• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Gehenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Kind of sounds similar to the hell of the Bible but not exactly the same. My guess is that earlier translation from Hebrew to Greek were simply an exercises, experience, years of Jewish teaching at a brisk rate in order to get the message across.

Personally I think that message grew wings in the 13th century with - Divine Comedy - Wikipedia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does Hell Exist?

"Yes. There is fire in hell. It’s the very things we did wrong. And hell is just a huge magnifying glass. A magnifying glass takes sunlight and makes it hot enough to burn. Hell magnifies our wrongdoings until our soul burns. The sins we do so causally here are different there. It’s a more G‑dly world. A more sensitive world. A more intense world. It’s like the pain and regret of that pig fat man, only many times worse. No poet can capture that level of pain in words. But it might be a tiny bit like having a movie made out of all your most regrettable thoughts and actions. Played in all theaters around the world. G‑d will be watching that movie. He sent you to this earth for 70 or 80 years to get diamonds. Now He can’t bear the stench. It must hurt like hell.1

But it also hurts good. Overwhelming experiences bring about what’s called catharsis. That’s the release you get after a good cry. Gehinom also brings relief and revival. And a new perspective you’ll later be thankful you got. See, G‑d isn’t rubbing it in your face. He’s scrubbing out ingrained dirt that you’ve had on your face too long to notice. It’s also temporary. Twelve months max,2 and only six days a week. You spend Shabbat in heaven, and then it's back to work.3 Always remember, Gehinom is a preparation, not a destination. We’re all going to paradise. Some just need some time to get dressed for the occasion."

Where did the word hell come from?

There are three words translated "Hell" in the New Testament, Hades and Tartarus, which are Greek, and Gehenna, which is the Greek form of the Hebrew words Gee and Hinnom, meaning "the valley of Hinnom." 1. HADES. This word occurs eleven times, and is rendered "grave" once, and "hell" ten times.

The Biblical Doctrine of Hell - Auburn University

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Kind of sounds similar to the hell of the Bible but not exactly the same. My guess is that earlier translation from Hebrew to Greek were simply an exercises, experience, years of Jewish teaching at a brisk rate in order to get the message across.

Personally I think that message grew wings in the 13th century with - Divine Comedy - Wikipedia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does Hell Exist?

"Yes. There is fire in hell. It’s the very things we did wrong. And hell is just a huge magnifying glass. A magnifying glass takes sunlight and makes it hot enough to burn. Hell magnifies our wrongdoings until our soul burns. The sins we do so causally here are different there. It’s a more G‑dly world. A more sensitive world. A more intense world. It’s like the pain and regret of that pig fat man, only many times worse. No poet can capture that level of pain in words. But it might be a tiny bit like having a movie made out of all your most regrettable thoughts and actions. Played in all theaters around the world. G‑d will be watching that movie. He sent you to this earth for 70 or 80 years to get diamonds. Now He can’t bear the stench. It must hurt like hell.1

But it also hurts good. Overwhelming experiences bring about what’s called catharsis. That’s the release you get after a good cry. Gehinom also brings relief and revival. And a new perspective you’ll later be thankful you got. See, G‑d isn’t rubbing it in your face. He’s scrubbing out ingrained dirt that you’ve had on your face too long to notice. It’s also temporary. Twelve months max,2 and only six days a week. You spend Shabbat in heaven, and then it's back to work.3 Always remember, Gehinom is a preparation, not a destination. We’re all going to paradise. Some just need some time to get dressed for the occasion."

Good morning, sir. How is life treating you?

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Good morning, sir. How is life treating you?
    Life is GOOD! Every day is better than yesterday.

When I was young and foolish I took it for granted, when I got older and acquired wisdom. I've come to realize each day is present - gift from G-d. Life is beautiful.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Many Bible readers often wonder why different translations of the Bible have very different readings of the text. When the various Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and Latin manuscripts of the Bible are compared, a process called Textual Criticism; we often find variations in how these manuscripts read.
    Biblical Textual Criticism

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread