Use Evod coils from fasttech as is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickBatman

Dec 25, 2013
Kansas City
I finally got my order from fasttech. I ordered an Evod, 5 pack of evod coils and some ejuice. When i checked out the coils I noticed the wicks were completely inside, meaning no slack no part of the wick was hanging out. Is this ok? Or should I pull a little bit out?

Also I have an evod I got from some other place (keep in mind im certain these aren't kangers but knock offs) and the rod you pull off to get to the flavour wicks and coil is longer than the ones I received from fasttech, however the fasttech ones still "work" with the Evod I got another place. I tried to use the longer rod on one of fasttech's and it just wouldn't snap into place.

Also since I have 2+ grommets now should i do the upside down grommet trick as default or only when I experience problems like leaking etc?

(Basically when I used fasttech coils as is with evod from another store It worked just felt like I WASN'T getting a good/big enough hit)

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
EDIT - Good grief, I talk a lot - sorry for the wall of text.

Hi PB, the longer chimney seems to be the default that is sold here in the US now - Kanger went from selling two different coils for the EVOD and Protank to selling the same ones for both clearos. As you said, the short ones work just the same, in fact I can see no advantage to having a longer or shorter tube - so long as it slides into the airhole and seals on the silicone grommet, it shouldn't matter.

As for the wicks not poking out - well they kind of have to, at least enough to block the liquid from flooding the coil. If you are getting good performance, you might not want to mess with them as you'll more than likely end up with flooding or dry hits if you move them too much.

Saying that, tinker with it if you like. It's how I learned what works and what doesn't. If you understand how your equipment works, then you are more likely to find a solution if you are having issues. If it starts flooding, you could always pop the chimney off and re-position the wicks.

Regarding the upside-down grommet trick, try it - it basically helps to seal the airtube from the liquid. I saw no difference when I tried it, but you might. I think it's mainly if you are having leaking / gurgling issues.

Finally, I rinsed the heck out of the fasttech coils I bought, I ended up soaking them in hot soapy water as they had a light machine oil smell that I couldn't wash away. I eventually bought some wick and wire and started building them myself because I was so unhappy with the hit or miss experiences I was having with all the coil suppliers out there. Just some food for thought.

Conchord George

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
NH
If you don't think you are ready to start rebuilding the heads with new coils, a good place to start is to just replace the wicks with cotton ones. Just pull the top off, slide out the old wicks and put some cotton in there. Pretty easy and I have had success with this method. I'm sure there videos out there of the process.

PatrickBatman

Dec 25, 2013
Kansas City
Thanks for the reply. I thinks it's just weird that the 5 pack of coils I ordered from replacement heating cores on the same page as the evod i ordered, look different than the stock coil that came with the evod. It's the same coil don't get me wrong, it's just the wick placement and wick thickness is totally different.

The wick that came with evod looks "normal" to me 3 wicks sticking out on both sides just barely (2 flavor & coil one) but the replacement ones that fasttech recommends for same evod (under replacement parts) are stuffed inside, are not as thick and I can't even tell if there is even 2 flavor wicks. The wick(s) aren't even long enough to stick out both sides and are already coming part without me even touching them. :(

EDIT:

@ConchordGeorge

I've just only recently read about the cotton thing but not much. So do you literally remove original wicks and stick COTTON BALL(S) in there or do you mean cotton wicks i buy from some place?

If youmean cotton balls GREAT i have tons of those for my H habit JK ;)

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
These types of inconsistencies are exactly what led me down the path of rebuilding my own. Fastech must have a manual process for building those heads because they are just all so different that it's impossible they came off a machine. You're lucky if all 5 even work...

Great advice from CG above, just replace the silica with cotton if you don't want to go the whole rebuilding way and are having issues with the wicks.

You could also buy yourself some silica wicking from most online vendors so at least you can cut a piece and replace a flavor wick or something.

Conchord George

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
NH
@ConchordGeorge

I've just only recently read about the cotton thing but not much. So do you literally remove original wicks and stick COTTON BALL(S) in there or do you mean cotton wicks i buy from some place?
You tear off a small piece and roll it in your fingers. Make it extra long and cut them off so just a mm or two stick out of the cup. The top stem can be hard to replace sometime. I use a pair of slip joint pliers and gently and evenly snap it back in when that happens.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
So you can use cotton as flavor wick too right? Or only use it as coil? I'm guessing if used as coil you won't even need flavor wicks.

You might get juice spitting if you don't put a flavor wick. Those flavor wicks do two things, they prevent too much liquid getting into the coil, and they prevent the juice spitting up on your tongue.

The biggest trick with cotton is using just the right amount. Too little and you will flood and gurgle, too much and it will choke your coil and you will not get much flavor or vapor. When you put it in your coil, it should be loose enough that it just offers a tiny bit of resistance when you push and pull it. You'll probably have to try a few time before you get it. Don't forget to trim the end of the rolled cotton before you try to thread it through - it makes it 100% easier.

Just as a point, don't ever dry burn when you are using cotton. Unlike silica it will burn and catch fire.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Thanks IntheShade :) Sorry still not clear, I know you can use cotton for coil, but what about just for flavor wick and not coil? That's what I actually wanted to know, sorry.

Yes sir, you can use cotton for a flavor wick.
Experiment with it and don't give up if you get a flood the first time. Try it without a flavor wick, a bit of silica instead of cotton, more cotton, less cotton etc. etc. etc. What works for one, doesn't always work for everyone.

Best advice, check out youtube for videos. Most of them show microcoils with cotton wicks - but it will give you the idea.

Oh, and you are welcome. EVODs are great clearos, but when you have cotton in them, they are excellent. Post up, let us know how it goes.

I picked up a pack of these coils and when I went to install the first one it had a thread that was off, then when I went to the next one the long chimney seemed a little bent and didn't line up correctly. Guessing the mass production of these items has missed a little on the quality.

Yes sir, you can use cotton for a flavor wick.
Experiment with it and don't give up if you get a flood the first time. Try it without a flavor wick, a bit of silica instead of cotton, more cotton, less cotton etc. etc. etc. What works for one, doesn't always work for everyone.

Best advice, check out youtube for videos. Most of them show microcoils with cotton wicks - but it will give you the idea.

Oh, and you are welcome. EVODs are great clearos, but when you have cotton in them, they are excellent. Post up, let us know how it goes.

Free6413

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Spring, Texas
I have both long and short chimneys for my EVOD. Can't say I see any difference. I did find that I bought a 2.8 ohm coil for it and wow what a difference. I hear about going with lower resistance coils to get the vapor and flavor but I have to say these coils vape great. I have an eGo VV2 and love it. I bought other top coils, bottom coils and dual bottom coils. I like the feel and vapor I get with my EVOD over the rest. I am actually contemplating rebuilding my own but haven't made that leap yet. Keyword in this is yet! One thing I do have to say about this tank is that it needs to be kept full as much as possible in order to keep the coil moist. This will not only lengthen the life of your coils but will also allow the flavor to stay true. I say if it works, don't fool with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread