Genesis, SS mesh build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmadsen

Aug 19, 2013
Berea, KY, USA
Okay people, I have a question that may be stupid, but here goes. Is it possible (or safe!) to use a micro coil with SS mesh in a genny?I've done a couple of genny builds with SS mesh and standard coils, and a couple with micro coils and cotton. I was thinking maybe the best of both worlds? I think I like the micro with cotton better than the SS mesh, but I have a lot of mesh laying around that I don't want to go to waste!

Not looking to sub-ohm... shooting for 1.2 to 1.5 ohms.

Thanks, and vape on!:vapor:

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Are you going to roll a 1/16" thick mesh wick? I would oxidize it really well before wrapping the coil, it will be difficult to work out shorts and hotspots with the coils tightly spaced. Also, if you find you need to wrap the coil on the device with the wick inserted, you may find it a lot easier if you remove the positive post. That was one of the main keys that helped me get a mesh wicked genny working consistently well.

dmadsen

Aug 19, 2013
Berea, KY, USA
Actually had not considered the diameter of the mesh roll... probably somewhere around .060" and .080" daimeter roll. I think the RSST coil holes is around 2.5 to 3mm (.100" - .120"). I'll measure at work tomorrow. Probably going to use 30 gauge kanthal for the coil. Would rather build higher resistance for the first try!

Also, would using cotton or silica as a core work? just a random thought.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
I would go with straight up mesh. I don't think adding soft wick to the core does anything substantial, and you're not going to have much wiggle room as it is with a microcoil.

I stumbled across Zen's original Zenesis video, and in it he says that nothing works as well as a straight-up steel mesh wick.

It's funny to see how casual he is about making the wick; he uses hacked up mesh, doesn't bother measuring the dimensions, says it doesn't matter whether the wick is tightly or loosely rolled -- he just gets to it and throws the wick together. I's an interesting video to see for someone (i.e. me) just about to try their first Genesis-style build.

-- Glenn

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Funny you should say that, Glenn... there is something strange about it. However much one may struggle with learning SS mesh setups, once you got it, you got it. And in a strange way, the mesh knows you got it, so it doesn't bother to put up much of a fight any more.

I think adding cotton or ekowool (or not) is more of a philosophical question. Personally I refuse to contaminate my mesh wicks with inferior materials. In more practical (and slightly more serious) terms; one of the strongest selling points of mesh wicks is that they're very low maintenance. Why mix in materials that potentially removes that aspect of it? Especially with cotton. I wouldn't dry burn a mesh wick stuffed with cotton.

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
All touching coils works well in a genesis, but not as a microcoil with mesh. I don't think a mesh wick that small (~1/16th inch) would work very well. I think, generally, you want your wick slightly smaller than the wick hole, or tight with a hollow core, so you have a little space in there. I've seen some people drill the wick hole larger for a larger wick that can hold more juice (less dry hits?). I tried it myself, but with poor results, though I may have given up on it too soon. Right now, I'm actually missing the vape quality how I had my aga t2 set up, but I've been almost won over with the ease of a kayfun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread