Getting an MVP 2.0 soon and I'd also like to get started trying to rebuild some coils - need advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEAc23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Washington
So like the title says I am planning on getting an MVP 2.0 soon, and I'd also like to get some clearos/tanks or whatever that I can learn coil rebuilding on rather easily. I've watched a couple videos on YouTube, and I plan to watch many more, but I figured I would get some opinions here first. Oh and if it matters I plan to get an Aspire Nautilus soon after I get the MVP, but I'd like to get one that's a little easier to rebuild first.

Here are my main questions:

1. What tanks should I get to start rebuilding coils on?
2. What gauge wiring should I start with?
3. What millimeter wicking material (hollow or with silica)?
4. Will the Kanger T3S be a good tank to start on, and will it fit on the MVP 2.0?
5. What other equipment will I need?
6. Any mistakes I should try to avoid making?
7. Any other questions I should be asking?

Also I suppose I should ask, would it be smarter to just spend the extra on the VTR, or will the MVP work? I will probably be using it quite a bit at home, but I will most likely continue using my Triton when I'm on the go. Although I have a feeling I will be getting a VV 3.0 soon after I get the MVP, that way I have a VV device on the go and at home.

I appreciate any help, and I will make sure to respond to any questions as soon as I can (probably tomorrow evening if there are a lot).

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
1. What tanks should I get to start rebuilding coils on? Protank 2 or Mini PT 2
2. What gauge wiring should I start with? 32
3. What millimeter wicking material (hollow or with silica)? Cotton
4. Will the Kanger T3S be a good tank to start on, and will it fit on the MVP 2.0? not used it but it's Kanger & rebuildable so yep
5. What other equipment will I need?small pliers,something to wrap on, lighter or torch, ohm checker or multimeter
6. Any mistakes I should try to avoid making?take your time have another coil or tank to vape on while you practice

VTR is my main device home and out and about. I use Protank 2's and like that the tank sits inside the cage. I like the button on the side rather than the front (MVP). Between the two I would say go by what feels the most comfortable in your hand.

Last edited:

MelvinTheDude

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Ohio, USA
Any single bottom coil tank is a good start. I rebuilt my Kanger T3S very easily. And yes, it will fit the MVP quite well.

I used 30 gauge kanthal with 3mm solid silica and two 1mm pieces for flavor wicks. I think that was eight wraps for 2.1 ohms. Some people like cotton but I've had bad experiences with it the past couple of days. I went back to silica.

You'll need needle nose pliers. Preferably round nosed, but I had no problem with clunky dollar store ones. It's pretty damn simple. Just find a youtube video. Your MVP will check ohms approximately.

An MVP most definitely works. It's great bang for the buck.

TheReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Kaua'i - Nevada
So like the title says I am planning on getting an MVP 2.0 soon, and I'd also like to get some clearos/tanks or whatever that I can learn coil rebuilding on rather easily. I've watched a couple videos on YouTube, and I plan to watch many more, but I figured I would get some opinions here first. Oh and if it matters I plan to get an Aspire Nautilus soon after I get the MVP, but I'd like to get one that's a little easier to rebuild first.

4. Will the Kanger T3S be a good tank to start on, and will it fit on the MVP 2.0?

Also I suppose I should ask, would it be smarter to just spend the extra on the VTR, or will the MVP work? I will probably be using it quite a bit at home, but I will most likely continue using my Triton when I'm on the go. Although I have a feeling I will be getting a VV 3.0 soon after I get the MVP, that way I have a VV device on the go and at home.

I appreciate any help, and I will make sure to respond to any questions as soon as I can (probably tomorrow evening if there are a lot).

The protank line is great for getting into rebuilding with, I first did the Aerotank and it performed flawlessly.

I used 32g to first build on but if you go on Youtube and search Riptrippers he has a video where he used 28g and it " chucks the vapor " not to mention with allot of flavor.

I'd honestly say skip the silica and go with the Organic cotton, it's just way easier to work with and re wicking is a breeze. The flavor is superbly better than with silica IMO.

I used the basics - Nail clippers, small screwdriver set, drill bit set from 1/16 and up, needle nose pliers or stainless steel tweezers which works good as well. Lots of paper towels Lol, a mini torch if you have one which makes it easier to wrap coils when you pre torch the wire.

The VTR is the big brother of the MVP but It's not honestly that huge IMO. You would have a better range of Watts/Volts to choose from and it's up to you whether you want the weight and heft of the VTR or the smaller MVP. Either way they both perform and look great.

Remember, youtube is your friend and can provide allot of information we can't as in you being able to watch someone physically building coils so you can replicate what they are doing.

A little spreadsheet that will help you with getting the resistance you want =)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZEtmY0pPYzBvdUw2blJHVjdkc1E&usp=sharing#gid=0

Vape on!

DEAc23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Washington
Ok well I couldn't wait until later this evening to look into a few things, so I started researching some of the links/tips already posted, and here's what I've got so far:

Tools/Items I've got on my list:

1. MVP 2.0 and iClear30 starter kit
2. VV 3.0 & 5x iClear16 starter kit
3. 5 Pack of Kanger T3S clearomizers (with 5 extra coils, just in case)
4. Aspire Nautilus or Kanger Aerotank
5. Ohm meter
6. Needle nose pliers (cone type), torch lighter, small screw driver to wrap coils
7. 25' of 32g Kanthal and 25' of 28g Kanthal (both come with some silica wicking material)
8. Organic cotton balls

Also a couple more questions:

1. Any specific brand/model suggestions for the ohm meter? (one that is relatively cheap)
2. I saw a video on YouTube where the Kanger T3S wouldn't fit on an MVP 2.0, I just want to get more confirmations they will fit...?
3. Anything I'm missing on my "To Buy" list up above?

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Ok well I couldn't wait until later this evening to look into a few things, so I started researching some of the links/tips already posted, and here's what I've got so far:

Tools/Items I've got on my list:

1. MVP 2.0 and iClear30 starter kit
2. VV 3.0 & 5x iClear16 starter kit
Check out 101vapes, they have the best prices on these around: Variable Voltage/Wattage devices - 101 Vape

3. 5 Pack of Kanger T3S clearomizers (with 5 extra coils, just in case)
4. Aspire Nautilus or Kanger Aerotank
5. Ohm meter
6. Needle nose pliers (cone type), torch lighter, small screw driver to wrap coils
7. 25' of 32g Kanthal and 25' of 28g Kanthal (both come with some silica wicking material)
8. Organic cotton balls

Also a couple more questions:

1. Any specific brand/model suggestions for the ohm meter? (one that is relatively cheap)
2. I saw a video on YouTube where the Kanger T3S wouldn't fit on an MVP 2.0, I just want to get more confirmations they will fit...?
3. Anything I'm missing on my "To Buy" list up above?

I bought my Ohm meter from 101vapes, they are all about the same in quality.

The T3S probably doesn't fit inside the beauty ring on the MVP2. Take the beauty ring off and it will fit and look just fine!

I prefer 30 gauge for my rebuilds, IMO 28 gauge is a little too thick.

I love my Aerotank, once you rebuild some T3S coils rebuilding the Aerotank dual coils will be very easy. I've seen the video of Rip Tripper rebuilding an aspire nautilus coil and it looked like a wicked bugger to do. Do a search for the new "Aerotank Mega" it's a nautilus killer especially since it can use the current aerotank coils (it comes with nautilus style coils but works with the older coils too!)

Here's an exploded view of a kanger coil...
pt coil.jpg

A few of my rebuilds
3coils.JPG

You absolutely won't go wrong with an MVP2 or a VV V3. I liked my first MVP2 so much I bought a second one and a VV V3.

Black MVP2 with Aerotank, VV V3 with Mini Protank 2 and Silver MVP2 with Tobeco Kayfun Lite+
setups04022014.jpg

Last edited:

Robr9457

Apr 6, 2014
Newcastle

I'm looking at the mpv thinking of getting one soon at the moment I using my innokin svd and I love it.

jseams

Mar 13, 2014
San Mateo, CA, USA
I was able to build dual coils on an Aqua using 32g that worked just fine on the MVP 2.0 - I did have to max out the wattage to get a satisfying vape but it worked well... so the sky is the limit!

I would however, stay away from the thicker gauges - although the MVP would fire them if the resistance was high enough they never did get hot enough to produce decent vapor.

Having said that - a single coil tank setup or RDA would probably be less problematic and give you more leeway when choosing gauges and building coils.

BeRight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2009
Ellicott City, Maryland
I think everyone covered all your questions - only thing I might suggest unless you need a multimeter for other uses (always seems to be of use to me) is that your MVP 2 can check your coil resistance.

Reading in the low ohm range - less than 3 ohms - usually means an expensive multimeter or one of those 510 ohms checkers or of course many VV/VW devices can do this.

It is quicker and easier for me to just use my MVP 2 for checking my coil builds. It is also a great device for burning coils clean with its 2600 mah internal battery.

Also, I am starting to down select (by attrition) to only those clearo's/tanks that have coil and parts compatibility and ease of rebuilding coils - such as Kanger.

For out and about I still use plan old boge cartomizers - light for carry - easy to pre fill put caps on both ends - no leaking - carry multiple flavors - last quite awhile with light colored juices and cleaning.

DEAc23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Washington
Thank you very much for taking the time to write that response Btsmokincat, that is definitely very helpful. Also thanks for the reference to 101vapes, that will definitely be where I order from assuming they are reliable. I've been looking quite a bit for a good place to buy these (at a decent price), and all I could find is eBay (I sell stuff on there quite a bit though, so I didn't want to risk my account just to save a little $$ buying an e-cig).

As for the multimeter, I already found one and I was wondering if anyone knows it it's any good, it's on eBay and it's a digital multimeter for around $9 or $10. The model is an XL830L, you can easily find it if by searching google.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

1: Kayfun style; its a bottom coil rebuildable; lots of people use cotton wick on them; you can use silica or mesh if you want.
Good to also get a dripper- cheap, simple, and excellent to practice on;
2: 30 or 28.
32 might be to hard to work with but you could always doublewrap it; 24 would probably be too big.
3: dunno; I think 2mm braided silica wick; braided so it doesn't unravel easily.
4: Yes; especially if you already have your pyrex Nautilus anyway; use pyrex/glass for the long haul.
1516301-9.jpg

And yes it will fit on the mvp2; it has the rock solid eGo thread; will fit better than the Nautilus too; the Nautilus like most other tanks nowadays uses the cartomizer sized 510 thread.
5: That should be it for a start.
6: Your tastebuds are going to change so don't buy too much one 1 eliquid.
7: Lithium battery safety? You should be set good with the MVP, just keep it charged, but for reference:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected-icr.html

lexic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
(snip)3. 5 Pack of Kanger T3S clearomizers (with 5 extra coils, just in case)
(snip)

As another fairly new person I'd like to make a tiny suggestion. I've learned that I mainly like e-liquids that have reputations as "tank crackers". Now I have a handful of MT3S clearomizers that barely see use. If I had a do over I'd buy all glass.. ProTank2 and Protank2 minis. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread