Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
(That was supposed to be 'General'**)

I know TPA/TFA has MSDS for flavors, which makes it pretty easy to grab the sg/weights, but I was wondering if anyone had started a master (or even vendor specific) flavor weight list? I'm just getting started with weight, and would love to have some non TPA/TFA weights to avoid having to weigh everything else. Anyone know if something like this exists?

If not, I'll be sure to post back with my results so we can get a list going.

A quick question though, for those of you who've gone down this road and measured your own.. I have a graduated cylinder (I plan on using 10ml, since most of my non-TPA/TFA flavors are under 20-25ml at this point) but I'm a little nervous about eyeballing it. I know to use the meniscus, but still not 100% i'll get the exact amount.. how much is it gong to throw things off if I ended up weighing say 8.85ml instead of 9? Huge deal? Negligible?

Thanks!

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
I like the idea of a flavor density list but havent had the time to play with exacting every one in my collection. Flavor density can be divided into 4 categories based on carrier... pg, vg, water and alcohol. I weighed a few pg and pga-based in order to work out a running average and found most were close to the density of the carrier itself so I've just been using that. Actual weights of my resulting mixes come out within 0.02grams of calculated weight so I know I'm close. The error is mostly in being able to drop something in a small enough quantity without overshooting. On calculating density based on volume, the more you measure volumetrically, the less the error factor will be when you divide weight/volume.

MarkyD

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Blue Ridge
Good idea snagging the densities from the specific gravity given in the MSDS sheets. I fixed up a dozen or so of my TFA flavors. Most were only off by 0.01-0.02g. If only I could do the same so easily with other manufacturer's flavors without having to weigh each one individually. I have a lot of hangsen, flavourart and tobacco express flavors onhand, so I may end up weighing and calculating at least some of them.

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
OK, not sure what I can't edit my first post to add results, but anyways, I guess we'll just have to create a running tally..

VZ Pineapple SC = ---.876g/mL ------(10ml/8.76g)
VZ Vanilla Cake SC =- 1.032g/mL ----(10ml/10.32g)
VZ Lemonade SC = ---0.8857g/mL ------(19ml/16.83g)
VZ Key Lime SC = ----0.8525 g/mL-------(20mL/17.05g)

Also just to throw it in there, my Nicotine is 50/50 from Wizard Labs (24mg) weighed out at 1.25g/mL (36g/32ml) 1.125. Seems slightly off for a 50/50 mix, but I'll re-measure for the next batch and compare.

Edit - reviewing 4th grade math..

Last edited:

GrannyM

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
Saginaw, MI
Brandon,
You're numbers aren't making sense to me. First of all, not sure why you have mg listed there?

And then let's take the VZ SC Pineapple for instance. If 10 ml = 8.76 grams, then wouldn't it follow that 1 ml = 0.876 grams?

For what it's worth, I measured the VZ SC Pineapple at 0.92g/ml. (using a syringe to measure the volume).

I didn't think of using the TFA MSDS sheets...so thanks for that idea!!

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
Wow! Thanks.. yeah, I think I was a bit confused there.. going to re-edit.

Strange your VZ SC Pineapple is that far off.. (or mine is). How much did you measure with? I was using a graduated cylinder (10ml).

Should be interesting to taste the 40ml of liquid I made with the incorrect initial measurements.. :) Luckily I forrest gumped my way to the right nic value, so at least no surprises there.

Also, FW has MSDS sheets, if you use any of their flavor. It's a weird zip file you have to add to your cart and then checkout ($0.00) then download, and it includes all of their flavors.

Edit - OK, I was doing some more digging, as I expected my flavorings to be closer to 1g/ml since most places us PG for a carrier.. turns out many VZ SC flavors are alcohol based, and I would assume by alcohol they mean ethyl alcohol.

According to this site - http://www.csgnetwork.com/specificgravliqtable.html

Ethyl Alcohol by itself should measure out to .78506g/ml. So that makes me feel a bit better about those values being in the .8x range. So that got me wondering why Vanilla Cake was off, and it turns out VZ SC Vanilla Sponge Cake is PG based, so that makes sense now as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread