Genesis and a Kayfun lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

011COACH

Sep 19, 2013
Balkans
Just ordered a kayfun lite. I was looking at the Ithaka but figured I'd save some chee$e & aggravation (res/no-res) since this is my first rba. ...Anyway, I have some automotive history in electronics (ie. I know how to use a multimeter), but still have a few questions for the community:

1. What size/type wick and wire do I want? (silica/cotton/ekowool/mesh--kanthal, gauge, etc.)
&
2. how close is the K-lite's finish to that of a polished genesis? (albeit, not so important).

Regards.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
You are going to be one happy man. I have the Russian rba, the exact copy clone of the Kayfun. hits great with what ever wick you choose. It comes with silica and wire, so you don't have to worry. I'm on my 3rd build using a hybrid design. And it's the best build so far, really cooking fantastic

I did the figure 8 silica wick then wrapped some 400 ss mesh around the middle, then did a 4-5 coil wrap with 30 awg Kanthal a1 wire. Metered at 1.8 ohms. Check YouTube for Kayfun build or Kayfun coil. and you'll find lots of methods. I basically used the Ideas I liked best, and added my own twist.

Would recommend the Figure 8 method, then go from there. I used the mounting holes for the wire, instead of under the screws. feel using them allows a little more control for wick height, and then you just bend it up and over the air intake. Makes for a quick mount too.

Have fun!

Vape on!

Vape the world!!

Liked the Russian so well, that I purchase 2 Rockets (kayfun clone) in a co-op deal.

Raycecar

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
USA
I personally prefer using 30/28g Kanthal.
I wrap a micro-coil anywhere from .7-1.3 ohms, and thread some cotton through there. It brings out the most flavor with a Kayfun Lite, IMHO.
So far my favorite is a .8-1ohm coil.

When the cotton wick gets old, it's just so easy to take the old one out and slide a new one in. No need for building a new coil unless you really need to.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Can't imagine a cleaner or better vape then I'm getting with my SS mesh hybrid build, and didn't like the thought of tearing down the tank ever day or so to change out cotton. Trying to find a build that will last weeks before cleaning, dry burn, and or doing a rebuild. Think ii am on the right path. May try a micro down the road, but am loving my results so far.

011COACH

Sep 19, 2013
Balkans
Nice... Let me ask you something, I keep reading that the k-lite and the 91 are practically identical. Since this is apparently the case, is there anywhere I can get a just the 91 airflow control, and will it work on the k-lite? I've been searching the net, but haven't had any luck....or can I simply machine a tap a new hole myself and just snag a screw somewhere? Hypothetically of course.

Last edited:

011COACH

Sep 19, 2013
Balkans
I personally prefer using 30/28g Kanthal.
I wrap a micro-coil anywhere from .7-1.3 ohms, and thread some cotton through there. It brings out the most flavor with a Kayfun Lite, IMHO.
So far my favorite is a .8-1ohm coil.

When the cotton wick gets old, it's just so easy to take the old one out and slide a new one in. No need for building a new coil unless you really need to.

Thanks for the tip! I think I might try this as my first build.

Drhookerman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Los Angeles
I have 3 kayfun.(2 silica and 1 cotton) 1 micro with cotton, 1 figure 8, and one 2 fold build. All using 30g kanthal wires at 0.7-1ohms. The only difference with figure 8 and 2 fold is that at the end I don't need to cut off the excessive amount of wick I use. I also notice that figure 8 doesn't darken my juice as fast but it still does. I rebuild my kayfun once a week not because it need to, but because I don't like having my juice turning brown. Problem would be solve if I just went to cotton wicks(still turns brown but it is easier to change if you use micro coil).

Last edited:

Drhookerman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Los Angeles
Nice... Let me ask you something, I keep reading that the k-lite and the 91 are practically identical. Since this is apparently the case, is there anywhere I can get a just the 91 airflow control, and will it work on the k-lite? I've been searching the net, but haven't had any luck....or can I simply machine a tap a new hole myself and just snag a screw somewhere? Hypothetically of course.

The 91% has a extra hole through the positive post, and at the bottom of the rba there is a screw to allow you to adjust if you want that airflow or not. So you can't just add it onto the kayfun lite. If you are thinking of modding it to fit you will have to drill a hole into the positive, then go down the post and through to the base and finally drilling another hole from the base into the post. Not to mention lining them all up and finally tapping a screw. With all that work I would just buy a 91 since the price isn't all that different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread