Genuine or knock off coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
I got white box from discount vaper and white box from healthcabin. I will take pics when I get home. I feel like while both boxes were white, they were a little different. I can only assume the healthcabin and fasttech replica\generic\clone ones are the same but I threw away the outer box from the fasttech ones.

TBPlayer2112

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2012
Northern Illinois
This is something I've been going through with another reputable vendor, which I won't name here. When I first ordered my EVods from them with replaceable heads the coils came packed individually in little zip-lock bags. I thought that was strange. My last order of coils came packaged the same way but I noticed some differences. The bottom posts are slightly longer, they don't vape as well, and the ohms are not stamped on the side like they are on genuine Kanger coils.
I order Protank heads from a different vendor for my PT mini and those are in a black box with KangerTech on the side and come 5 to a pack. Needless to say I won't be ordering from the first vendor anymore for my coils and just use Protank heads in my EVods and PT mini.

jcco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
I got 2 Kanger Evods & some heads from discount vapers. The heads are in the white box exactly as shown before.
The box does say Kanger Evod heads so I can only assume they are real Kangers.

I have never seen any offered in a black box wherever I look.
The ones I got work perfectly.
I also got 5 from Fasttech & they have problems with their draw & leak all over the place or don't wick at all. To the dump with those.

Does anyone have a link to the black box ones? I've never ran across them.

TBPlayer2112

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2012
Northern Illinois
So the ones that came singles in tiny ziplocks were the ones missing the ohm stamps?

Yes, the ones that are packaged individually in little zip lock bags do not have the ohms stamped to the bottom.
The coils I get from Sun Vapers are in black boxes. They're identical to the white box in the photo posted previously in this thread, with little check boxes for 'Protank' and '2.5 ohm'.

edit:Correction, not exactly identical to the white box. On these under Connector is has listed-
MEGA Protank
Protank
Mini Protank (510)
Mini Protank (ego)

I got these a couple weeks ago and the Protank box is the one they checked.

Last edited:

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
I wonder if the black box were for protank and white box were for evod??? and then that we have evod/protank coils now they will have new kanger labeled packaging. The ones I got from discount vaper in the white box a few weeks ago were the ones with the longer stem on top and truthfully the best I have ever used.

jcco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
I wonder if the black box were for protank and white box were for evod??? and then that we have evod/protank coils now they will have new kanger labeled packaging. The ones I got from discount vaper in the white box a few weeks ago were the ones with the longer stem on top and truthfully the best I have ever used.

Never thought of that. Black box for PT & white for Evods. Same here, the ones I got from discount vaper are the best I ever used.
I know now that the heads are universal for both. I sure hope they hit like the old Evod's.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If you bought the replacement coil heads from Discount Vapers, you bought genuine KangerTech equipment. He is an authorized KangerTech distributor and only sells genuine equipment. If it says "Kanger" on the box and it came from DV, it's Kanger.

TBPlayer2112

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2012
Northern Illinois
Here's a couple of crappy pics of the black box.

Blackbox1.jpg

Blackbox2.jpg

The Evod=White/Protank=Black theory sounds reasonable.

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
Here's a couple of crappy pics of the black box.

View attachment 241499

View attachment 241500

The Evod=White/Protank=Black theory sounds reasonable.

I think you're right. I have one white box and one black. The white box was ordered with my first EVOD and the heads in that box have the longer stem; The black box was just ordered a couple of weeks ago when I bought a Protank, and those heads have the smaller posts.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I had an issue a few weeks back that I posted about in this forum about leaky coils , out of a 5 pack of genuine kanger evod coils 3 were missing flavor wicks and leaked badly, like I was sucking juice through a straw . While I was online another member opened his 5 pack and 2 were missing flavor wicks . Since then I've gotten generics from fastech and have had no problems with them at all. Kanger's quality control leaves a lot to be desired . But bottomline is I open all coils before I use them to make sure nothing is missing , it sucks when you waste juice .

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
all original kanger attys are in black boxes. here's some kangertech evod heads in a black box http://stormysvaporcellar.com/oc_1/image/cache/data/evod coil-800x600.jpg
I wonder if that's an old pic and packaging changed.

But back to OP's question it looks like there is no real way to tell generic\replica\clone from true kanger once there is no packaging or what vendor it was purchased from. Though it does sound like there are now knock offs on the market with no ohm stamp (possibly). Seems even authentic kanger have issues that you need to sometimes have to tweak. But hey we aren't smoking anymore, we don't stink, we are saving money and we have a good hobby right? ;)

Castell

Aug 13, 2013
Toronto, ON
After some searching I found a vendor that sells the Evod coils with what appears to be in the black box as described. And by the look of the pictures, the stems (poles) don't look nearly as long as the ones I have and are not interchangeable with the Protank etc. I guess we won't really know if we have a genuine Kanger product or a knock-off.
kanger_evod_replacement_coil_head_5pack.jpg

http://www.vapemate.com/Kanger-EVOD-Replacement-Coil-Heads-5-PK_p_327.html

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
Oh gee, I just ordered 10 new coils for my Protank from DiscountVapers, I hope I don't end up with fakes. As long as I can rebuild them and they work I'll be okay, but if they turn out to be fakes I'll sure post about it here.
If your ordered from discount vapers you are getting real.

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
After some searching I found a vendor that sells the Evod coils with what appears to be in the black box as described. And by the look of the pictures, the stems (poles) don't look nearly as long as the ones I have and are not interchangeable with the Protank etc. I guess we won't really know if we have a genuine Kanger product or a knock-off.
kanger_evod_replacement_coil_head_5pack.jpg

http://www.vapemate.com/Kanger-EVOD-Replacement-Coil-Heads-5-PK_p_327.html

Those are the older long heads; the ones you have now should be that same size if you look at the blister pack. The new heads I purchased that came in a black box like that are much shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread