Genuine Branded Coils does make a Difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Though I began vaping in November 2013, with an ego battery device, I had to wait a couple of extra months to save for a real setup. Got it in January, a Astro clone with a DPure PuriTank. Was pleased with the setup, though two issues until today persisted.

That was a leaky tank & gurgling. I was told that it may be not changing batteries often enough, letting the tank run too low, not changing the coils or replacing the flavor wick (removing the old piece of wick & let hot water drip over the coil, allow to air dry & burn it off). I did all of these things & still was leaking & gurgling.

Finally, I had an idea. The original coils were 2.2 ohm, my distributor was selling 1.8 ohm for everything. I found this set of Genuine KangerTech coils on eBay for $6.49, less than I was paying for generic.

Kanger Protank Mini 2 Evod Unitank 1 5 1 8 2 2 2 5 Ohm Replacement Heating Coils | eBay

It shipped fast, receiving the 5 pack in three days. At first, they looked the same, but when screwing the new one on, I noticed that the lip was slightly larger, providing for a very flush fit. There was no wiggle room.

The real difference was when I fired it up. After 2 hits, I was for the first time since owning the device, able to get deep hits of vapor & the better thing was, it also ran noticeably cooler. No gurgles or leaks, after 7 hours of use. Just deep, sweet vape (Lunar Vapor French Vanilla Deluxe, 50/50, 24mg), hit after hit.

So coils DO make a difference. If you've been dealing with lots of gurgling & leaks, but haven't found a solution, consider the brand of your coils. Many of the generic white 5 count boxes of coils may have a plain label stating "Kanger", but the real deal is in a black box & has the branded name "KangerTech" on the top & bottom lid.

After 4 months of frustration with leaks, this was the best $6.49 that I've spent on my vaping hobby.

Hopefully this will help someone, which is why I'm posting, not to promote the brand. Branded coils are simply better in quality. Don't skimp on this.

Cat

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Yes; those coils often have small variations; like there's slightly different dimensions between mt3 and protanks but the coils look the same at first glace;

i use an extra silicone cap on top my coil spire to seal the gap so there is no wiggle room; once there is a gap there then liquid gets in the center tube and you get gurgling, which then leads to flooding.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Yes; those coils often have small variations; like there's slightly different dimensions between mt3 and protanks but the coils look the same at first glace;

i use an extra silicone cap on top my coil spire to seal the gap so there is no wiggle room; once there is a gap there then liquid gets in the center tube and you get gurgling, which then leads to flooding.

Oh, I forgot to add in the flooding part. Many times, I would remove the tank & juice was all over the mod & one time the battery was covered with e-juice. Plus it would run through the vent holes, getting it on my hands. Every day I had to change to a new paper towel in my pocket, but haven't today.

No more off brand coils for me.

Cat

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
I've been buying coils from Froghair Vapors on FleaBay for $6.39? a box. They are like 1 day shipping from me in Michigan. But.. I started rebuilding my coils. I had a couple of EVODS today, one was kicking ...., the other was sucking. When I got home from work I took them apart and realized the kick .... one was one I rebuilt with cotton. Go get some Kanthal 32ga wire and a tiny 3/64ths? drill bit. Watch YouTube on rebuild EVOD. I bought about 20 coils, but now I just tear them open and toss the silica. 5 wraps of 32 ga kanthal gives me 1.7-1.9 ohms and the cotton soaks up lots more juice than stock silica = better clouds. I've only been at this a month, but I won't use a stock coil anymore until I rebuild it with cotton and 5 wraps of 32 kanthal. Stock coils are like puffing on a cig with a crack in the side to me now. Real Kanger 1.8 ohm coils show 1.9 - 2.2 ohms out of the box. Mine are all 1.7-1.9 with 5 wraps and work fine on my SVD or even a plain 3.7V battery. I hated getting a 1.8 stock, was really 2.2, so it gave me a bad case of gurgles and leaks/overflows.
- Joe

Last edited:

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I've been buying coils from Froghair Vapors on FleaBay for $6.39? a box. They are like 1 day shipping from me in Michigan. But.. I started rebuilding my coils. I had a couple of EVODS today, one was kicking ...., the other was sucking. When I got home from work I took them apart and realized the kick .... one was one I rebuilt with cotton. Go get some Kanthal 32ga wire and a tiny 3/64ths? drill bit. Watch YouTube on rebuild EVOD. I bought about 20 coils, but now I just tear them open and toss the silica. 5 wraps of 32 ga kanthal gives me 1.7-1.9 ohms and the cotton soaks up lots more juice than stock silica = better clouds. I've only been at this a month, but I won't use a stock coil anymore until I rebuild it with cotton and 5 wraps of 32 kanthal. Stock coils are like puffing on a cig with a crack in the side to me now. Real Kanger 1.8 ohm coils show 1.9 - 2.2 ohms out of the box. Mine are all 1.7-1.9 with 5 wraps and work fine on my SVD or even a plain 3.7V battery. I hated getting a 1.8 stock, was really 2.2, so it gave me a bad case of gurgles and leaks/overflows.
- Joe

Joe, that's what I'm now starting to learn! Now that I have 2 boxes of the genuine KangerTech coils, I can use the shell & rebuild them.

Though it's going to take some practice. I now have a Atomizer Ohm Meter, so that I can see the ohm level before I use them. Though I like the 2.5 ohm for it's vape, it doesn't get quite enough, so I feel that 2.2 ohms is a happy medium.

As soon as I have 5 spent coils, I'll rebuild them. Already have the genuine TemCo 32 gauge "A1" wire, 100 feet & 6 feet of ekowool (2mm) wicking material. Was told, but may have to experiment on this, that it's the best, so I'll give it a shot anyway.

Waiting for the last item, a torch lighter that I bought on eBay from a highly reputable vape supplier (zero negatives in the last tear). The B&M stores around here, even the tobacco/vape shops, all they carry is regular lighters. The last one that I went in had everything that many of us needs, but no rebuilding parts. I suppose to make more on coils.

Cat

old_geezer

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Lansing, MI USA
I'm still learning on these. My latest revelation was that if you use too much cotton it swells and blocks off your draw. While it's good at first, you start to get a tight draw and gurgles. You need to play with how much cotton you pull through the coil when rebuilding it. I can safely say "don't use as much as you can". Use maybe 2/3'rds as much as you can pull through. You need enough cotton and flavor wick on to stop juice from just running into the coil, but too much and it blocks your air. Another thing, sucking too hard and too fast will flood about any coil, even a perfect one.

For a while I was getting gurgles and thought not enough cotton. It's the opposite. I had too much cotton, I sucked hard because the draw was hard, and flooded it out. There is a balance.
- Joe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread