1.0. So many mods will mess up if you take a hot coil off and put it back again. Heck I have over a dozen DNA200 mods. And every single one with the ohms unlocked and you swap batteries while the coil is hot, the DNA will sometimes use the hot resistance as the new cold resistance. If you leave the ohms locked all of the time, they work perfectly when swapping batteries.

While TC can be solid as a rock with all firmware versions under some conditions. But v1.21 (meaning higher than v1.0) and higher I can sometimes find a condition were the TC temperature acts wavy. Turning up the heat speeds up the waves. But I have never experienced this with v1.0 ever so far. All those other fixes on later versions are just so minor fixes for things I don't worry about anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread